Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Giants Stadium

Thumbs down

How is it that in TX they are building a stadium with 20% more capacity more amenities, some architectural flare and overthe top TV screens yet they payed 30% less for their stadium. From what it seems too the new Meadowlands stadium will not include standing room for the fans, which is a nice gesture by Jerry to his less well-off fans.

As much as I detest the Cowboys per their front running fans and that cheap-shot artist team of theirs, I gotta give the owner credit for evoking a little more achitectural pride into their stadium and giving more of their fans the opportunity to see the games.

I think that this stadium is gonna be the new emblem for bad sports venue architecture (a la Shea Stadium)

At this point I'd even venture to say that its outdated; even before its construction is done...
    Last edited by TREPYE; September 22nd, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Meadowlands Stadium and Cowboys Stadium are indeed vastly different, but I think its too soon to jump to any conclusions as to which is a better stadium.

Meadowlands Stadium actually seats 2,500 more spectators than Cowboys Stadium... the standing room tickets for Cowboys stadium did not even allow the patrons to see the field, as they had to watch the game from the screen inside or out on the plaza. Jerry Jones even said standing room was a temporary or game by game thing.

A comparison to Shea Stadium is far fetched... as Shea was a multi purpose cookie cutter stadium neither suited for football nor baseball. Meadowlands Stadium is actually going in a different direction from many of the recently constructed stadiums in the NFL in that it is a complete bowl. Many new stadiums, including Cowboys Stadium, eliminated endzone seating in favor of exterior views... which eliminates a crowd loudness factor which is actually a large homefield advantage in football.

The ammenities at Meadowlands Stadium are yet to be seen. Though it many not have the flair or flashiness of Cowboys Stadium, it will surely be one of the best NFL stadiums to watch a game.

Were those caged pole dancers I saw up in the rafters?

Dallas has plenty of it. you really don't need to go to an NFL game to get it. I've heard some observations by reporters and players the last few days that the crowd wasn't very noisy. If you can't get it going for a home opener in a brand new stadium against a hated rival...

Amenities are great, but they shouldn't be distractions. You don't want to get rid of the "Dog Pound" aspect of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    How is it that in TX they are building a stadium with 20% more capacity more amenities, some architectural flare and overthe top TV screens yet they payed 30% less for their stadium. From what it seems too the new Meadowlands stadium will not include standing room for the fans, which is a nice gesture by Jerry to his less well-off fans.
    Meadowlands Stadium is bigger than Cowboys Stadium. They only seat 80,000 in Cowboys Stadium.

The other Dallas "attendance" is in the parking lot, watching video screens. If you think it's so "nice" of J. Jones to charge folks to stand in a parking lot and watch a video screen, then be my guest.

As alluded to by Arcman, one major reason that Meadowlands Stadium is so expensive is beacuse it's a full bowl. They don't have this in Dallas.

As to which is better, why don't you actually wait until Meadowlands Stadium is finished before making comparisons?

Yes I should wait till the stadium is finished before I get all critical. I know that so far the outside of it looks hideous and surprizingly ugly. But the standing room only access for the new CB stadium in not just in the outdoors as you mention; these position include views of the field.

I have seen no mention of such space at the new stadium. I do think that the 20,000 extra is a bit much and it is unlikely that all of em had views of the field, but at least it is an option. Football games in NYC sell out like crazy and tix are usually cost prohibitive because of this, thus perhaps a few thousand more tix (no not 20,000 more) in the form of standing room would be a nice gesture to the fans on the part of the Giants and Jets.

Cool New Sponsor

PepsiCo signs on as partner at new Meadowlands stadium

By Star-Ledger Wire Services
    October 22, 2009, 1:12PM

An artist's rendering of the New Meadowlands Stadium being built in East Rutherford.

[/b]EAST RUTHERFORD --[/b] PepsiCo signed an agreement to become the fourth cornerstone partner for the new stadium for the Jets and Giants.

The New Meadowlands Stadium Corporation announced the multiyear deal today. No contract deals immediately available.

MetLife, Verizon and Budweiser had previously signed contracts to be cornerstone partners for the $1.6 billion stadium that is scheduled to open next spring with a concert by Bon Jovi. The first NFL game will be played in the summer.

The teams are still looking to sell the naming rights to the new stadium, which is being constructed next to Giants Stadium.

PepsiCo offers the world's largest portfolio of food and beverage brands.

The deal will begin at the start of the 2010 season. It will give the company beverage exclusivity at the stadium for all non-alcoholic beverages. Pepsi and Gatorade will continue to be the official soft drink and sports drink of the teams.

"We have enjoyed great partnerships with the Jets and Giants over the years and now we're taking it to the next level by joining them in their new state-of-the-art facility," said Jeff Dubiel, Pepsi's vice president of sports marketing. "With the stadium essentially in our backyard, we've seen firsthand the incredible excitement and anticipation it's bringing to the New York area."

As a cornerstone sponsor, PepsiCo will receive exterior branding on the stadium's facade, signage throughout the concourses, and in-stadium branding.

"In what is a challenging time economically, the fact that we have attracted four major corporate sponsors for the stadium is significant," said Mark Lamping, president and chief executive officer of New Meadowlands Stadium Co.

Gatorade has been the sports drink of the Jets and the Giants players for more than 25 years. Pepsi has been the official soft drink of the NFL since 2002, the Giants since 2003 and the Jets since 2004.

Thumbs up field installation at new stadium

looking pretty sweet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meadowlands.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	7920  

Nice!!! The new place looks great so far!!!

Thumbs up Jets, Giants get NFL permission to bid for Super Bowl in 2014

source: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo..._proposal.html

Jets, Giants will bid to host 2014 Super Bowl at new stadium

BY Gary Myers
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The NFL has given the Giants and Jets approval to bid for Super Bowl XLVIII following the 2013 season to be played in their new $1.7 billion stadium that opens next season.

It will take a lot of convincing when NFL owners vote because the league has always required a minimum temperature of 50 degrees or a domed stadium to host the game. The winning bid will be announced at the end of May.

The teams elected not to put a dome - retractable or permanent on the new facility - because of the prohibitive cost. The bid would be a "unique, once-only circumstance based on the opportunity to celebrate the new stadium and the great heritage and history of the NFL in the New York region," according to a statement from the new stadium's management.

The Super Bowl will be in Miami following this season, then the game will be played in the new stadiums in Arlington, Tex., and Indianapolis, the following two years. Each of those stadium have retractable roofs. Then it will be in the Superdome in New Orlans.

There has never been a cold weather Super Bowl played without a dome. The game has been played in domes in Detroit twice and Minneapolis once.

According to the statement, a preliminary proposal to the NFL is due April 1, with the winning bid announced at the end of May. Three other venues have expressed their intention to compete for the hosting rights.

"It's time for the biggest game in football to be played on the biggest stage in the world," said Woody Johnson and Jonathan Tisch, the committee chairmen. "We are confident that the appeal and prestige of the New York City metropolitan region, coupled with the innovative capabilities of our brand-new state-of-the-art facility, can provide a unique and exciting experience for the teams and fans, as well as the entire league and the sport of football. And, of course, we would love to bring the Super Bowl - and its significant economic benefits - to New York and northern New Jersey."

There has been some support for placing the Super Bowl in Giants Stadium following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to show support for New York, but that never gained much momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by arcman210 View Post

... the league has always required a minimum temperature of 50 degrees or a domed stadium to host the game.
    It's a manly game.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell favors Jets, Giants new Meadowlands home as site of 2014 Super Bowl

FORT LAUDERDALE - Commissioner Roger Goodell clearly supports awarding Super Bowl XLVIII to the Giants' and Jets' new stadium in 2014, and Patriots owner Robert Kraft will lobby other owners for it, but Steelers owner Dan Rooney has a big problem with playing the most important game of the year in potentially cold and nasty weather.

The vote comes May 24-26 in Dallas. The lobbying starts now.

There is really just one concern for a Super Bowl on Broadway: The weather, obviously.

"I hope it's there, I hope it snows and I hope the Patriots are in the game," Kraft, one the NFL's most influential owners, said Friday. "I think there is some real support for it. I know I personally will lobby anyone I can."

If the Giants and Jets had splurged for another $400 million-$500 million on top of the $1.7 billion they are spending on the new stadium that opens this year, then the vote may have been unanimous because the NFL has a history of rewarding owners who spend their own money and/or cities who help fund the construction of new stadiums with a Super Bowl.

Even though the new Giants-Jets Stadium will have no roof, Goodell gave every indication he's on board. Even though he doesn't have a vote and says he must remain neutral, his endorsement may be the deciding factor.

"I think there are real benefits to the league considering this as an option," Goodell said Friday during his annual state of the league address at the Super Bowl.

"I think the idea of playing in the elements is central to the way the game of football is played. I think being able to do that and celebrate the game of football in the No. 1 market could have tremendous benefits to the league going forward. I think you will see that - I think our two co-chairmen are here, Woody Johnson and Jon Tisch - they will put together a very aggressive bid, one that will demonstrate the value of playing in New York and they will be competing against some great cities also. It will be an interesting vote, but I will stand on the sidelines and watch."

The NFL waived its cold-weather restriction by allowing the Giants and Jets to make a bid. Allowing it to get this far is an indication there is an awful lot of support. Miami, which is hosting its record 10th Super Bowl Sunday, Glendale, Ariz., and either Tampa or Houston are the competition. Here's how the voting works. If one of the four cities does not get 75% of the vote (24 of the 32 owners) on the first ballot, then the city with the lowest vote is out. The same procedure is used for the second ballot. Then, if there is still no winner, the two remaining cities go head-to-head, with the winner decided by simple majority. "I'm personally a big supporter of having the Super Bowl in the new stadium and in New York," Kraft said. "It doesn't matter what the weather is, in my opinion. It's just a great place. A great boost for the city."

The game would be this weekend in four years, or potentially one or two weeks later depending on whether the regular season is expanded to 17 or 18 games. And with this weekend's forecast for snow, a snowy weekend in 2014 is obviously a possibility.Rooney, who is now the United States ambassador to Ireland, says his son Art has his team's vote, but he thinks the weather is a major concern. "Are they going to put a roof on it?" Rooney said.

No, he was told.

"Then they are going to have some trouble," he said. "There are a lot of people who think we should be in a warm climate all the time. The weather would be something you would have to consider."

But some of the most memorable NFL playoff games have been played in adverse conditions: the Ice Bowl game between Dallas and Green Bay; the Snow Bowl game between Oakland and New England and the Inhumanely Frigid Bowl between the Giants and Packers two years ago in minus-23 wind chill.

All great games. "That is true," Rooney said. "It's still cold."

Rooney wouldn't say how the Steelers would ultimately vote. One thing to keep in mind: The Rooney and Mara families are extraordinarily close.

"I am cautiously optimistic that the bid will be viewed by the owners as something exciting and different," Tisch said. "There is an understanding that this is a game that is played in all kinds of weather. It's the history of the game that should be taken into consideration when you think about the game at the new Giants-Jets stadium."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...uper_wish.html

As Stadiums Vanish, Their Debt Lives On

NY TIMES
    By KEN BELSON
    September 7, 2010

It’s the gift that keeps on taking. The old Giants Stadium, demolished to make way for New Meadowlands Stadium, still carries about $110 million in debt, or nearly $13 for every New Jersey resident, even though it is now a parking lot.

The financial hole was dug over decades by politicians who passed along the cost of building and fixing the stadium, and it is getting deeper. With the razing of the old stadium and the Giantsand the Jets moving into their splashy new home next door, a big source of revenue to pay down the debt has shriveled.

New Jerseyans are hardly alone in paying for stadiums that no longer exist. Residents of Seattle’s King County owe more than $80 million for the Kingdome, which was razed in 2000. The story has been similar in Indianapolis and Philadelphia. In Houston, Kansas City, Mo., Memphis and Pittsburgh, residents are paying for stadiums and arenas that were abandoned by the teams they were built for.

But befitting its name, Giants Stadium is the granddaddy of phantom facilities. Taxpayers in New Jersey, already under pressure from declining local government revenues, this year will pay $35.8 million in principal and interest on the $266 million in remaining bonds for the Meadowlands Sports Complex, which opened in 1976 and includes the Izod Center and a horse racing track. Those bonds will not be paid until 2025.

For its first decade, the complex was a success. But its fortunes faded as horse racing declined, the Nets and the Devils left for Newark, and the Jets and the Giants built their own $1.6 billion stadium next door, which will host its first National Football League regular-season game Sunday.

To offset its declining revenue, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which runs the sports complex but not the New Meadowlands Stadium, expanded instead of contracting: building aquariums, convention centers and other facilities, issuing hundreds of millions of dollars in additional bonds.

How municipalities acquire so much debt on buildings that have been torn down or are underused illustrates the excesses of publicly financed stadiums and the almost mystical sway professional sports teams have over politicians, voters and fans.

Rather than confront teams, they have often buckled when owners — usually threatening to move — have demanded that the public pay for new suites, parking or arenas and stadiums.

With state and local budgets stretched by the recession, politicians are only now starting to look askance at privately held teams trying to tap the public till.

“The Meadowlands wasn’t a bad idea, but rather than pay it off, they let it ride,” said Steven Malanga, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, who has written about the perils of publicly financed stadiums. “Politicians essentially turned a good thing into a money loser for taxpayers at exactly the wrong time.”

Paying for arenas and stadiums that are now gone or empty is a result of a trend that stretches back decades. Until the 1960s, public works were often defined as bridges, roads, sewers and so on: basic infrastructure that was used by all and was unlikely to be built by the private sector. With few exceptions, like County Stadium in Milwaukee, teams constructed their own stadiums.

As pro sports expanded into cities from coast to coast, politicians and business leaders pushed for taxpayer-financed stadiums to lure teams. To name a few, New York built Shea Stadium for the expansion Mets, Atlanta put up Fulton County Stadium to lure the Braves from Milwaukee, and Oakland built a stadium to entice the Athletics to move from Kansas City, Mo.

Soon after, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati built stadiums for teams already there. In some cases, cities justified the expense as a way to keep owners from moving their teams. In other cases, politicians argued that the stadiums would generate enough revenue to cover the construction cost.

Competing With New York

Politicians and business leaders in New Jersey made the same claims when they created the sports complex in the Meadowlands, with a few twists. For one, they viewed the project as a way to compete with New York, which cast a long shadow in the region. Persuading the Mara family to move the Giants to New Jersey was a coup for the state, even if the team still keeps New York in its name.

But while other cities raised or introduced taxes to pay for their stadiums, the project’s chief cheerleader, Gov. William T. Cahill, promised that the racetrack would pay for itself and Giants Stadium, and that taxpayers would not be liable. In effect, the state gambled on gambling.

To ensure that there was enough money, the racetrack in the Meadowlands was allowed to keep 12 percent of each dollar bet as opposed to 5 percent at other tracks in New Jersey. That way, more cash would be available for other building projects and any excess would be sent to the state.

But Moody’s Investors Service was skeptical that a racetrack in the Meadowlands could generate enough money to pay for the $300 million in bonds the Sports and Exposition Authority wanted to issue. In a report issued in 1974, Moody’s said that “the market for wagering in the New York metropolitan area” is “already heavily catered to.”

Fearful that their sports empire would not be built, lawmakers in New Jersey grudgingly gave their “moral pledge” to back the bonds.

Early Success

At first, the sports complex boomed. Pegasus, the restaurant atop the racetrack, was an instant hit. The Giants sold out regularly despite mediocre teams. The authority covered its interest and principal payments and sent $60 million in profits to the state in its first six years.

State-sponsored authorities that can raise money by issuing bonds are often formed to create projects that politicians are unable or unwilling to create themselves. But they often become victims of their own success, and the authority in the Meadowlands was no different.

“Initially, the complex had a strong economic rationale,” said James W. Hughes, the dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University. “But this being New Jersey, they couldn’t leave well enough alone. All of a sudden, what had been a net revenue producer gradually slipped into the red.”

In 1981, as a recession eroded profits at the track, the authority built an arena that cost about $85 million, nearly twice as much as expected. The authority received a boost when the Jets moved to the Meadowlands and the short-lived United States Football League played at Giants Stadium in the middle of the 1980s.

But the casinos in Atlantic City, off-track betting in New York and state-run lotteries continued to chip away at the racetrack’s take, which accounted for the bulk of the authority’s income.

“By the 1980s, people realized competition had become keen for gaming,” said Jon F. Hanson, who was the chairman of the Sports and Exposition Authority for most of that decade. Eager for new revenue, he and the authority tried to build a new stadium to lure the Yankees to New Jersey. But the authority still had $356 million in bonds to pay off, and its main source of income was under attack. From 1987 to 1989, attendance at the racetrack fell 12 percent, or about $10 million less in profits.

So, the authority asked lawmakers to return the $60 million in profits it had sent to Trenton, a request that was denied. Voters rejected a proposal to issue $185 million in stadium bonds. Charles L. Hardwick, the speaker of the Assembly at the time, said the authority needed “better long-term planning and a cost-cutting program, not a massive infusion of state money, in order to maintain good financial health.”

Mandate Expanded

Hand-wringing aside, lawmakers in New Jersey have used the authority when it has suited their needs, as a source of jobs for their constituents or as a developer of projects like the renovation of the football stadium at Rutgers University and the construction of an aquarium in Camden, a two-hour drive from the Meadowlands.

By expanding the authority’s portfolio, though, they further strained its finances. So in 1992, the state began taking the authority’s debts onto its balance sheet. Because the state has retired and refinanced most of the authority’s bonds, it is difficult to say precisely how much debt is tied just to Giants Stadium.

But George R. Zoffinger, the chief executive of the authority until 2007, says that there is roughly $110 million in debt on the stadium. About $75 million in debt remains for the Izod Center, which lost its two anchor tenants, the Devils and the Nets, in recent years. The rest was tied to the racetrack.

The finances of public authorities are often murky. To determine that the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, which was demolished in 2008, has $61 million in debt remaining and will not be paid off until 2021, one must sift through 700 pages of bond documents.

With more than four decades of evidence to back them up, economists almost uniformly agree that publicly financed stadiums rarely pay for themselves. The notable successes like Camden Yards in Baltimore often involve dedicated taxes or large infusions of private money. Even then, using one tax to finance a stadium can often steer spending away from other, perhaps worthier, projects.

“Stadiums are sold as enormous draws for events, but the economics are clear that they aren’t helping,” said Andrew Moylan, the director of government affairs at the National Taxpayers Union. “It’s another way to add insult to injury for taxpayers.”

No Quick Solutions

Some politicians in New Jersey applaud the Jets and the Giants for building their own stadium. But the old Giants Stadium generated about $20 million a year for the authority. Now, the agency will receive only $6.3 million in lease payments from the teams, and needs additional state subsidies.

The authority has promoted Xanadu, a privately built retail complex that has yet to open next to the Izod Center. But desperate to plug holes, the authority has spent the entire $160 million in rent payments it received from the developers. Some of the money was meant to pay off debt associated with the arena and the stadium, and was supposed to last 15 years.

During hearings in Trenton this year, Dennis Robinson, the president of the authority, said the sports complex generated tens of millions of dollars a year for the state from its facilities and in associated economic benefits. But the continued erosion of receipts at the racetrack and the loss of a football stadium have diminished the authority, which has laid off nearly half its full-time staff since 2002.

Eager to cut the state’s losses, Gov. Chris Christie in July endorsed proposals to lease the Izod Center and the racetrack in the Meadowlands to outside operators. But Gov. Christie was less precise about how the state would pay off the authority’s bonds, including those issued to pay for Giants Stadium.

“Believe me, I’m not unaware of the debt situation that was left here in my lap by decisions made by previous administrations,” Gov. Christie said, speaking from the 50-yard line at New Meadowlands Stadium. “But we’re just going to have to deal with it.”

Jo Craven McGinty and Griff Palmer contributed reporting.

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

A couple shots of the old stadium coming down in June of 2010

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0035_SM.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	14800

Name:	_DSC0036_SM.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	14801

Name:	_DSC0047_SM.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	14802

I've grown to dislike the new stadium. Obviously I don't have the luxury seats, I'm sure those people are thrilled. I'm up in the upper deck where I've been for 27 years. It now takes three escalators and weaving through the crowds to get up there, it used to take just one. No improvement in the bathroom lines either. Parking is more expensive and a huge hassle if you don't have the pass. The stadium is all exposed pipes, gray paint, and bare bones. And the PSL's! Plus my seats are farther away because the stadium is bigger. I also miss smoking cigars on the spirals at half time. And it's not Giants Stadium anymore, it's not Our House, it's MetLife Stadium for chrissake with the Jets. Because the Giants won the Super Bowl they should at least get to call it Giants Stadium until the Jets win. Video screens are bigger, true, but from my perspective the stadium is no better than before just more expensive.

Sad to here that. It does look more industrial on the outside. Maybe the conveniences were made for the team & the VIPs. Bathrooms & escalators would have been in the top three on the list of fans' concerns, second to seating.

I just noticed in those pics above they left that Bud Light sign up til the last minute. Jeez I'm sure their sales wouldn't have suffered that much if they took it down first.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213