Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 40 Wall Street - Trump Building - Financial District - by H. Craig Severance

Default 40 Wall Street - Trump Building - Financial District - by H. Craig Severance

I am from Brooklyn, and I haven't been to NY for a couple of years, but one thing that I always wondered is, are they ever going to light up the spire to 40 Wall St like American International Building ? I believe it would make the downtown skyline more magnifisent at night. It just looks invisible at night and it should stand out as well.

Forum Veteran

From time to time we've talked about that as well. We don't know what's up with the lighting for 40 Wall. It's the second-tallest building in the Financial District, and it's never floodlit at night.

When I was a kid, 70 Pine street was lit like it is now, only alot bluer and 40 Wall always just had a bright red dot of light up in the center of the lantern. The two buildings played off each other perfectly. As I remember, the actual crown was never illuminated. Of course, that was before we were blessed with the likes of 55 Water, New York Plaza and 60 Wall street. Achieving the same effect is now probably impossible. And that is a real loss.

The price of progress....

fellas...you have to remember, a building manager (in this case Trump), simply dosn't illuminate the building because it can or because it should. The fact of the matter is that there's no major anchor tennant here, who can afford the Con Ed bill. I think that Cadwalader leases the most space...they're a law firm, they're not going to pay to keep the lights on! AIG and Citigroup and Bear and the like can AFFORD illumination...lawyers are not wealthy tenants, relatively speaking...

Default Donald considered gilding the spire.

As far as i know Donald never considered lighting the top although it's a fantastic idea. He comissioned Richard Baeher to do renderings of the tower with a gold spire.

Forum Veteran

I'd still like to see an actual floodlighting scheme. The gilded top looks tacky.

its very hard to escape tack when using gold.

It's a real shame that this beautiful structure isn't either lit/flood lit
    @ night.

Construction completed in 1930, it stands 71 floors above ground @
    928ft / 283.4m.

Style known as Neo-Gothic.

More pics during the day:

The wonderful entrances (Also known as The Trump Building):

_____

...and the great crown/spire:

BTW Can any forumers @ least find a pic of the actual 40 Wall Street office tower (not the crown and/or spire) lit @ night.

I've done numerous searches over the last 1 1/2 hours without succes

Forum Veteran

Note the gilded rosettes. They weren't very noticeable until Trump acquired the building in 1995.

It would be nice if the tower were converted to apartments, like Trump planned when he first bought the building. Maybe he'll do it this time around.

In "The Art of The Comeback," Trump discuss how he swept this gem out from under some German family...they owned the land, but not the building..or some funky arrangement like that.

Forum Veteran

with all the conversions dowtown who would want more, i mean will any building stay commercial or is the future of Lower Manhattan just one big residential neigborhood and all business in Jersey City, im sorry that already happened

Wow, optimism.....

Forum Veteran

what can i say useto work in liberty plaza, my company like almost all in and around the site located after the attck in midtwon or Jersey City and has no reason to move back. They have done nothing to improve the area actually they ripped up more roads afterwards for no reason and made the place worse

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast