View Poll Results: Who Will Win the 2008 AL Penant?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tampa Bay Rays

2 14.29%
  • Boston Red Sox

0 0%
  • New York Yankees

10 71.43%
  • Chicago White Sox

1 7.14%
  • Minnesota Twins

0 0%
  • Detroit Tigers

1 7.14%
  • Los Angeles Angels

0 0%
  • Texas Rangers

0 0%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox v. Yankees

CC pitched late and great -- into the 8th, season-high 123 pitches -- one batter too many. Yanks need relief.

It's the first time the Red Sox have opened the season with eight straight wins against their New York rivals since they helped christen the brand-new Fenway Park by winning the first 14 matchups against the Highlanders in 1912. Counting the last time they met last season, Boston has won nine straight.

"I wasn't satisfied with what the club owners paid me. Like others, I had to have a bet on the side and we used to bet with the other team and the gamblers who sat in the boxes. It was easy to get a bet. Sometimes collections were hard to make. Players would pass out IOUs and often be in debt for their entire salaries. That wasn't a healthy condition. Once the evil started there was no stopping it, and club owners were not strong enough to cope with the evil."
    ~ Hal "The Prince" Chase, Captain of the 1912 New York Highlanders

On April 11, 1912, opening day, the Highlanders made their first appearance in pinstripes and interlocked NY logo, which has become their trademark uniform. The team would again change the appearance of their uniforms in 1913 and not return to pinstripes until 1915. The interlocked NY logo would again disappear on the home uniform and not return until 1936. In the foreground of this photograph are co-owner Bill Devery (left) and new manager Harry Wolverton at the opening celebration.

Playing the Red Sox in the opener at New York's Hilltop Park Boston scores a run in the 1st against Ray Caldwell‚ and the Yankees respond with two runs in the bottom against Joe Wood. That is all the scoring until the ninth inning‚ when the Sox score four runs‚ including two on a Smoky Joe single. Boston wins‚ 5-3‚ on Smoky Joe Wood's seven hitter.

Joe Wood wouldn't earn the nickname "Smoky" until the World Series of 1912 where he won three games against the New York Giants capping off a banner season. Aged only 22, Wood compiled a 34-5 record to lead the American League, a 1.91 ERA, struck out 258, pitched 10 shutouts and during one stretch won 16 consecutive games (Rube Marquard of the Giants won 19 consecutive the same year, a record still unsurpassed).

The situation is intolerable, completely intolerable. And someone better do something about it.

Oh, the Mets are in. Bad luck for them.

Default Red Sox v. Yankees

I hope that Yankees will sweep the Mets. And I hope for the rest of the season that the Yankees will sweep the Red Sox.

Rivalry ensues tonight.

I say Yanks take 3 of 4. Glad Mitre pitched yesterday- even more glad that the Yankees found a way to win.

So awesome.

Glad my prediction was off!

Four of my roomates work at Fenway Park (for Aramark doing food service), and it's funny (and quite telling) how they haven't said a SINGLE word about any of the games this weekend. Poor guys.

A vegetarian menu at the food stands of Fenway Park for the next homestand.

Strangest season-series ever.

0 - 8.

Then 9 - 1.

Winds up 9 - 9.

Guess they'll need to settle it in the playoffs once and for all.

If they both get that far.

If the Yankees do win the WS the most exciting road there will have gone through Fenway and Dodgers Stadium.

We can't boo Joe Torre, right?

Should I change the thread title?

It's become a catchall for all things Yankees. Red Sox v Yankees is always there, and the poll is really dated.

We can always open a versus thread at the start of the season.