Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 Exchange Place - by Cross & Cross

Easily my favourite building in New York, in my favourite area of the city. She is beautiful, and soars!

Yea 20 Exchange Place definately is a beautful building. It's a Art-Deco and that is a style of architecture I would love to see come back someday. Great pics by the way.

This is an awesome building.

I somehow never liked this building. It might be because it's home of that piece of shit Bank of NY. I hate that it has that scaffolding thing up on top, is that temporary? I can't tell from street level.

Forum Veteran

I thought that Bank of NY was in One Wall Street.

The scaffolding at the top is for telecommunications equipment.

I apologize, you're right, NYC from street level is different than NYC from the air...BoNY is in One Wall and their building isn't exactly easily distinguished...

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

362 rentals in first phase of conversion at 20 Exchange Place 03-OCT-06

The first phase of the residential conversion of 20 Exchange Place, one of Lower Manhattan’s most distinctive skyscrapers, will create 362 apartments on the top 41 floors of the 56-story tower.

Nathan Berman, a member of the joint venture with Yaron Bruckner and Eastbridge N.V., that bought the building in 2005 for $152 million, told CityRealty.com today that the units will be rental and that a second phase in several years will bring the building’s total close to 800.

Mr. Berman said that the first phase units should be ready for occupancy by the end of next year and that the building’s 130,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and four lower levels should be ready by the middle of 2008.

The 741-foot-high building was erected as the City Bank Farmers Trust Building in 1931 and designed by Cross & Cross, the architectural firm that also designed 570 Lexington Avenue, originally the RCA Victor Building and then the GE Building, the same year.

It is one of a half dozen important skyscrapers that created the world’s most romantic and famous skyline until the advent of bulky, glass-clad towers in the 1960s.

“Clearly, it is one of the 10 major skyscrapers in the city,” Mr. Berman declared, adding that cleaning and restoration of the building’s exterior, an official city landmark, should be completed in a few months. He said that its interior public spaces, which are not official landmarks, are also being preserved and restored.

In their great book, “New York 1930, Architecture and Urbanism Between The Two World Wars” (Rizzoli International Publications, 1987), Robert A. M. Stern, Gregory Gilmartin and Thomas Mellins noted that “Cross & Cross replaced the Expressionist allusion of their RCA Victor tower with those of Modern Classicism, the style for which the designers were better known and which had virtually become the vernacular language of banking.”

“The building,” the authors continued, “was erected in a remarkably brief span of time, opening for business in 1931, one day less than a year after the first steel column was put in place….Housing two independent banks that each required ground floor accommodations, the ground-floor plan was more intricate than that of any other skyscraper of the era....the banks were each placed at prominent corners; stairs led down half a level from Hanover Street to the fan-shaped banking room of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, while an entrance at the corner of Exchange Place and William Street led diagonally into the lobby of the National City Bank branch, a glorious rotunda sheathed in stone and ringed with red marble columns topped by American eagles. The ceiling was a spectacular reinterpretation of a Classical dome. Stepped concentric rings stenciled in black and silver mounted up to a plastic hemisphere, a Machine Age oculus that washed the room with lighted reflected from concealed fixtures....”

“Although early designs for the tower culminated in a gigantic bronze sphere sported by colossal eagles,” the authors continued, “the final design...was a thin square shaft with chamfered corners rising to a flat roof.”

“Among the building’s modern features that seemed especially to impress the press of the day,” according to www.nyi.net, “were an elaborate pneumatic tube system, a building-wide circulating ice water system, a basement reservoir of liquid soap, a new bronze substitute of nickel alloy with copper, three-way duct lines, the largest telephone exchange ever constructed, and a new-fangled double-decker elevator that serviced two floors at once.”

Mr. Berman’s joint venture has also recently converted the former headquarters of Brown Brothers Harriman to 476 rental apartments at 63 Wall Street and is in the process of converting 67 Wall Street to about 350 rental apartments.

Avinash K. Malhotra is the architect for the residential conversion.

Streetscapes | Exchange Place

An Early Tower That Aspired to Greatness

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
    Published: July 20, 2008

FIFTY-NINE stories does not seem like much now, but when planned in 1929, the City Bank-Farmers Trust Building was to be the tallest skyscraper in the world after the Empire State Building. With its sheer limestone facade, haunting sculptural treatment and rich marble halls, the building — which is being converted to residential use — is a surprising find on its cramped, odd-shaped block at Exchange Place, at the conjunction of Beaver, Hanover and William Streets.

In 1929, the financial district was booming. The architects Cross & Cross were at work on a 50-story office building for Continental Bank at Broad Street and Exchange Place, which ultimately wasn’t built.

E-mail: streetscapes@nytimes.com

Full text at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/re...te/20scap.html

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company
    Last edited by Edward; July 22nd, 2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Removed full text

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for a little while now, but this is my first post. I don't live in New York, but follow NYC development pretty closely. I did an online search, but can't find anything recent about the following statement:

"the building’s 130,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and four lower levels should be ready by the middle of 2008"

You'd think that much retail opening in one location would have generated some new stories. Did this retail open yet? What stores are there if it did? This tower has a website, but it appears to be strictly for selling the residences, and makes no mention at all of the building even having retail.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_f View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for a little while now, but this is my first post. I don't live in New York, but follow NYC development pretty closely. I did an online search, but can't find anything recent about the following statement:

"the building’s 130,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and four lower levels should be ready by the middle of 2008"

You'd think that much retail opening in one location would have generated some new stories. Did this retail open yet? What stores are there if it did? This tower has a website, but it appears to be strictly for selling the residences, and makes no mention at all of the building even having retail.
    there are no shops at ground level, and yes the retail is open, people are living there

Quote Originally Posted by meakin88 View Post
    there are no shops at ground level, and yes the retail is open, people are living there
    So you're saying the ground floor retail space is still vacant? And what other retail has opened in the building? That's a significant amount and I've found not one single article online. Where can I read what's been opened there? Even racked.com has no coverage of all this new retail.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_f View Post
    So you're saying the ground floor retail space is still vacant? And what other retail has opened in the building? That's a significant amount and I've found not one single article online. Where can I read what's been opened there? Even racked.com has no coverage of all this new retail.
    sorry i ment to write rental is open, i didnt know there was retail space at on the ground floor, ill have a lot when i go to Hanover cafe tonight

Quote Originally Posted by meakin88 View Post
    sorry i ment to write rental is open, i didnt know there was retail space at on the ground floor, ill have a lot when i go to Hanover cafe tonight
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You believe the article is mistaken and that there is no ground-floor retail, only retail on the "four lower levels"?

Anyways, I can't believe that there hasn't been any coverage anywhere of 130k square feet of new retail in Lower Manhattan opening at once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast