Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Citigroup Center - 153 East 53rd Street - by Stubbins Associates / Emery Roth & Sons

Default Citigroup Center - 153 East 53rd Street - by Stubbins Associates / Emery Roth & Sons

I'm not sure whats going on with the citicorp centre but the past week or so i've noticed that the very top is being repaired or renovated or something has happened to it. Some of the panneling has been removed, is it a new ventillation tactic or something? does anyone know what's going on?

Forum Veteran

They remove the panels all the time. The window-washing equiment is in there, so they're always opening and closing the panels depending on what section needs to be cleaned. Frankly, the top could use a bit of a scrubbing as well.

Oh thank god! I've never seen them removing the top panels before though, just the sides.

i wonder if its even possible to clean the white part above the panels, i mean do they have some kind of machine that would ride along the slanted roof and lower down guys to scrub it? It doesnt look like theres any tracks on the slant for a window washer set up. Has anyone ever seen them clean the top white parts since the building was made??

Not me, Ive never seen those parts cleaned.

They need it though!

Hopefully they'll be able to clean the slanted roofs of the WTC when it is completed.

Well... if you think about it, taking into account the original use of the buildings slanted top, that they would have to keep the solar panels clean... Thats why i believe the panels on the roof have little tracks for a machine that washes up and down the roof panels... As for the window washing machine on the side panels... it is actually very innovative... every picture you see of the building it is never perfect...

I dont know why but thats something I love about it, the fact that the pannels around the top are always open.

i like the black gaps when the panels are open, it adds something to the look of the building, otherwise it would be a solid white wall all the way to the top.

You know about the tuned mass damper up it the top, right? Its very cool.

yeah I know about that, Its a great building!

I am glad that the figured out the buildings weakness around the time when it was cmpleted...I dont think it would have been a pretty site if an extremely fast gust of wind toppled the tower

Forum Veteran

Some people have suggested removing the panels permanently, glassing the enclosure in aside from where the window-washing equipment needs to exit, and making the floor into a public restaurant or observation deck. I think it would be a cool idea, seeing this giant wedge levitating above a 60-story office tower...

When it comes to areas of buildings where the space is tight or has extreme angles, they usually have guys suspended in harnesses clean those areas.

I have seen it done on buildings in Houston and Chicago.

I have also seen Citicorp with the panels opened on all four sides but I could not see through the inside.

Does anyone here know of the sory of how the top became slanted? There are actually two, but does anyone know?

I think that one of them is that It was origionally intended to have solar panels on the roof, but everyone already knows that right?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast