Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The New York Marathon

Thanks for reposting the pictures, NYatKNIGHT. Both my sister and I are running and getting seriously pumped up for it. Seeing those start photos at Fort Wadsworth made my heart rate go up a bit, knowing I'll be there in just over 24 hours.

Default Marathon 2007 Information

Dear sirs,

I'm writting your from Spain. I'd be in NY by nov 4th. But I didn't get Marathon Lottery. Could I run the marathon anyway with the people, but without the number & chip??? How can I do to be there???

Thank you so Much

October 27, 2008

On the Run in New York

Five boroughs, 26.2 miles, about 40,000 runners and hundreds of thousands of spectators. Explore the New York City Marathon route, learn about the race course, get strategy advice from elite runners, follow the stories of runners on race day and find out where to eat along the route by clicking on the interactive maps below.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=nyregion

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

NY1

Updated 5:32 PM

Marathon Organizers Paint Finish Line

Organizers of the 39th annual ING New York City Marathon painted the ceremonial blue finish line Wednesday morning in Central Park.

The resulting ceremonial blue line will mark the 26-odd mile course.

The five-borough event starts on the west end of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and concludes near Tavern on the Green in Central Park.

“Painting the blue line is a significant effort in and of itself,” said Mary Wittenberg of New York Road Runners. “Some 75 gallons of paint in two nights in the middle of the night, the Department of Transportation, our team at NYRR and NYPD will come out and paint the blue line.”

Tens of thousands of runners will take their marks Sunday at 9 a.m.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

NY Daily News

Priest dedicates 20th marathon run to fallen construction workers

BY LARRY McSHANE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, October 29th 2008, 8:57 PM

Roca/News

The Rev. Brian Jordan will doff his cassock and run in his 20th New York City Marathon, which he's dedicated to the city's fallen construction workers.

As he runs through the concrete canyons of Manhattan, the Rev. Brian Jordan plans a quiet prayer Sunday for the workers who died creating the skyline above.

The Franciscan priest swaps his sandals for running shoes Sunday in the New York City Marathon - and he's dedicating his 26-mile run to the 21 city construction workers killed this year.

The run also launches the Construction Workers Relief Fund, an organization to raise money for the families of future work site tragedy victims - an equivalent to the New York Police & Fire Widows & Children's Benefit Fund.

Roca/News
    Jordan limbers up at 31st St. and Sixth Ave.

"This is going to be one of the most emotionally draining marathons I've ever run in my life," Jordan said yesterday. "I was present at many of the wakes and funerals for these construction workers.

"I'll be praying for them as I run across the bridges they built and past the buildings they put up."

For Jordan, 53, this is his 20th New York City Marathon and his 56th overall. His idea for the fund, to benefit union and nonunion workers, was hailed by several in the construction industry.

"He's really committed to this," said Edward Malloy, president of the Building and Construction Trades Council. "He's seen the pain, seen the problems caused by the loss of a breadwinner.

"That's where this idea came from, and we totally embrace it."

Gary La Barbera, president of the New York City Central Labor Council, agreed.

"Father Brian Jordan is paying an incredible tribute to all New York City building trades workers," he said.

This was a particularly grim year for the industry, with a pair of East Side crane collapses boosting the death toll: Seven dead in March, two more in May.

Jordan, who presided over an April memorial for victims in St. Patrick's Cathedral, was hopeful that the average New Yorker would help out.

"There's no office to work in if no one builds that office," he said. "There's no public transportation, no new stadiums if you don't have construction workers."

Jordan's history with the industry dates back to 9/11, when he worked as a chaplain at Ground Zero for nine months.

Donors for the new fund can contact Malloy's group in Manhattan.

© Copyright 2008 NYDailyNews.com. All rights reserved.

Thanks for posting that story, NYC4Life. The marathon is my favorite city day of the year, and I'll certainly keep an eye out to cheer for Rev. Jordan.

NY1

Updated 1:12 PM

City Ready For Marathon

Top runners from around the globe will hit the pavement tomorrow for the city's ultimate test of endurance.

Nearly 40,000 runners will lace up their sneakers for the 39th annual New York City Marathon, spanning 26.2 miles through all five boroughs.

The race begins at 9 a.m. tomorrow on the Staten Island side of the Verrazano Bridge and finishes in Manhattan's Central Park.

A new feature this year is staggered start times, with groups of runners beginning at different times to ease congestion, but whoever has the best total time will be the winner.

The fastest runners will begin before those staggered groups head to the starting line.

Top finishers on the man's and women's side take home $130,000 in prize money.

There are a number of street and bridge closures tomorrow because of the race.

For a full list and to take a look at the route map, head to www.nycmarathon.org.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

Paula Radcliffe from the UK has just won the womens race, her third NYC marathon win. American Kara Goucher, a native of Queens, finished 3rd.
    Last edited by NYC4Life; November 2nd, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Kara Goucher finished 3rd

Marilson Gomes Dos Santos from Brazil has won on the mens race after pulling ahead on the final mile. Abderrahim Goumri of Morocco came in 2nd.

Stating the obvious, but it happens every year: it's hard to watch the race and not be hugely inspired by the runners, and equally proud of New York.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default Post-marathon traffic . . .

. .. the worst I've ever seen it — I feel like the city messed up on this one.

At around 6, all the cabs were "off-duty"; the marathoners were tired, chilly, exhausted, and just trying to get home.

There were a gazillion pedicabs trying to pick up business at high prices (I heard one quote $35 to go from 72nd and Columbus to Madison and 38th) and all they did was clog up the bus lanes so the buses couldn't run.

I was very inspired by all who ran, and apologize for their inability to get anywhere else post-race!

How insane do you think the ridership volume is for the tram on race day? Any guess on wait times?

2007 by Pabo76

Gonna be quite the party weekend, with lots of visitors coming to town:

Friday, October 30: St. John's University Homecoming

Saturday, October 31: Hallowe'en

Sunday, November 1: NYC Marathon

Plodders Have a Place, but Is It in a Marathon?

By JULIET MACUR

Every weekend during this fall marathon season, long after most runners have completed the 26.2-mile course — and very likely after many have showered, changed and headed for a meal — a group of stragglers crosses the finish line.

Many of those slower runners, claiming that late is better than never, receive a finisher’s medal just like every other participant. Having traversed the same route as the fleeter-footed runners — perhaps in twice the amount of time — they get to call themselves marathoners.

And it’s driving some hard-core runners crazy.

“It’s a joke to run a marathon by walking every other mile or by finishing in six, seven, eight hours,” said Adrienne Wald, 54, the women’s cross-country coach at the College of New Rochelle, who ran her first marathon in 1984. “It used to be that running a marathon was worth something — there used to be a pride saying that you ran a marathon, but not anymore. Now it’s, ‘How low is the bar?’ ”

Tens of thousands of runners are training for marathons this time of year.

As the fields continue to grow — primarily by adding slower runners — so has the intensity of the debate over how quickly an able-bodied runner should finish the once-elite event that is now an activity for the masses.

Purists believe that running a marathon should be just that — running the entire course at a relatively fast clip. They point out that a six-hour marathoner is simply participating in the event, not racing in it. Slow runners have disrespected the distance, they say, and have ruined the marathon’s mystique.

Slower marathoners believe that covering the 26.2 miles is the crux of the accomplishment, no matter the pace. They say that marathons inspire people to get off their couches, if only to cross off an item on the Things to Do Before I Die list. And besides, slow runners are what drive the marathon business, they say.

John Bingham, a runner who is known as the Penguin, is often credited with starting the slow-running movement, in the 1990s. “I have had people say that I’ve ruined the sport of running, but what I’ve been trying to do is promote the activity of running to an entire generation of people,” he said. “What’s wrong with that?”

Bingham added: “The complainers are just a bunch of ornery, grumpy people who want the marathon all to themselves and don’t want the slower runners. But too bad. The sport is fueled and funded by people like me.”

Trends show that marathon finishers are getting slower and slower — and more prevalent — according to Running USA, a nonprofit organization that tracks trends in distance running. From 1980 to 2008, the number of marathon finishers in the United States increased to 425,000 from 143,000.

In 1980, the median finishing time for male runners in United States marathons was 3 hours 32 minutes 17 seconds, a pace of about eight minutes per mile. In 2008, the median finishing time was 4:16, a pace of 9:46. For women, that time in 1980 was 4:03:39. Last year, it was 4:43:32.

In a debate on the Web site slowtwitch.com, someone posting as Record10 Carbon wrote that more than half of the people at a marathon are just overweight and “trying to get a shirt and medal ... looking to one day tell a story about the saga and the suffering of their 11 minute pace ‘race.’ ”

In response, someone wrote: “Being a participant isn’t bad. Yes, there should be a cutoff on some events. But, what that cutoff is can be a raging debate.”

Race directors often struggle to find the right cut-off time, when water stations are closed, roads open to vehicles and volunteers abandon the course. Some directors, however, avoid that problem.

Runners in the Honolulu Marathon have no limits. Race rules state, “All runners will be permitted to finish, regardless of their time.”

Last year, 44 percent of the field for that event finished in more than six hours — with some marathoners stopping for lunch along the course.

“For every race director, there’s a very fine line between putting on a community event and putting on a race,” said Chris Burch, race director for the Des Moines Marathon, which stays open for seven hours. Last year, it stayed open for eight hours, but Burch found that only 4 percent of the participants needed more than seven hours to finish. In the end, that extra hour was not worth it, he said, because of the costs of keeping the course open.

“It is a huge budget item because you have to pay municipal services, like police, fire or trash, and volunteers have to stay longer,” he said. “But it’s not a simple decision. Those back-of-the-pack runners are income for the event, too, and they’re just as important for everyone. There’s a feeling of ‘I paid as much money as the other people to enter, so I should be treated the same.’ ”

At the Marine Corps Marathon, runners must keep a pace of 14 minutes per mile or risk being booted from the event near the 20-mile mark. A bus looms there, waiting to pick up those who fail to cross the 14th Street Bridge before it reopens to traffic. Those who choose to continue on the open course do so at their own risk, taking to the sidewalks or dodging traffic.

At the Berlin Marathon, where the cut-off time is 6:15, the “slow police” are notorious for lurking at the back of the pack. “If runners aren’t able to finish in the time we put in our information book, we ask them to leave the course and find their way to their hotel, or get in the bus,” the race director Mark Milde said.

The New York City Marathon, scheduled for Nov. 1, will have a field of about 40,000. Last year, about 21 percent of the field finished in more than five hours. The race officially ends after 6:30, though runners are scored through 8:40, when the timing system is finally carted off, said the race director Mary Wittenberg.

Longtime marathoners like Julia Given, a 46-year-old marketing director from Charlottesville, Va., still find ways to differentiate the “serious runners” from those at the back of the pack.

“If you’re wearing a marathon T-shirt, that doesn’t mean much anymore,” Given said on the eve of this month’s Baltimore Marathon, where vendors were selling products that celebrate slower runners. One sticker said: “I’m slow. I know. Get over it.”

“I always ask those people, ‘What was your time?’ If it’s six hours or more, I say, ‘Oh great, that’s fine, but you didn’t really run it,’ ” said Givens, who finished the Baltimore race in 4:05:52. “The mystique of the marathon still exists. It’s the mystique of the fast marathon.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sp...3marathon.html

IMHO, the Marathon T-shirts should indicate "who ran the race" and "who merely completed it."

Runners show their finish times and receive the appropriately stenciled T-shirt. (At the 6-hour mark, all finishers receive a shirt with the words "6th Hour, Still Running" entered in parenthesis.

I Finished in the ... Hour

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast