Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: InterActiveCorp HQ - 555 West 18th Street @ West Street - by Frank Gehry

Forum Veteran

So, are the bottom 5 sections the 9 story office area and the top 3 are the ornamental top?

Default gehry

I hope that this building happens - Gehry has a lot of unbuilts in his portfolio. He also has a big habit of going WAY over budget (look at the American Centre in Paris - a building that put the client out of business) so I hope that Dilller is prepared to spend twice whatever is the announced budget.

The Gehry building I have just begun working in has an official cost of $54 million, original est $26 million, those of us involved believe actual expenditure around $62.

Gehry also in meetings makes clear that he believes in what must be called "form OVER function" - the smaller theatre at Bard has a near useless too-short fly tower because of his vision for the outside of the building. On the other hand, he has some great people working for him, who want to make buildings that really serve for the client - which sometimes make for odd conflicts in the design meetings.

god thats gross, and they actually think its cool. wow

Strange glass buildings seem to be the way of the future, which is good and bad. The 'ship of glass' would fit the area well, and the design will intergrate with the nearby buildings while standing out as a local landmark. (God, I sound like I'm marketing the office space, don't I?) Sadly the same cannot be said for other new glass structures (mainly highrises) like *cough* Swiss Re in London *cough*

I agree with you about that Swiss Re tower, Matt3303 ...What that monstrosity reminds me of, I *ahem* don't care to post on a public forum! :roll:

and may I ask what that is supposed to mean?

OK,OK - it reminds me of a giant dildo :roll: thus carrying phallic symbolism to a bizzare new level...

Right okay, I can understand that, but dildo comments aside it is actually quite a feat of engineering dontya think

Good point, emmeka. I imagine that figuring out the stress factors involved in curved steel must be especially complicated, not to mention making all the pieces so that they fit together - now that must have really made things interesting at the ol' steel mill! :lol:

After Richard Meier's two new residential towers on Perry Street, the Diller building will be the third great piece of glass architecture to arise on the West Side Highway. The project arouses visions of a strip of first-rate contemporary design stretching alongside the new promenades of Hudson River Park. Perhaps nothing can fully compensate for the loss of the great trans-Atlantic liners that sailed off in the early 1970's. But it helps immensely to see the architectural imagination at work in a design that captures the lure of faraway places.

Forum Veteran

http://thevillager.com/villager_56/g...westorise.html

Gehry glass tower to rise in Chelsea

By Albert Amateau

Groundbreaking will begin next week on a nine-story tower with a sculpted glass facade, designed by the architect Frank Gehry on West St. in Chelsea for the new headquarters of IAC/InterActiveCorp.

The project between 18th and 19th Sts., across from the Chelsea Piers sports and entertainment complex, is scheduled for completion by the end of 2006.

IAC/InterActiveCorp is the parent company of several Internet-based commercial enterprises including Expedia, Inc., Hotels.com, Hotwire.com, Ticketmaster, Citysearch and LendingTree.

The company, headed by Barry Diller, has 116 locations in 31 states and 20 countries and has more than 25,000 employees. The Georgetown Company, a real estate developer and management firm based in Manhattan, is a development partner in the project.

The new IAC headquarters on the 29,380-sq.-ft. site on the east side of 11th Ave. will have underground ancillary parking for 70 cars and rise 155 ft. from the sidewalk level. The glass facade of the concrete structure will be insulated and have special coatings and patterned ceramic particles imbedded in it to improve energy efficiency.

The ground-floor public space will include a restaurant “that will reflect and utilize all of the IAC brands and be as interactive as the company and Frank Gehry can conjure,” according to a company statement.

“We are pleased that New York City both affords us the opportunity to build a unique and landscape-defining edifice, and benefits from the investment IAC is making in developing a corporate presence in Chelsea,” Diller said in a statement about the project.

Gehry, a Los Angeles-based architect, has won more than 100 awards from the American Institute of Architects. Among his buildings is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.

Gehry’s sculpted glass facade tower on 11th Ave. for IAC continues the trend that includes Richard Meier’s two recently completed glass residential towers at Perry at West Sts. and another to rise next to them on Charles St. On Greenwich St. between Spring and Canal Sts., glass facades distinguish an 11-story residential tower designed by Winka Dubbeldam and a 14-story residential tower designed by Gary Handel & Associates. In the works is an 11-story Philip Johnson-designed residential tower with a glass facade at 328 Spring St. at the corner of Washington St. planned by developer Nino Vendome.

I recently passed the site and the building you see on the picture above is demolished.

Glad to hear that! I cant wait to see this beauty flower going up around so many dead flowers in the area. :P

The site of future New York Headquarters of InterActiveCorp. 26 June 2004.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast