Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Citigroup Center - 153 East 53rd Street - by Stubbins Associates / Emery Roth & Sons

You mean he's gonna tip over from the weight of numbers?

Better you than Citicorp.

Well, I learned something today.

Any info on the project going on at street level along Lexington at the Citicorp building? Seems they're building a major new entrance.

The pictures aren't very good ; I snapped them last Friday as I was dodging the sleet.

I can't find the job / documents at DOB, which would reveal the architect.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citicorp_01 (3).jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	6699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citicorp_01 (5).jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	6700  

Anything to do with this?

'Citigroup Center' To Become Scintillating '601 Lexington Ave.'

by Dana Rubinstein
    3:09 PM December 12, 2008

Bloomberg.
    The Citigroup Center.

Poor Citigroup. Not only has the bank suffered the indignity of a $45 billion bailout, but now Bloomberg News is reporting that the bank's name will be stripped from the facade of the imposing building at 601 Lexington Avenue.

At some point next year, the building, owned by Mort Zuckerman's Boston Properties, will, after 30 years of being known simply as the "Citigroup Center," be rechristened simply "601 Lexington Ave." The bank, headquarted at 399 Park Avenue, occupies just three floors in the 59-story building. According to Bloomberg:
    Building owner Boston Properties Inc. will rename the tower 601 Lexington Ave. next year after completing lobby and plaza renovations, said Arista Joyner, a spokeswoman for the real estate company. The move “doesn’t have anything to do with Citi’s current difficulties,” she said.

Even so, in the very same article, Boston Properties senior vice president Robert Selsam complains, “[F]rankly, we’re tired of the fact that every time Citibank has a problem all of the TV cameras come and photograph the Citigroup Center sign on the front of our building.”

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...-lexington-ave

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post
    Even so, in the very same article, Boston Properties senior vice president Robert Selsam complains, “[F]rankly, we’re tired of the fact that every time Citibank has a problem all of the TV cameras come and photograph the Citigroup Center sign on the front of our building.”

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...-lexington-ave

Well you know what, schmuck, you can go ahead and try to rename it but this tower is/should and will always be known as the citicorp Building to New Yorkers, tourists and anyone who sees it on the TV just as the Woolworth, Seagrams, Singer, One Chase, Metlife tower, New York Life, Hemsley are all associated with a certain architectural motif.

Striped building around the low 50s on the East side with the sloped 45 degree roof= Citicorp Center.

Maybe it could inspire you a-holes at Boston Properties can produce something that can be even in the same startosphere of quality as the CITICORP CENTER.

Thats what they are worred about? Idiots.

Thanks, brianac. That definitely looks like the answer.

I checked DOB for 601 Lexington (rather than 599 Lexington, the Citicorp Center address) and came up with a slew of Applications / Permits. A number of those are for "TSA of Massachusetts, LLP" Architects, which happens to be the new name for a firm that previously was called "The Stubbins Associates" and which derived from the firm of Hugh Stubbins, who designed the original Citicorp Building back in 1976 - 78.

Still have been unsuccessful in tracking down renders or a clearer description of what's in store.

Maybe Mort et al will call this The Boston Building

I asked about this renovation about 4 weeks ago on the 610 Lexington thread. Its good to finally get the answer.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post
    “[F]rankly, we’re tired of the fact that every time Citibank has a problem all of the TV cameras come and photograph the Citigroup Center sign on the front of our building.”
    Will the media now go to Citifield instead?

By the way, Boston Properties is so dumb. Sure the media focus on Citigroup may be negative but the publicity the tower gets is priceless.

You get free publicity and you don't want it? Boston Properties and Mort Zuckerman are as dumb as they are architecturally challenged.

^I was thinking the same thing. Maybe terrorism is an issue also.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

A blip to Citi - now that they have the Shea Stadium naming rights, this signage is bush league. This would have been a bigger deal if the signage was up top and not at street level.

But this is all probably going to be a moot conversation a few years down the road when Citi ends up being owned/controlled by another brand.

The Citigroup signage should be placed on 785 Eighth Ave.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    But this is all probably going to be a moot conversation a few years down the road when Citi ends up being owned/controlled by another brand.
    I would certainly hope not. I hope they recover and eat up other non-NY banks instead.

Hey, I'm a homer.

(But they really need to make management changes and a whole company wide attitude overhaul to be more banking-friendly for their customers.)

The structure being built underneath the tower, shown in Lofter's pictures above, is starting to reveal itself. It's one of those clamped glass thingys. Not sure what purpose it will serve other than an enclosed walkway from Lexington to the entrance. I'll try to snap some pictures later when I go out.

Default new entry basically finished

hmmm....not so thrilled with this. I liked things better before-when there was nothing there. This is so much, to do so little.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast