View Poll Results: Which Design do you Like Best for the PABT Tower?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Rogers

27 64.29%
  • Pelli Clarke Pelli

11 26.19%
  • Kohn Pedersen Fox

4 9.52%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Port Authority Tower (20 Times Square) - West 42nd Street at Eighth Avenue

whoops... nevermind. This from the post (bottom of the page)

....The news yesterday that the Port Authority and Vornado will continue talking about a deal to build an office tower atop the PA Bus Terminal after a "deadline" expired should surprise no one.

"Why should the PA dump one of the most experienced developers to start the whole process over?" a person familiar with both sides put it.
    Sure, the proposal's been around since 2000; we'll note for old times' sake that Vornado was then talking to Cisco Systems to be its anchor tenant.
    But Vornado chief Steven Roth is a legendarily patient man. It should be noted, though, that a supposed equity partnership with a Chinese investor in the project, reported elsewhere, is not close to being done.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1UpzSHC4S

.. I am not sure how interested the Chinese are in investing in US properties under the circumstances..;

Not one of their brightest ideas...<groan> .

Glaring error
    Port Authority sign torments neighbors

By Bob Fredericks

These lights are too bright for the big city.

The gigantic, 6,000-square-foot, digital TV screen on the Port Authority’s building at Eighth Avenue and West 42nd Street is causing many a sleepless night for some nearby residents -- and even driving their pets cuckoo.

“It’s flashing, flashing, flashing all the time, like lightning or having the paparazzi chasing you in your living room,” lamented Wilmer Hernandez, 74, a retired financial-aid adviser who has lived on 43rd Street for 40 years.

“My cats don’t know what’s happening. They’re jumping around and looking all over the place trying to figure out where the light’s coming from. It’s funny, but it’s not funny,” said Hernandez.

Light from the monstrous boob tube -- which airs ads for Fidelity Investments, Paramount Studios and Peter Pan Bus Lines, among others -- shines through a parking lot and directly into several buildings on 43rd Street.

“At first, I thought there was lightning. Then, I thought the Fire Department was down the street,” Howard Smith, 69, said of the flashing monstrosity.

Smith, who has lived on 43rd Street for 44 years, added, “It becomes this sort of surreal aurora borealis. It makes you wonder what time of day it is.”

The PA turned on the screen in the summer as a way to improve the look of the building and raise ad revenue in a tight economy.

PA Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni said it would “dramatically improve the look of the bus terminal,” and better incorporate the facility “into the dynamic fabric of Times Square.”

But the Port Authority’s sleep-deprived neighbors have been complaining to the city’s 311 phone line, the PA and Community Board 4 ever since.

The PA said it dims the billboard’s lights by 40 percent after dark, but the residents said they are still too bright and would like authority brass to dim them more -- or pull the plug on them entirely late at night.

The residents and authority reps will discuss the issue face-to-face at CB 4’s quality-of-life-committee meeting tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. at the Holland House at 351 W. 42nd St., and weary residents are hopeful.

“Human beings can get used to a lot of things, but it’s not very pleasant,’’ Hernandez said. “I’d like to have my windows open and my curtains open.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1dmDDeQwM

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Not one of their brightest ideas...<groan> .

Glaring error
    Port Authority sign torments neighbors

Light from the monstrous boob tube -- which airs ads for Fidelity Investments, Paramount Studios and Peter Pan Bus Lines, among others -- shines through a parking lot and directly into several buildings on 43rd Street.
    I hate reading stories from the Post.

Build a tower on the parking lot. That should solve his light issues at night and during the day.
    They could just go out and buy good shades. What next? complain about bus fumes?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

^ lol.

lol indeed, people living in Times freaking Square complaining about bright signs visible from their windows

Yeah, but 43rd east of Eighth isn't TImes Square, it's Hells Kitchen.

The zoning regs that encourage large illuminated signs for the area around Eighth & 42nd only went into effect ~ 15 years ago.

This guy has lived on 43rd for 40+ years.

Let's pause for a moment and think about what 43rd st & 8th Avenue was like 40 years ago. And this guy is complaining about lights in his windows now?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If I remember correctly, that LED sign they put up on the corner of 8th & 42nd has been there for the last 5 or 6 years (possibly more).

It is hardly new.

Are they talking about another sign that I don't know about?

BTW, the plans for a Vornado tower above the PA, it's kaput.

They recently installed a new one, much bigger than the last and much much much brighter. Also it's far more visually active (the previous one changed images, but not zapping new visuals every second like a video game, as this one does).

See it HERE.

I'd like to see this building razed, together with the spaghetti-like road network that accompanies it. Buses could let people off at a PATH station in NJ.

If the PA could distribute these air rights elsewhere, enormous money could be generated, and this huge site could become a park.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 15th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

That's a good idea, but i do like to park on the roof of the PA when I come into town. Such a sweet view from up there.

Vornado is like the slowest developer ever. What a waste of time.
    Maybe the site is better suited for less office space with a hotel above. Hopefully the next developer chosen also includes a green roof.

Plan for Bus Terminal Tower Is Dropped
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI
    Published: November 14, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/ny...2&ref=nyregion

I never realized this rendering showed the spire (look closely).
    This design, like the bus terminal, is an ungainly mess.

Looks kind of Miami Beach.

I'm happy about this. Rogers' design had nice touches, but ultimately, it was a lame box. Hopefully, something more innovative will rise there in the future.

I usually like Richard Roger's work too - he sort of like a machinist John Portman, don't you think? But a little of Lord Roger's stuff (and Portman's, too, for that matter) goes a long way, and in this case, I would much rather be able to look at the McGraw-Hill Building. Now THAT'S a skyscraper!