Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kosciuszko Bridge

Part of todays article. The design alternatives have been posted before.

February 18, 2010, 7:37 pm
    A Tired Old Bridge Gets a New Look. No, Four of Them.

By ANDY NEWMAN

Bridge option 3: box girder design.

For a public work named after a champion of liberty, the Kosciuszko Bridge has taken its share of prisoners over the years.

The bridge, the hyphen in the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, connecting the two boroughs as it soars 128 feet above the oily murk of Newtown Creek, is perhaps the cityís most notorious span, hated and feared by drivers and synonymous in traffic reports with bottlenecks, stop-and-go and general delay. Last year, it topped a construction-industry groupís list of the most decrepit elevated roadways in the city.

That was the old Kosciuszko Bridge. On Thursday, the state Department of Transportation had a coming-out party for the new bridge Ė or bridges.

Four renderings, presented at a public meeting at a Christ the King High School in Queens and reproduced here, offer drivers a range of aesthetic options, from the grimly or primly utilitarian to the relatively fanciful.

COMPLETE ARTICLE

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post
    Four renderings, presented at a public meeting ...
    No. 2 and No.1 are both nice.

Test Drive the New Kosciuszko!

By ANDY NEWMAN

(see blog entry for video)

In addition to releasing four proposed designs for a replacement for the crumbling Kosciuszko Bridge, the State Department of Transportationís Division of Video Games and Special Effects (we made that up) has produced driverís-eye-view simulations of trips across each version of the bridge (we didnít make that up).

Hereís the virtual tour of the cable-stayed design alternative for the bridge. Be patient ó the actual driving part doesnít start until about 1 minute 30 seconds in. Please maintain a safe following distance from the car in front of you at all times.

The department is taking public input and comment on these designs for an indefinite period, and as we mentioned, you can give the bureaucrats your feedback at the bridgeís official Web site and by e-mail.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ew-kosciuzsko/

Are there structural reasons why 1,2, or 4 (the prettier bridges) would be a better choice?

Seems #3, though boring as all hell, would be the simplest (and hopefully fastest/cheapest) to construct.

I definitely feel the current Kosciuszko Bridge is really deteriorating, the bridge definitely cannot handle a Catergory 3 hurricane and 5.0 Magnitude Earthquake. While not worrying and worrying about the current bridge, I have to review the new finalist designs.

Design 1 & 2 is my favorite, overall Design 1 is my overall choice.

Design 1 looks a lot like Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge in Boston, MA, Design 1 have the bold, strong and modern look not carried in other bridges around the City of New York, while also makes a unique landscape just east of the developing areas of the Broroughs of Queens & Brooklyn.

Design 2 looks a lot like the Old Kosciuszko Bridge in NYC, NY (not to be confused with the one above the NYS Capital) while having a very strong support and striking design. Design 2 have the ease of design while carrying a bold statement, also refreshing and carry a more modern landscape just east of the developing areas of the Boroughs of Queens & Brooklyn.

Design 3 & 4 looks lame and I don't really like, while both are ideal designs for cost cutting measures.

Design 3 looks like the bridge traveled by the I-495 nearby, while it could make the Manhattan Skyline more clear and seeable and make a simple in design statement.

Design 4 looks like Design 3 but the designer tried to make it look nicer and more 21st Century but failed at somepoint, it is still my choice comparing Design 3 & 4.

Different spins on the new span: Public gets chance to pick design for Kosciuszko Bridge

BY Leigh Remizowski

The aging Kosciuszko Bridge isn't about to win any fans - be they motorists or architects - but a new incarnation may finally earn it some kudos.

The state Transportation Department kicked off a series of open houses last week to collect public comment on the four possible designs for the long-awaited structure, which carries the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway over Newtown Creek.

"I'm looking for the dramatic," said Jessame Hannus, 39, of Rego Park. Her top choice was the "cable-stayed" design, which has cables fanning out from the peaks of two tall towers.

"I'm a cyclist so I'm always looking for a vista, or a view," she said. "This could be a tourist attraction."

All four designs have nine lanes of traffic and a two-way bike lane on the west side of the bridge.

The other three designs are a "box girder," with no structures higher than the road; a "deck arch," featuring a truncated arch under the roadway; and a "through arch," where a full arch rises above the deck.

The Transportation Department added the box girder option to the three chosen in October by project stakeholders.

"It's one of the simpler bridge types," said project manager Steve Bennett.

Lillian Cyran, 85, who uses the bridge several times a week when she travels from her home in Maspeth to New Jersey or to visit family in Brooklyn, favored the through arch.

"It looks prettier and more stable," she said. "I like an archway and I think it would be stronger than the cables."

The project price tag is roughly $1 billion, give or take 4% depending on the design, agency officials said, though it was unclear which option would cost more.

The maintenance cost will also vary, depending on the design.

Maspeth resident Walter Szulecki, 77, went to the open house wondering about how the bridge would affect his commute.

"I want to know that the old one will stay up while the new one is being built," he said. "With so many cars on that road, it's not going to be easy."

Project manager Robert Adams said not to worry. "There will be no detours, and no diversions to local streets," he said.

Construction will not begin until 2014. Before then, a design will be selected and finalized and all land-acquisition deals must be completed, Adams said.

"We're still going through the lengthy process of trying to secure a deal that we deem fair," said Adam Gold, president of Karp Associates, one of the businesses that must move to make way for the bridge.

"We were promised a couple of years to transition and the clock is kind of ticking," said Gold, who did not attend the open house.

"All the designs are certainly better than what's there," Gold said. "What it means is the project is moving forward. But how quickly it's going to move is the question."

The next open house is tomorrow at 3 p.m. at St. Cecelia's Church, 84 Herbert St., Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

Two of them look like a bridge. The others like an overpass.

Default Rochester's I-490 Bridge

The first bridge shown on Merry's post #22-- the through-arch structure-- closely resembles the new triple-arch bridge ( the "Frederick Douglass/ Susan B Anthony Memorial Bridge" )that carries I-490 over the Genesee River just South of Downtown Rochester.

Rochester residents have praised the design, and it has won several awards for its asthetics. It is an attractive addition to downtown Rochester and appears to be on its way to becoming a signature for the city.

( BTW--The Genesee River is one of only 5 major rivers in the USA that flows Northward)
    Last edited by Hof; March 3rd, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

I vote for the box girder design. Simple. Probably the cheapest of the bunch. I see no need for a signature bridge at this location.

Now, if someone would like to dismantle the Bayonne Bridge and move it to THIS location, that would be clever. After all, if London Bridge can be dismantled, shipped across the Atlantic Ocean and rebuilt in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, certainly the Bayonne Bridge can be shipped from the Kill van Kull to this new location.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of an accident on the Kosciuszko brindge back in 1977. My mom died in the accident and I have been trying to find out some info. anyone with any info e-mail me @ bgbadtrk@yahoo.com - thanks

This is a bridge in Taiwan.

300217louis

300217louis

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    The first bridge shown on Merry's post #22-- the through-arch structure-- closely resembles the new triple-arch bridge ( the "Frederick Douglass/ Susan B Anthony Memorial Bridge" )that carries I-490 over the Genesee River just South of Downtown Rochester.

Rochester residents have praised the design, and it has won several awards for its asthetics. It is an attractive addition to downtown Rochester and appears to be on its way to becoming a signature for the city.

( BTW--The Genesee River is one of only 5 major rivers in the USA that flows Northward)
    ^

Forum Veteran

The the underside Arch would fit the location the best. Cable Stayed is best for wider channels , i beleave all the New Staten Island Crossings will be Cable Stayed.

So it seems this design won:

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...century-bridge

NY Observer
    New York Gets Its First 21st Century Bridge

By Matt Chaban
    October 11, 2010 | 3:35 p.m

Ever since the collapse of the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis, cities across the country have been warily reevaluating their roadway infrastructure. In New York, some of our bridges earned failing grades. The Brooklyn Bridge was among them and is currently being repaired. Others are in better shape, but not by much. Among them is the Kosciuzko Bridge, which carries the Brooklyn Queens Expressway over Newtown Creek from one borough to the other.

Last week, the state Department of Transportation announced it had selected a new bridge to replace the old Kosciuzko. The steel truss span is one of the steepest bridges in the city and carries 160,000 drivers per day. Last fall, the state unveiled three designs for the new bridge, including standard concrete deck arch and through arch proposals as well as a more modern cable-stayed model.

As a sign of New Yorkers' growing design savvy, the latter won out, with almost half the public voting for it. Construction is expected to begin on the new $1 billion bridge later this year, with a completion date set for 2017.

Default Kosciuzko Bridge

Does anyone know what section of Calvery Cemetery is near the Kosciuzko Bridge? My Dad was buried there in 1939 & I'm trying to find some information on the whereabouts of the grave.
    thank you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast