Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: World's most unique city? Best designed?

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    pianoman11686 writes: “…London…expensive restaurants offer the best food you'll find anywhere, but "cheaper" food is terrible”

There’s some truth to that. Indeed there are plenty of mediocre yet very expensive restaurants. However, there is a growing middle tier of chains and gastro-pubs where the food is increasingly good and less expensive than the top places (though still eye-popping to, say, a Spaniard).

A consideration: everyone can use a guide to find a few exceptional restaurants. But the average tourist looking for nosh near, say, a tourist site will get screwed, while a local might know a nearby, hidden away place that is good yet cheap. That may shape a lot of people’s vision of London ‘everyday’ food. Similarly, as an outsider, I found that “non-researched” eating experiences in NYC were abysmal. I’m sure that had I been accompanied by one of you folks, it might have been different. In the end, I just ate at ‘known’ places the entire time I was there. Not cheap (Breakfast at BAlthazaar every morning anyone?), but satisfying.
    My comments are solely based on the experiences of fellow students who have studied abroad for a semester in London, most of whom have also spent some time in New York. The general theme was the same: overpriced, low quality pub food or Indian fast food is plentiful, but unsatisfying. New York seemed to have not only cheaper food at a higher quality, but also a greater selection.

pianoman11686 writes: “Most stylish? I don't know, but I think it's probably a toss-up between Paris, Milan, and Barcelona.”

In terms of what? Not challenging you, just curious? Do you mean how people dress? Urban setting? Interior design? Shops? A mix of those?
    Stylish as far as the people and how much of an emphasis is placed on fashion, relative to all other things. Like I said, I can't offer a definitive answer because I haven't been to these places. But I get the sense that because London is so much more of a business/financial center than either Paris, Milan, or Barcelona, all of which are major cultural and design centers, I'd guess any of the latter would better deserve the title of "most stylish city."

Cheap pizza is of the same standard as a doner kebab, thing is most americans arent used to that so they see it as worse.

In the end, I just ate at ‘known’ places the entire time I was there. Not cheap (Breakfast at BAlthazaar every morning anyone?), but satisfying.
    Now this is just nuts. You actually felt that you needed to get breakfast from Balthazar each day, what, for fear of substandard eggs or toast? I never heard anything so pretentious or just plain goofy. NYC has great breakfasts just about everywhere, for so cheap and very satisfying. I had a breakfast plate and orange juice this morning from the deli below my building for less than 4 dollars and it was very very good. You find the same on every block.
    I also don't buy the bit about
    Similarly, as an outsider, I found that “non-researched” eating experiences in NYC were abysmal.
    The food in NYC is great, for variety, quality, price and portion it has London clobbered. There is a much better chance here of ending up pleasantly surprised by your meal in NY, even in the ubiquitous Greek owned diners you get better food than in so many restaurants in London or even the rest of Europe. European restaurants in general are great if you are wealthy,they just don't have good medium priced food.When they do, it's portioned for someone with a stapled stomach.
    When I'm in Europe I often end up self-catering my meals; I must admit they have decent prices/quality in supermarkets. Except maybe the tuna fish. What is that disgusting cat food Europeans call tuna? It's practically brown.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Now this is just nuts. You actually felt that you needed to get breakfast from Balthazar each day, what, for fear of substandard eggs or toast? I never heard anything so pretentious or just plain goofy. NYC has great breakfasts just about everywhere, for so cheap and very satisfying. I had a breakfast plate and orange juice this morning from the deli below my building for less than 4 dollars and it was very very good. You find the same on every block.
    I also don't buy the bit about
    The food in NYC is great, for variety, quality, price and portion it has London clobbered. There is a much better chance here of ending up pleasantly surprised by your meal in NY, even in the ubiquitous Greek owned diners you get better food than in so many restaurants in London or even the rest of Europe. European restaurants in general are great if you are wealthy,they just don't have good medium priced food.When they do, it's portioned for someone with a stapled stomach.
    When I'm in Europe I often end up self-catering my meals; I must admit they have decent prices/quality in supermarkets. Except maybe the tuna fish. What is that disgusting cat food Europeans call tuna? It's practically brown.
    I don't know why you have to get all hot and bothered about it.

I've tried throughout to be as 'neutral' and even-handed as possible. There is obviously an element of subjectivity, too. The first two breakfasts I had in local non-descript places in thw Village were poor. Balthazaar was a bracing morning stroll away and their breakfast was good. Why is that 'pretentious?
    I'm Italian: I'd rather buy less 'stuff' and spend all my holiday money on food. I mostly come to New York for the streetscape (that's free) and some fo the arts events (usually quite cheap). I don't stay at the Pierre and I don't pay 200 US$ for 'bottle service'...

I'm sure that with better local knowledge I could get good breakfasts at a more approachable price. Later on I found a place in the West Village that did good sort-of-middle-American food. had something like "Cowgirl" in the name.

Instead of gettin' all riled up, MTG, whyen't you tell me some good places to get breakfast downtown?

Fair enough, I must have taken it the wrong way. My apologies.

(

to SSC folks)

^yep that's me, Im zupermaus there, and muppet on SSP. The original was a post I did on wirednewyork on a design of cities thread, that got a bit out of hand. I ended up doing Tokyo, Istanbul, Paris, and Athens too. Started doing a Mexico City one but twas deleted off SSP halfway through :

this is complicated

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456