Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: InterActiveCorp HQ - 555 West 18th Street @ West Street - by Frank Gehry

This building is a MASTERPIECE! BRAVO!!

I took these yesterday. I couldn't get a straight-on shot of the glass. The wavy pattern in #2 and 3 is construction netting behind the scaffolding.

As lofter observed, the glass has a milky translucence, probably caused by the ceramic frit within the panes.

Excellent -- first published documentation of glass here, methinks

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If this building comes out looking well, I think Gehry's credibility among NYers will be greatly enhanced, including the Atlantic Yards critics. And don't forget, the Beekman building will probably resemble this somewhat except it will be on a larger scale. A great design plus more office space - this is all very good for the city.

Smile No justice

No offence to Zippy, as I too have been meaning to take these pictures for almost two weeks since these glass panels have been erected, but the images do not do the glass justice. The reason being that there is no easy way to photograph them, and quite impossible even to view- as it is almost fully obstructed by the construction baracades.

However, if these panels are any indication, this building may look significantly better than its renderings would have us beleive. As someone who has admired the imagination of Ghery, but not always the product (Disney Music Hall is very overated, and the Millenium Park concert hall seems half finished IMO). This may be his best, most significant building to date. Combining his admiration for abstraction with the elegance of New Yorks yesteryear. We are fortunate to have this building on the West Side as a prescendent for what the Chelsea art district could ( and should) become, and most importantly Brooklyn's Atlantic Yards.

Here's looking to the future with excited eyes

Default good analogy

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    A true-blue modernist like Saarinen, Rietveld, Corbu, Foster, Gehry and even Mies would be amused by your comment. Why son, they might say, an architect is a sculptor. And Calatrava would agree. He's a sculptor, an architect and an engineer. By training. Unlike Gehry. Unlike Gehry, who hires a structural engineer to design the bones on which he hangs his clothes, Calatrava designs the bones himself (sometimes exaggerating them a bit), and then he leaves off the clothes entirely. Naked structure. Like a plankton.

In this, he's in the mainstream of the greatest architecture, like the Parthenon, the Pantheon, Chartres, Brunelleschi's dome, Gaudi, the Eiffel Tower and most work by Saarinen and Kahn.

Whereas most of the great architects have expressed their structure in some way, Gehry's buildings are pure skin draped over a structure that is indeed an afterthought. This building might have some promise using the glass he has selected. I am not a Gehry fan for the reason above, it's all skin, no architecture, no space, but I'll give him a chance on this one.

I poked my head into some open gates here today -- the volume of space on the ground floor is awesome.

Plus: They're installing the metal channels that hold the window panels around the base of the foundation so more glass could be going up soon.

This is a masterpiece!

All crazy and crooked. Don't confuse it with Gaudi.

Gaudi was structurally rigorous, and this isn't.

Still, he's about the most interesting architect currently around.

Even if he is what Philip Johnson called a whore.

Very nice how the glass goes from opaque to transparent in the individual panes ...

This one is going to be a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    This one is going to be a beauty!
    That's right, but it's all in the clothes.

You can use Gehry to prove that clothes make the man. Or that beauty is skin deep.

View from Hoboken

Default romanticsm

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    That's right, but it's all in the clothes.

You can use Gehry to prove that clothes make the man. Or that beauty is skin deep.
    I am reminded of the schools of 19th century european painting; some were "romanticsm" and others were "classicism".

I would say that Gehrys' style would be more in the style of "romaticsim" - even if it is only "clothes" it will be an attractive building.

But! - If I were a stakeholder in the matter - I would choose the "classicism" of an Architect like Calatrava.

P.S. Thanks to person who posted the photo from Hoboken.....I have not seen that site in awile.
    Last edited by infoshare; March 19th, 2006 at 10:32 AM.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast