Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zinc Building - 475 Greenwich Street - Tribeca - Condo - by GreenbergFarrow

The Dude Abides

It looks like the design on this one has changed.

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

New building at 475 Greenwich Street to be called "Zinc" 02-AUG-06

Marketing has started for the "Zinc" Building at 475 Greenwich Street in TriBeCa.

The building is being developed by the Douglaston Development Company of which Jeffrey E. Levine is a principal.

The building will contain 21 condominium apartments and is located on a triangular block bounded by Canal and Watts Streets. The site is directly over the Holland Tunnel and has been occupied by low-rise buildings that once housed a ceramic tile company and a car audio store.

The developer obtained a zoning variance last year for the 7-story project and has agreed with Community Board 1 not to lease any of its retail space to nightclubs, or bars.

A sales office is expected to open at 145 Hudson Street in September.

A new rendering of the building differs from an earlier rendering by Greenberg Farrow Architects that showed a building with many slightly angled windows. The new design does not have angled windows and has a setback top floor with an overhang.

A call by CityRealty.com today to Douglaston Development to ascertain details about the building's design changes and construction schedule was not returned.

The building, which is located near several other new residential construction projects in north TriBeCa and southwestern SoHo, will have a 24-hour attended lobby, refrigerated storage, individual storage units, a superintendent, floor-to-ceiling windows with operable center sash, 10- to 11-foot-high ceilings, wenge wood flooring, Asko washers and dryers, Sub-Zero refrigerators, Miele gas cooktops and dishwashers, Franke sinks, white oak Italian kitchen cabinetry with frosted glass upper cabinets and under cabinet lighting, Kohler 6-foot whirlpool bath, frameless glass shower with Grohe rainshower head, and Thassos white marble slab bathroom countertops and dual sink vanities.

Douglaston Development is nearing completion of a condominium apartment tower at 325 Fifth Avenue.

I like the new design much better. I wonder how it looks on the pointy side of the triangle though.

The Dude Abides

Yeah, same here. Can't even tell from that perspective that it's not a box all the way around. I checked the developer's website, and it still has the old rendering up. And I couldn't find the new rendering on the architect's website, so I guess we'll have to make do with this one for now.

Just strolled past the site today. Looks like work has begun. Bought time. This renderings is a HUGE improvement over the prior.

Arrow think zinc

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    it has been a little confusing but I think we've figured out that two different buildings (each on triangular lots) are going up at opposite intersections of Greenwich and Canal.

Airial views of various sites located on Canal Street. I am not certain these are the correct locations.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	2149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	2150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	2151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	2152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	2153  

Last edited by infoshare; August 3rd, 2006 at 12:10 AM.

In the big photo it's the triangular site just to the right of where it says "Watts St"

It might be logical that the facade along canal (the one we havne't seen) would NOT have all the glass like is shown on the Watts St. / Greenwich St. facades -- just way too much traffic on Canal for that kind of visibility into a home.

Arrow think zinc

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    In the big photo it's the triangular site just to the right of where it says "Watts St"
    Thanks,

This - so far - looks to be a well designed building. Apparantly there are more architectural design changes to come: it will be interesting to see what develops.

Excerpt from: Cityrealty.com
    "A call by CityRealty.com today to Douglaston Development to ascertain details about the building's design changes and construction schedule was not returned."
    Last edited by infoshare; August 3rd, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare
    "A call by CityRealty.com today [...] was not returned."
    It hardly ever is. Can't blame 'em for not trying, though.

Got an email from a friend who lives across the street from this new one ...
    ... they started digging july 5th, it's tolerable
    and i just hope it goes up quickly!

Default Floorplans

The floorplans on the pointy side of the triangle will be interesting to see as well. I agree the design on the canal st side may have to be different - tough to keep all of that glass clean with all of the car exhaust from the traffic.

Arrow self cleaning facade?

Quote Originally Posted by bigkdc
    ........... tough to keep all of that glass clean with all of the car exhaust from the traffic.
    I wonder if the Architect has tried this product.?

Harlem
    308 West 116th Street
    The eight-story, 15-unit condominium will have an all-white façade made from a self-cleaning concrete that has an additive of titanium dioxide, the Post reported. When UV rays hit the building, the concrete cleans itself and the air around it. Grzywinski Pons designed the building, where prices are expected to average about $1,000 a square foot.
    Last edited by infoshare; August 4th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

The site of Zinc Building on 1 September 2006.

Nice pic Ed! So this building can really clean it's self?

Just what this neighborhood needs-- another "modern" condo building with each unit going for a million-plus. I wonder if the potential purchasers will be told that the horn-honking Holland Tunnel traffic backs up along Canal Street all day and all night now and not just at the traditional "rush hours", that when he traffic is not backed up, large tractor trailer and dump trucks treat this street like a superhighway and travel in speeds up to 60MPH, that garbage dumpsters are regularly removed with ear-splitting shreiks and bangs at 4 AM, that there are absolutely no services and stores in the area, and that when it rains, everyone's basement around here floods with water from the still-existing canal buried under the center of Canal Street.

I also must say, living right across the street, that the construction begins each day at 7 AM with wall-shaking pile driving, contrary to the developers promises to CB-1. Since there are several other similar projects going up in this area, my life has now become a living hell.

I hope to eventually meet the future residents of this building, and to make their lives as difficult as possible-- within legal limits of course. And to help make their lives on Canal Street as unlivable as mine has become.

After 9/11, the residents around here were urged to remain. Why did we stay? For this?

Default So they say!

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    Nice pic Ed! So this building can really clean it's self?

Actually its the Harlem building that "claims" to clean it self - and the AIR AROUND IT. If anyone knows more about this product: please share.
    "When UV rays hit the building, the concrete cleans itself and the air around it."
    P.S. Great photo.....Thanks ED.
    Last edited by infoshare; September 2nd, 2006 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add link

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast