Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Taxi

Default Thankyou

EDWARD! s'been a while since I've been here.......

Quote Originally Posted by misterbarlow

Also can any NY locals answer me this.. On the cabs info thing in the back it says drivers MUST (and must was underlined) use EZPASS for bridges/tunnels and pass discount onto passenegers, but on both inbound and outbound trips to/from JFK both drivers asked me for the $4.50 toll for the Q-M tunnel... are they supposed to do that?? Do ALL cabs have an EZPASS??
    Yes, the taxi drivers must use E-Z Pass when crossing any toll bridge or tunnel and they are not allowed to charge more than the discounted amount.

One more thing, we are not all mental drivers. You just got unlucky with your picks, I guess...... Better luck next time, unless you enjoy the mental driving, hehehe..

Today I saw a NYC Yellow Cab with a siren and flashing interior red light (on the dash) zooming down 33rd St. by the ESB. The driver looked like he could be a NYC cop. It was about 1 PM and NYPD was pulling one of their "Operation Atlas" exercises on 5th Ave / 34th (needless to say the tourists were both freaked out and really excited).

Question: Is it standard practice for NYPD to use yellow cabs for undercover vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1

Question: Is it standard practice for NYPD to use yellow cabs for undercover vehicles?
    Yes , NYPD use taxis for undercover work. They are assigned certain medallion numbers and those med #s are taking out of the nyc taxi fleet.

Stunning photos, one of the great posts on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    Yes , NYPD use taxis for undercover work. They are assigned certain medallion numbers ...
    Within 5 minutes of each other I saw 2 undercover NYC yellow cabs today -- one pulled somebody over on 8th Ave/43rd (cab # 2W85) and the other was zooming up 8th Ave with siren / lights ablaze, trailed by a patrol car (cab # 2W65).

Within 5 minutes of each other I saw 2 undercover NYC yellow cabs today -- one pulled somebody over on 8th Ave/43rd (cab # 2W85) and the other was zooming up 8th Ave with siren / lights ablaze, trailed by a patrol car (cab # 2W65).
    2W65 and 2W85 are two of the medallion numbers assigned to NYPD... They won't be stopping to pick you up..

Any idea how many of those U/C cabs there are lurking in our midst?

Any idea how many of those U/C cabs there are lurking in our midst?
    I don't exactly but my guess is, around a dozen.. But I can always tell from the med #s..
    Maybe it is not a very good idea to mention the numbers.. Criminals might be reading the forum..

If you can read those numbers as the guy is pulling up behind you, GL, but by that time, they have usually spotted you doing something wrong.

Not only that, I think the guy in the drivers seat wearing a policemans uniform is a dead giveaway...

They wear the u/c nypd "uniform": invariably a yankees shirt over a T and jeans

Lofter1 is right..Any cop in an undercover taxi is not dressed in uniform.. One will be posing as the driver and the other one will be in the back seat as a passenger...

They wear the u/c nypd "uniform": invariably a yankees shirt over a T and jeans
    Then I just guess you will have to tell that to the guy I saw, in a cops uniform, writing a ticket while sitting in the drivers seat for another yellow cab he pulled over in front of St Lukes on Hudson Street....

^Was this on the west side of Hudson? It must have been, those bike lanes are a trap for cab drivers. I try my best not to pick up on bike lanes but sometimes you have to.

I guess it is possible for the cop to be in a uniform.. I have never seen one though..

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast