Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Taxi

MC, yes, they are.

The summons is automatic, the picture shows otherwise. It is annoying as all get out, but what can you do?

As for the number of summonses.... Two things on that. First is that if there weren't so many violators, there would not be that many summonses. It has been many years that the driving of the NYC cab fleet has determined how everyone else in the city drives. I absolutely HATE driving in the city during any time but the dead hours.

These guys squeeze up in shoulders, parking lanes or any other area to crowd you out to the next light. they use their blinkers like weapons and not notification symbols. They close any gap and do not know what "merge" means. This may not be YOU MC, but there are enough out there that the term "NYC Cab Driver" is an anathema to many that drive through the city.

Second is this. Because of all the budget shortfalls, the cops are out en force recently. Just this weekend I saw 4 out with the radar guns on relatively local highways. Driving to PA last weekend I saw about 6 along 80. They are looking for cash in any way they can.

Good luck protesting this now.

Could make everyone yearn for that Congestion Pricing that so many said would cost too much.

This is the alternative way for the City to control drivers & raise funds.

Everybody says everything will cost too much until you take the food away from them.

Unfortunately, the only two that are readily available for that now are Teachers and Cops. Bloomie is not missing a step. He says we do not have the money, all other contracts can't be broken, this is all he has. Someone has to offer up some other sacrificial cows or the Lame Duck mayor is going to pull the plug on something that many will only feel a few years down the line.

As for how that fee would effect the Taxis... there is one way to look at it. That fee could be seen to be included in the Medalion/Licensing fee that all cabs need to pay. Any others would need to pay on an event, daily, weekly or monthly basis, with the discounts becoming greater the longer the subscription is paid for.

Times of day would also be accounted for.

The one trick that could be used is a monitoring of all vehicles entering and leaving the congestion zones. If there was a way to find the box trucks that come in in the wee-hours, double park all over CT and the other districts, and leave after, additional fees could be levied for them simply taking up so much space.

Now, over to MC and the liveries. This is a tough one. I really do not see it as a major issue either way. As described briefly in one thnig he quoted, this is a bone for the dogs.

I see no real problem on this either way. The toughest part is splitting the hairs between the different levels of licensure and their ability to legally carry fares. How much do we really want to track these guys just for the opportunity to make hailing one in Brooklyn legal?

Forum Veteran

This brings up a good point, do we have a map of where all the traffic cams are?

I usually spot them while seeing cars blow the light and seeing the unmistakable camera flash getting set off. I don't run red lights but sometimes when you're following the pace of traffic the light turns on you when you're going through a yellow. I'd be a lot more cautious if I knew where the cams were

I've never seen a map but I sure am noticing a lot more cams at intersections all over town.

Maybe something like this out in Utah will be coming to NYC ...

External security cameras coming to 'real time crime center'

OGDEN -- Attempting a police omniscience seen in only about 20 U.S. cities, the Ogden Police Department is gearing up for a "real time crime center" to be operational soon after its Crime Blimp launches.

The center hopes to eventually be linked with the thousands of private and government security cameras around town, including the city's own inventory of some 200 cameras ...

The NYC DOT has a link to a Live Cam page ...

Real Time Traffic Cameras

The ones shown don't seem to be the full bunch, just the live cams to monitor traffic ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYCDOT_LiveCams.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	12389

There is a Cameras List that allows you to see what the various cams see, but based on the image available it's not certain how helpful the cams are to casual users ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYCDOT_LiveCam_BwayCanal.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	12390

February 28, 2011, 1:07 pm

Supreme Court Halts Mayor’s Push for Hybrid Taxis

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM The Bloomberg administration has banned cars from Broadway, prohibited smoking in public parks, and cracked down on fats and salts in restaurants.

But City Hall’s march toward better living, whether its citizens want it or not, may have finally met a yellow-hued Waterloo.

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to consider an appeal by the city on its years-long attempt to mandate fuel emissions standards in New York City’s taxicabs,
    exhausting the legal options for a policy that had twice been struck down by lower courts.

The city’s plan, which would have created financial incentives for taxi owners to buy hybrid cars, had been rejected by prior judges as a de facto regulation of emissions standards — a power that, under existing laws, belongs to the federal government. A group of taxi owners brought the original suit against the plan in 2008.

“I am bitterly disappointed,” said David S. Yassky, chairman of the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission. “New York City is trying to reduce literally millions of tons of carbon dioxide emissions, and the Supreme Court has told us we can’t do it.”

“I cannot imagine,” Mr. Yassky added, “when Congress wrote the Clean Air Act that they intended to handcuff states and cities trying to clean their own air.”

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, speaking at a news conference on Monday, noted that several cities had signed on in support of New York’s appeal to the Supreme Court.

“The cities are those that are addressing real-world problems like climate change and energy policy,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “The federal government seems unable to address those issues.”

“So now we’ve got to lobby the federal legislature,” Mr. Bloomberg added.

A bill proposed in 2009 by Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand, the Green Taxis Act, would tweak the 1970s-era law’s language to allow local governments to set emissions standards. A spokeswoman for the senator said Monday that Ms. Gillibrand planned to reintroduce the legislation “soon.”

In a statement, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Taxicab Board of Trade, the taxi owners’ group that filed the original legal challenge against the city’s proposal, called the victory “bittersweet.”

The spokesman, Michael Woloz, wrote that while the owners support a fuel-efficient fleet, the city’s policy as planned would have placed an “impossible” burden on taxi owners who require commercial-grade vehicles that can stand up to years of abuse. Mr. Woloz said that a city mandate would compromise passengers’ safety and the ability of the taxi industry to do business.

The most commonly used yellow cab, the venerable Ford Crown Victoria, is a notorious gas-guzzler. The Crown Vic is being phased out, and taxi officials are holding a contest to find a new model that would eventually replace all of the cabs currently on the road.

The Supreme Court’s decision on Monday effectively rules that the city cannot mandate that a new car meet certain emissions standards.

About 4,300 yellow cabs, a third of the fleet, are currently hybrids.

The Bloomberg administration first tried to encourage the use of hybrid cars by setting a minimum miles-per-gallon rating for taxis; that rule was also struck down in federal court.

A second attempt tried to skirt around the ban on local regulation by setting up financial incentives: in exchange for using hybrid vehicles, taxi owners would be allowed to charge higher leases on their cabs.

But Judge Paul A. Crotty of Federal District Court in Manhattan rejected that proposal too, writing in a 2009 opinion that the incentives amounted to “a de facto mandate” and thus did not escape the same legal scrutiny. The Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit later upheld that ruling. City lawyers had hoped the Supreme Court would hear its appeal.

Noah Rosenberg contributed reporting.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../?ref=nyregion

What a load of crap.

I wonder if the laws were mis-written. I can't see where there can be any federal law that would require anything of this nature to be forbidden so long as it satisfies all federal minimums.

How does Cali have such stringent emmission standards compared to the rest of the US? Is that a state or federal law?

NY Post: Chad Rachman
    David Yassky and Janette Sadik-Khan

Updated: Mon., Feb. 28, 2011, 7:45 AM
    NY POST

Janette's big transitway a road to ruin

By ANDREA PEYSER
    Last Updated: 7:45 AM, February 28, 2011
    Posted: 2:57 AM, February 28, 2011

From the East River to the Hudson, New Yorkers are kicking their bicycles, stomping their cats and asking a burning question:
    Is Janette Sadik-Khan, the psycho bike lady who helms the city's Department of Transportation, nuts?
    Or maybe Khan, the hater of the internal-combustion engine, is just an incompetent, overpromoted, overzealous bureaucrat who wields power like a chain saw and fits her widely whispered nickname to a T -- Janette "Sadist"-Khan.
    Either way, we're screwed.
    At issue is a project bigger than the detested, dangerous bike lanes and despised pedestrian plazas that have sprouted up like a cancer, to applause from Mayor Bloomberg. The new plan is Sadik-Khan's crowning achievement. Her Taj Mahal. Her Coney Island fun house.
    It's called the 34th Street Transitway. And as plans reveal, it's a doozy -- meant to surrender that main Midtown thoroughfare to buses while preventing passenger cars from traveling it from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Midtown Tunnel.
    The project is a budding Titanic -- a monstrous muddle of bus routes, bike lanes and pedestrian malls.
    According to the plans, eastbound vehicular traffic would start at Fifth Avenue (Lord know how cars would even get there first) and head to the East River. Westbound traffic would start at Sixth Avenue. In the middle of the two avenues would be a pedestrian plaza. So put on your hiking boots and dodge the buses. This mess would make M.C. Escher, famed for drawing nonsensical roads that go absolutely nowhere, proud.
    The transitway is set to be completed by 2012. Ironically, that's the year the Mayans predicted that the world would come to a cataclysmic end.
    "She's nuts!" a government source told me. "The woman's more dangerous than Robert Moses. At least he had a plan. Mike [Bloomberg] doesn't give a s- - -. He doesn't get it."
    And those were some of the tamer thoughts. Residents of 34th Street are apoplectic about the total blackout on cars.
    Old folks and moms shopping at Costco will no longer be able to get car services to drop them at their doors.
    And Access-a-Ride vans for the disabled can cross into bus lanes -- but "vehicles will not be permitted to wait for passengers in the bus lanes," according to Department of Transportation documents.
    "So it's raining, it's snowing, it's January, and Mrs. Smith, who's 95 years old -- you want her waiting outside?" asked an incredulous Tim Hughes, a 34th Street resident who's not allergic to taking buses himself.
    But Hughes crunched DOT numbers on bus speeds -- and estimated that bus travel times would improve by a measly one or two minutes in the three-quarter-of-a-mile stretch with which Sadik-Khan is obsessed.
    "So I can't access my front door because it's blocked 24/7/365 by bus lanes. I've lost my curbside access to my door. I can't get my bottled water, 30 pounds of Goya beans and my 3-year-old and 1-year-old inside because the city has determined that a one-minute improvement is more important for a guy from Ronkonkoma!" Hughes said.
    As The Post's Steve Cuozzo reported last week, the DOT, which has received more than $18 million so far from the feds to study the thing, has zipped its lip.
    A transportation source, weary from rotten press hammering his bike-crazy agency, told me he doesn't want to give a "sneak peek to The Post" but said the transitway will be built by next year.
    "It's definitely moving forward," said an agency spokesman, Seth Solomonow, who added that the design was still being tweaked.
    It should be scrapped.
    "Oh, my God! This means all of our side streets will become tunnel-to-tunnel streets," said Marisa Bulzone, a 35th Street resident. "How many meetings do I have to go to and tell officials that 33rd Street does not go through? You'd think they'd know this. They don't!"
    Lisa Pyle of Manhattan griped, "This is a case of Mayor Bloomberg hiring those he enjoys as dinner guests, like [Schools Chancellor] Cathie Black.
    "I bet [Sadik-Khan] doesn't even own a car -- maybe doesn't even have a license."
    Stop her before it's too late.

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc

I got three words to say........... Administrative Procedure Act......... this Mayor needs to read it.....

the detested, dangerous bike lanes and despised pedestrian plazas that have sprouted up like a cancer
    Um.... I was not aware either were "despised" or "dangerous" to all but a few self-centered motorists who believe that NYC belongs to them alone.

I will keep reading, but a rant is a rant.

Mike's traffic turnabout

Last Updated: 12:16 AM, March 28, 2011
    Posted: March 28, 2011

Mayor Bloomberg saw the light last week, announcing his opposition to a proposed city law that would totally ban cars from the main loops in Central and Prospect parks.
    "If you did not allow cars in the park during rush hour . . . the rest of the city streets would be overloaded, and it would create an awful lot of traffic," he said.
    Can't argue with that.
    City Councilwoman Gale Brewer's proposal would turn the areas abutting Central Park into even more of a disaster zone come the morning and evening rush -- especially on the Upper West Side, with Columbus Avenue already bollixed up by bike lanes.

And Brooklyn drivers are still reeling from the installation of bike lanes that tore up half of Prospect Park West.
    Actually, New York City has dedicated so much macadam to its bicycle-obsessed transportation commissioner, Janette Sadik-Khan, that turning over the park roads seemed like a natural next step.
    But, for once, Bloomberg is making sense on the subject. Whatever could be going on?
    Oh, wait.
    Wouldn't 79th Street around Fifth, Madison and Park avenues be among the "the city streets [that] would be overloaded" by Central Park traffic spillover?
    You know, where the mayor lives?
    One doesn't normally take him for a Not-Near-My-Maisonette populist -- but if the impulse compels him to make a common-sense judgment, that's OK.
    And hey -- maybe all new Sadik-Khan traffic schemes should be road-tested in Bloomberg's 'hood first.
    Just saying.

Um, whatever.

I think the only ground they have to protest on this one is not traffic spillover, but rather what plans were made besides just shutting down the roadways in the park? Saying there will be more traffic in the city is difficult to sympathize with (even though I am one of those people that now drives through on occasion for family/work). Hearing about motorists whine over bike lanes is lame.

What they need to do is find a way to keep the roads clear. Elimination of all the people that need to park or deliver in the city during rush hours is probably the first step. But it is not a full plan. Closing the park roads will probably not do much more than piss of a small percentage of the overall drivers (or voters) that actually use it regularly, but doing so without a full plan for streamlining traffic flow in the city, not just accommodating one special interest or another, is in order.