Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Taxi

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Just the merits of recycling used cooking oil was interesting from an environmental point of view.
    Uppps, I didn't get the fuel part, sorry...[QUOTE]

^ No need for that .

Until some carmaker develops an electric or hybrid with a reasonably-sized back seat, the whole program should be scrapped. Those current hybrid cabs are a joke. I am a 6 foot adult male, and I cannot fit in one. What jerks like the Mayor, who has not been in a taxi in 20 years (and is also a midget -- no offense intended to little people), don't realize is that the partition takes a lot of backseat space, so what starts as a small but manageable Prius back seat in a normal passenger vehicle becomes a medieval torture chamber in an NYC taxi.

Unhappy

I did say in the past that there was no reason to rush into Hybrid Taxi idea until one is made big enough.. The mayor had to push the idea to promote his GREEN agenda. It cost the taxpayers a lot of leg room and the city lost the lawsuit and that cost the taxpayers a lot of money..
    I ask nothing more of the people involved in the decision making process for the "taxi of tomorrow" project than to put their egos aside and choose a vehicle(s) which best meet our needs. Because replacing the Crown Vic is not and should not be a job for egocentrics..

The problem was not the replacement, but what they chose to replace them with.

I have seen the Prius all over and THAT was a mistake, but the (I think) Pilot? (What is the hybrid SUV?). That has a bit more room and still gets better milage in the stop-and-go in the city than the Crown......

The problem is, I do not think any auto maker would have really pushed for a bigger hybrid w/o a defined need (such as the cab fleet) and the cab fleet needed the switch. So one does not come without the other, and one needed to be first, despite the lack of resource.

milleniumcab & BPC: I'm with you on the ridiculous size of newer NYC cabs. It's just boneheaded to choose a vehicle that crams the passengers into a slot called the back seat.

You're supposed to sit SIDEWAYS!!!

Duh!

" TAXI OF TOMORROW " project is in it's last stages. Few companies including from overseas have asked their vehicles to be considered. Ford is hoping their TRANSIT CONNECT will win TLC's heart. It is a light truck like vehicle with a lot of room and, at 24 mpg, gets double the mileage Crown Vic gets.. I would like the vehicle to be chosen to be tested as a pilot program before making a final decision. We don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

I would also like it test driven IN the streets of Manhattan.

Some key things to remember are:

Turning Radius. Some areas are hard to get into and out of.

Size. Both interior and exterior. Having a decent sized vehicle is important, but we do not need a bunch of Escalades on the road.

Suspension. It needs to be rather soft, but resilient. There are too many bumps and potholes in NYC to get a sport tuned suspension for daily use. By the same token, too soft can ground you out over digs, plates or other bumps. Key is comfort and functionality, two often conflicting goals.

Range. 24 MPG city is great for a larger car, provided you have more thana 10 gallon tank. Being able to go a full shift on one tank would be a godsend.

Aesthetics. the thing needs to look decent. You get some of the funky Futurama looking designs some proposed out there and you will never get any respect.

I agree with the test runs though. How long do you think it would need to go? How many cars?

I say 50 cars for 6 months will give a good idea about many of the issues....

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I agree with the test runs though. How long do you think it would need to go? How many cars?
    Well, the fleets have to replace their vehicles every 3 years. That would give more than enough time to get extensive data on everything imaginable about the pilot program vehicles.. Yes, I mean running the pilot program on most of the fleet for 3 years...

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    " TAXI OF TOMORROW " project is in it's last stages. Few companies including from overseas have asked their vehicles to be considered. Ford is hoping their TRANSIT CONNECT will win TLC's heart. It is a light truck like vehicle with a lot of room and, at 24 mpg, gets double the mileage Crown Vic gets.. I would like the vehicle to be chosen to be tested as a pilot program before making a final decision. We don't want to get stuck with a lemon.
    Looks OK: iconic, cab-like, different. Needs maybe 8" more wheelbase to accommodate a pair of jump seats. At that point, it could be a pretty decent riff on a London cab.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Needs maybe 8" more wheelbase to accommodate a pair of jump seats.
    Wheel Chair Accessibility probably will negate the space needed for jump seats..

Can't you just hook 'em to the back?

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    Wheel Chair Accessibility probably will negate the space needed for jump seats..
    How do they do it in London?