View Poll Results: Who Will Win the 2008 AL Penant?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tampa Bay Rays

2 14.29%
  • Boston Red Sox

0 0%
  • New York Yankees

10 71.43%
  • Chicago White Sox

1 7.14%
  • Minnesota Twins

0 0%
  • Detroit Tigers

1 7.14%
  • Los Angeles Angels

0 0%
  • Texas Rangers

0 0%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox v. Yankees

^As long as he wont be your manager, Im sure it will be "fantastic". But if he ever does I cant wait to see all the loving he is going to get from all those rational Yankee fans.

(...please)

Yeah, well you're bitter.

Uh, about what? Dont get me wrong the way they fired him was deplorable and incompetent, but I'm sure you picked up on as much as we did.....he aint much of a motivator. It wasnt just him though that is undestood. However, the team body language was listless at best. I doubt Yankee fans would be appreciating him as much him if he were at the helm of a listless Yankee team.

Your first statement dripped with sarcasm, made you sound like a typical Yankee hater, and you could almost read the snarling smirk.

But even though you clarified, I still disagree. I don't think anything was Willie's fault, neither his lack of motivation nor management style. As far as body language goes, Joe Torre's body language looked like the walking dead but you can ask the players what they thought of him. Also, I do think Yankee fans would be happy with Willie at the helm if it ever came to it, and as an obvious Yankee hater I don't expect you to believe that, but he's Willie Randolph and fans know his talent, his poise, and don't blame him for the Mets' death spiral last year. I do think he would get loving and be given a fair chance from the the fans because they ARE rational.

August 6, 2008, 3:12 pm
    Yanks to Place Chamberlain On Disabled List

By TYLER KEPNER

There is still no word from the Yankees on the exact nature of Joba Chamberlainís shoulder injury or the findings of Dr. James Andrews. But I can tell you for certain that Chamberlain will be placed on the disabled list today. Reliever Chris Britton will be recalled from Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for his sixth tour of duty, with Ian Kennedy to start for Chamberlain this weekend.

The Chamberlain injury could be the knockout blow for the Yankees. Boston has its problems and Tampa Bay is untested. But itís really amazing that the Yankees are contending at all, considering the injuries to Chien-Ming Wang, Phil Hughes, Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui and now Chamberlain.

Put it this way: if you had known in spring training that Wang would not pitch after June 15, Joba would be on the D.L. by the first week of August and Hughes and Kennedy would be winless through game 113, would you think the Yankees would be playoff-bound?

One subtext to all this is that the stream of injuries will pretty much absolve GM Brian Cashman and Manager Joe Girardi of any blame from the Steinbrenners if the Yankees do not make the playoffs.

Looks bad this year.

Should have left him in the pen- inspite of the injuries, yankees have a good enough offence to come back in the late innings. Now that they know that this tendenitis can be an issue I wonder if they will actually put him back and let him be Rivera's apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    I do think he would get loving and be given a fair chance from the the fans because they ARE rational.
    Really, well I listen to WFAN regularly and I would be hearing yankee fans call for Torres head in 2002 because they did not make the WS. And they kept getting louder and louder every passing year he didnt win a WS even though they made the playoffs every year. That did not seem very rational to me.

So that's how you reached that conclusion? Bwa-ha-haa-haaaa! Guess that proves it then, o rational Met fan.

Default Mayor Bloomberg with a Manny whig?!

@ Yankee Stadium, New York

Tonight (7:05 p.m.): RHP Tim Wakefield (7-8, 3.67 ERA) vs. LHP Andy Pettitte (13-9, 4.17).

Tomorrow (7:05 p.m.): RHP Paul Byrd (8-11, 4.61) vs. RHP Sidney Ponson (7-4, 4.67).

Thursday (1:05 p.m.): LHP Jon Lester (12-5, 3.49) vs. RHP Mike Mussina (16-7, 3.45).

Head to head: The teams have split 12 games this season; they will play at Fenway in the last series of the regular season, Sept. 26-28.

Miscellany: Twelve of the Yankees' remaining 32 games are against Boston and Tampa Bay . . . New York is 20-15 since the All Star break, but 11-11 in August . . . Before Derek Jeter's 0 for 5 Sunday against the Orioles, he had hit in nine straight games, batting .463 during that stretch.

Wild Card Race:
    Team.......... W...L.....PCT....GB...E#...L10...
    Boston........ 75...55....577....---...--....6-4
    Minnesota.... 74...57....565...1.5...31...6-4
    NY Yankees...70...60....538...5.0...28...6-4

Former Globe Red Sox writer Gordon Edes gives his Top 10 Red Sox-Yankees games in Yankee Stadium history.

1. October 20, 2004: Sox 10, Yankees 3

Shock the world
    Johnny Damon hits a grand slam and knocks in six runs as the Sox complete a comeback from an 0-3 deficit to win Game 7 of the ALCS. "How many times can you say honestly say you have a chance to shock the world?'' Kevin Millar said. "...We had that chance, and we did it.''
    (Globe Staff Photo / Jim Davis)

2. October 16, 2003: Yankees 6, Sox 5

Aaron bleeping Boone
    Five outs away from advancing to the World Series, the Sox lose a three-run lead in eighth when Grady Little leaves Pedro Martinez in to pitch, and lose the game when Aaron Boone homers in the bottom of the 11th off Tim Wakefield.
    (Globe Staff Photo / Barry Chin)

3. October 19, 2004: Sox 4, Yankees 2

The Bloody Sock
    Curt Schilling, shot full of painkiller in a surgically repaired right ankle bleeding through his sock, holds the Yankees to one run on four hits and no walks in seven innings of Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS, drawing the Sox even at three games apiece in the ALCS.
    (AP Photo)

4. October 1-2, 1949: Yankees, 5-4, 5-3

The Lost Weekend
    The Red Sox, leading by a game with two to play, are beaten by a pneumonia-weakened Joe DiMaggio (pictured) and the Yankees in both games. Johnny Lindell homered to win the first game, 5-4, and the Yanks beat Ellis Kinder, who had won 15 straight starts, in the second, 5-3. It would be 19 years before Sox owner Tom Yawkey would set foot again in Yankee Stadium.
    (AP Photo)

5. October 1, 1961: Yankees 1, Sox 0

Maris hits No. 61
    His hair falling out from the stress, Roger Maris in the 162d and last game of the 1961 season hits a home run off Sox pitcher Tracy Stallard for his 61st home run of the season, breaking Babe Ruth's single-season home run record.
    (AP Photo)

6. April 18, 1923: Yankees 4, Sox 1

Babe christens his House
    In the first game played at Yankee Stadium, with John Philip Sousa conducting the pregame music, Babe Ruth hit the first home run, a three-run home run off Sox pitcher Howard Ehmke that landed 10 rows into the lower right-field stands. The right-field foul pole was only 295 feet away, but that was still farther than the 256 down the line at the Polo Grounds. Sportswriter Fred Lieb called it the "House That Ruth Built,'' but with its inviting power alley in right, many argue it was the house built for Ruth.
    (Upi/Corbis-Bettman Photo)

7. May 20, 1976: Sox 4, Yankees 2

'Steinbrenner's Brown Shirts'
    Lou Piniella of the Yankees barrels into Sox catcher Carlton Fisk as he blocks the plate, and in the ensuing fight, Mickey Rivers sucker punches Sox pitcher Bill Lee and Graig Nettles throws Lee to the ground. Lee tears ligaments in his shoulder and is out two months; after the game he calls Yankee manager Billy Martin "a Nazi" and the Yankees "Steinbrenner's Brown Shirts.''
    (Upi Photo)

8. April 14, 1967: Sox 3, Yankees 0

Billy Rohr, on the threshold
    With Jackie Kennedy and her 6-year-old son in attendance at the Yankees home opener, Billy Rohr (pictured), a 21-year-old rookie from Toronto, held the Yankees hitless for 8 2/3 innings until Elston Howard singled on a full count. Carl Yastrzemski robbed Tom Tresh with a great catch for the first out of the ninth to keep the no-hitter alive.
    (Globe Staff Photo / Stan Grossfeld)

9. Sept. 10, 1999: Sox 3, Yankees 1

Pedro's masterpiece
    On a Friday night in Yankee Stadium, Pedro Martinez allowed just one hit, a line-drive home run by Chili Davis, and struck out 17, the most Yankees ever to strike out in a game, including 12 of the last 15 and the last five in succession. Yankee fans were on their feet roaring for him at the end. "I've never seen anyone pitch like he did tonight," said Martinez's older brother, Ramon, author of a no-hitter and 18-strikeout game. "Nothing would surprise me. I keep telling him he might break the strikeout record, he might pitch a perfect game, a no-hitter. Anything, at any time.''
    (AP Photo)

10. Sept. 28, 1951: Yankees 8, Sox 0

Reynolds no-hits Sox
    The Yankees, needing one win to clinch a tie for the '51 pennant, do so in dramatic style, as Allie Reynolds no-hits the Sox. The last batter to face Reynolds was Ted Williams (pictured). Yankee catcher Yogi Berra dropped a foul pop by Williams to give him another chance, but when Williams popped up again, Berra held on this time, giving Reynolds his second no-hitter of the '51 season. Dave Righetti also threw a no-hitter against the Sox on July 4, 1983.
    (Cleveland Public Library Photo)

Granted, a Sox leaning list but some great games nevertheless.

A reminder of the WNY mood before the "Shock the world" game.

The day after I wrote:
    It's funny, the most surprising thing would be a Sox World Series victory. At this point I can't even fathom it, much less hope for it. I almost feel guilty for even entertaining the notion. :?

Looking back to the time of the "Aaron bleeping Boone" game I noticed how
    TLOZ Link5 was such a sport.

And in case you're wondering I haven't married the Yankee fan... yet.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

ARod + Giambi = stinking garbage.

Time to break out the secret weapon. LOL!