Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: InterActiveCorp HQ - 555 West 18th Street @ West Street - by Frank Gehry

Default Gehry = triumph of the willfulness; romanticsm.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom
    Used up my last metro card risdes today to get some photos of this baby.
    Well worth it LeCom,,,,,,,,thanks - great photos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism
    Last edited by infoshare; March 24th, 2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo

Eh. I don't know about that glass. Kind of weird. And it seems like the building might lose some verticality with the stripes.

It's in a nowhere area -- very few residents anywhere around there, so very few people to get upset, plus there are very few buildings of note in the area. Plus another striking thing about this building is how small it is. It's almost a boutique compared to other office buildings. So what's to hate?

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    In light of the public protest regarding the Atlantic Yards arena and the complete lack of information regarding the Beekman Street tower, what surprises me about this Gehry project is the fact that it has gone up so quietly by comparison. And damned if that glass does not look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Eh. I don't know about that glass. Kind of weird. And it seems like the building might lose some verticality with the stripes.

Same thing with the NYTimes Tower. While this building probably never would have screamed verticality anyway, those horizontal bands will ensure that never happens - but that's fine. The problem is they're gonna distract the eye away from the massing, which speaks clearly for itself without any other gimmicks needed.

Some great pics here (renderings): http://www.danda.be/outdata/?dreview=125&category

Again, as with the Times Tower, once the lighting is on I think that what now appear to be "voids" will change completely. And (as at the TT) the verticality will be prime with the horizontal-ity secondary.

Any info on what company is manufacturing the glass for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    The problem is they're gonna distract the eye away from the massing, which speaks clearly for itself without any other gimmicks needed.
    Exactly. I think a nice uniform, light-color clear glass might look better and show off the shape of the building more. The stripes might make the building look a little chaotic/busy/garrish. Like you said, one too many gimmicks with the stripes. I think the glass is interesting, though. Might look cool on a building with a simpler shape.

This thing will stop traffic with necks craning to get a better glimpse.

All of this creativity and effort for such a relatively small building is going to make it look very expensive.

I hope they...eh...do something about the cracks between floors.

Forum Veteran

The curtain wall is more blue in reality than in the renderings which were grey. I like it! This is going to be worth a walk across the island to see.

Did you see a rendering with the frosted glass? I was under the impression it would all be clear.

^Yeah, me too. That weird glass just kind of appeared out of nowhere.

Forum Veteran

This definitely looks better than the rendering on the first page of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Did you see a rendering with the frosted glass? I was under the impression it would all be clear.
    I never saw a rendering that accurately depicted the final look, but all of the descriptions mentioned a frit within the glass, and most of the renderings showed the glass as somewhat translucent.

It was posted that the glass was going to look like this, but I think that would have been horrible.