Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 50-Story Office Tower in Queens?

Default A 50-Story Office Tower in Queens?

My friend said he read a few days ago in the paper that there was a plan for a 50-floor office tower near the Citigroup (in Queens), and it would be equal or slightly taller. Of course I was excited and asked if he was mistaken it for the new apartment towers, he said no and told me he was 100% sure about what he read. Now I never heard anything at all about this and wondered if anyone else did. If it's true it's great news!

Forum Veteran

Well, there was an article or two mentioning the 15 story 30-30 Northern Boulevard, which would be by Citibank. That's probably it.

Not being pessimistic or anything, but I think he misread.

Forum Veteran

He didn't, Gul. I know the article; it was in the Daily News a couple of days ago. It'll be on Queens Plaza—not Queens West—on the site of that ugly concrete parking garage.

Forum Veteran

Here we go:

Speyer lands Queens bldg.

By LORE CROGHAN
    DAILY NEWS BUSINESS WRITER

Queens Plaza Municipal Garage is scheduled to be redeveloped.

Where is real estate mogul Jerry Speyer going now? He's going to Queens.

The city picked the owner of world-famous Rockefeller Center and the Chrysler Building to build a mammoth tower of at least a million square feet at the Long Island City site where Queens Plaza Muncipal Garage stands.

Speyer won the right to build the office tower at Jackson Avenue and Queens Plaza South, which could be tall enough to rival Citigroup's 50-story skyscraper nearby.

Speyer's partner is the Modell family, which leases 200,000 square feet of retail space inside the ugly concrete parking facility.

Finding a builder to buy the city-owned site has been important to the Bloomberg administration. It wants to promote economic growth in Long Island City, where a 37-block area has been rezoned for high-rise development.

An earlier choice for the job, Louis Dreyfus Property Group, backed out last year.

"The city is committed to developing central business districts outside Manhattan, and Long Island City and Downtown Brooklyn are two of the keys to that development," city Economic Development Corp. spokeswoman Janel Patterson told the Daily News.

Speyer, who's trying to get the city Department of Transportation to serve as a 250,000-square-foot anchor tenant for the project, declined to comment.

He and the Modells were chosen for the assignment over Bruce Ratner, who made his mark by developing MetroTech in Downtown Brooklyn.

The boroughs beyond Manhattan are unfamiliar terrain for Speyer. He owns trophy properties from Berlin to Buenos Aires to Fifth Avenue.

"He's a major player," said Gail Roseman, a Sholom & Zuckerbrot Realty broker who's also president of the Queens Economic Development Corp. "This is confirmation that Long Island City can really happen."

Unlike Speyer, the Modells go way back in Long Island City. Until the mid-1990s, their sporting goods retailing business was headquartered on Vernon Boulevard. They've owned property across from the parking garage for more than 20 years.

Their site could be developed in tandem with the garage to create a huge office campus - a prospect that has business boosters in the neighborhood cheering.

"We believe the development of the garage will jump-start the revitalization of Queens Plaza," said Gayle Baron, president of the Long Island City Business Development Corp. "It's a real positive."

Originally published on September 26, 2003

©The New York Daily News 2003

Good news.
    I'm not sure the timing is right, but I've always thought that Citigroup needed a companion. Well, at least one.

Tishman Speyer has an admirable, long history as a New York developer. Their most recent acclimates are commisioning Foster for the Hearst Tower, and Philip Johnson for the Chrysler Center.

And Tishman Speyer was behind the Messetrum and the revivification of Frankfurt. In addition Tishman Speyer is one of the very few developers who still builds speculatively. Their involvement could easily jump-start Queens Plaza as an extension of Midtown East.

Louis Dreyfus and The Arete Group had proposed a grouping of tall highrises, the tallest would have been where the garage is:

Following the events of September 11th, Louis Dreyfus had pulled out of its involvement in all of its properties.

Im also happy that this will not further the Ratner monopoly, and a monotony of regrettable architecture.

Angles and slanted roofs everywhere...
    Well, it's not inelegant.

The 50-story building shouldbe much more slender, especially if it contains only one million square ft of offices.

Since my tendency to print doom-n-gloom posts has been well-noted, I hate to do this, but here goes: for how many years has Queens been touted as "the next big thing"? The Citigroup Tower is fifteen years old and its neighbors are a bunch of warehouses and derelict structures. Queens West was supposed to be the next Battery Park City -- twenty years ago.

If Tishman Speyer is really going to get busy, more power to him. But I won't hold my breath waiting for that abomination of a garage to come down next to Queensboro Plaza.

At least that incongruous avatar is gone.

It's true...my Elmo avatar has crossed over to the land of wind & ghosts.

I see that posters on this revamped forum some pretty fab avatars. I'm jealous; I'll have to get hip.

Wow! This is awesome! Let's hope this trend continues, but I think the area is better suited for residential. Also, I'll try to get more info about what the final rendering looks like.

Forum Veteran

Development takes time, anyway. It took about two decades for Battery Park City to reach its full potential, didn't it?

Edward, is it possible that you could add some more avatars? I miss JD's Elmo.

this is great, i cant wait till they get rid of that FUGLY parking garage!! everytime i look at that thing i just feel bad, its also a perfect location for an office building with the N,R,E,F,G,V,7 subway lines right there!

Are you talking about a site where there are 3-4 cranes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast