Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Taxi

Nothing is written in stone yet..

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Bummer!

I was rooting for the Turkish entry. Showed promise of becoming an icon.

The choice shows timidity.
    Although it looked superior to the other 2 entries, the Turkish entry was classified as the "biggest risk". I agree for the simple fact that Karsan wasn't built and tested yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Good tag for next mayoral campaign:

The FARES are TOO DAMN HIGH!!
    Maybe after this fare hike, you will be able to get a cab anytime and anywhere you wish...:P

They're above my pay scale already.

Rather poor design - they look like someone took a delivery van and attempted to warp it into a taxi.

Considering the price of using a taxi you would at least expect a sleek design to arrive at your destination in some form of style. Furthermore, this will do nothing for the urban fabric of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-taylor View Post
    Rather poor design - they look like someone took a delivery van and attempted to warp it into a taxi.
    Ford's rejected Transit Connect is much more like your description..At least this one looks like a decent ride... but I am still against the idea of only one model for all taxis... as long as egomaniacs making the rules of regulations, the regulated will have to suffer... only this time, suffering is extended to the people served....

........and I must say, I am very surprised about the Mayor's choice. I did not think Nissan had any chance...

Frankly, all three options were hideous. There was no good choice. The City needs to get out of taxi-design business, and allow any car with a banana yellow paint job, a meter, a medallion and a roof light pick up passengers. Then let the market decide which models are the best. Maybe some people love the surburban minivans, who knows? But for some bureaucrat to impose that choice on all 13,000 cabs is asking for trouble. One recall and the whole fleet goes down.

I do agree with Lofter that switching from the super-soft suspension of the Crown Vic (which is being discontinued, so nothing to do about that) to any sort of mini-van will make NYers feel all those potholes in bone-jarring fashion. Maybe this will indeed create the political will for the NYC DOT to actually fill an occasional hole. Then again, maybe not. We are in for a bumpy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    But for some bureaucrat to impose that choice on all 13,000 cabs is asking for trouble. One recall and the whole fleet goes down.
    I am hoping for his selection to turn out a lemon so that Bloomberg is remembered as the Mayor who ruined the Taxi Fleet..

NYC Comptroller John Liu is looking into the selection process, because some of City Council politicians do not like Mayor's decision..They feel Turkish Karsan was a better choice because it was promised to be built in Brooklyn and it was the only wheel chair accessible vehicle..

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    I am hoping for his selection to turn out a lemon so that Bloomberg is remembered as the Mayor who ruined the Taxi Fleet..
    For better or worse, he will be remembered for many more things than simply the man that helped decide what Taxi will be standard.

Messing with a NYC icon is a good way to be remembered...

No, not really.

It all depends on the shallowness of the people who remember him for such.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    For better or worse, he will be remembered for many more things than simply the man that helped decide what Taxi will be standard.
    IMO Some of Bloomberg's legacy will be:

SUCCESS: 311 System
    SUCCESS: Through Streets
    COIN TOSS: Street pavilions on broadway
    COIN TOSS: Elimination Walk/Don't Walk Signs, replaced with LED hand/pedestrian icons
    HUGE FAILURE: Education improvements despite massive effort
    FAILURE: Soccer-momming of Taxi Fleet
    HUGE SUCCESS: Expansion & redevelopment of NYC parks & bikeways
    Last edited by GordonGecko; May 11th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.