Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 599 Lexington Avenue

Default 599 Lexington Avenue

Architect: Edward Larrabee Barnes

Developer: Boston properties

Style: Post-modernism

Year: 1986

This is a great building!

Sure. Give the origin of the images you post: http://www.thecityreview.com/lex599.html

Okay I will in future.

Forum Veteran

The City Review has not updated in seven months. For heaven's sake, did Carter B. Horsley die or something?

Maybe, There isnt a new site is there? maybe theyve moved

Forum Veteran

This is a great building, i wish Lexington Avenue had more Tall strcutures on the upper portion of the 50's, there are manu low rise building along the ave on 56 57 and 58 street

Isn't this where the flagship Diesel store is?

no. the deisel store is at 60th street, near bloomingdales.

I've considered 599 Lex one of the most under discussed building. Barnes created a really solid composition next to citicorp center. The Subway entry and plaza area are really very good and bring light down to the underground level better than most others in the city. The connection from plaza to building interior is really clean. The curtainwall shows a fine understanding of what is possible and how to get the most out of a wall. Even the floor plan presents many opportunities, including the triangular shaped plates at the top where the building ends up as a sidecore and even has a window into the elevator lobbies.

I've studied a lot of NY office buildings, and often come back to 599 Lex.

Post-modern? I would have thought its architectural style would be modern.

BTW Great pic of the marble entrance/foyer. I really like Frank Stella's low-relief painted sculpture on the wall:

________

599 is correctyl classified as post-modern. No modernist would have designed a building with such a configuration. Besides, Modern is only up to the late 1960's.

What I like best is this buildings contrast to Citigroup. Especially seen from the south, on Lexington, these two buildings make a magnificent composition.

Technically correct Chicagoan. However both post-modernism and modernism are styles that continue past their use-by-date (for want of a better expression). There are of course still post-modern style buildings being designed and built. As far as the modernist movement goes, it is now known as neo-modernism, which basically means you can do what you damn well want to LOL.

Some sources classify 599 as post-modern and some, modern. I guess emmeka knows better than I, for sure. Apologies emmeka as I wasn't doubting your research. Don't know what sources to rely on now :cry:

Thats okay, I dont mind people debating things.

Modern, for the reasons Jon stated.

Quote Originally Posted by JonY
    Technically correct Chicagoan. However both post-modernism and modernism are styles that continue past their use-by-date (for want of a better expression). There are of course still post-modern style buildings being designed and built. As far as the modernist movement goes, it is now known as neo-modernism, which basically means you can do what you damn well want to LOL.
    I do not understand the "techinically correct". Anywho's...

I will change modern to International Style and that fixes the problem. Styles are limited by time. Georgian houses are no longer built, just as "Modern" houses are not- unless you decapitalise the word ( denoting an era as opposed to style). Once the initial time has past, it becomes "neo" otherwise there can be no "neo-modernism".

Charles Jencks, the father of Post-Modern in architecture wrote the definitive criteria for post-modern architecture. Contrary to what lay-people think, it includes more than applied ornamentation, stone and brick ( ie traditional architectural language). It is a debate whether Post-Modernism is over- R. S. Venturi the first practitioner of the style in the States just wrote a book about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JonY
    Some sources classify 599 as post-modern and some, modern. I guess emmeka knows better than I, for sure. Apologies emmeka as I wasn't doubting your research. Don't know what sources to rely on now :cry:
    I agree with that. But it comes down to the methodology that is used to define the categories. Those who concentrate only on aesthetics will classify it as Modern. Those are the ones I do not trust. There is also a philosophy driving the style and that methodology misses the point.

Barnes did not label himself. But he believed that buildings should respond to the specific elements of their site. This makes him a successor to Modernism.

This is one of the best views.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast