View Poll Results: Which Design do you Like Best for the PABT Tower?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Rogers

27 64.29%
  • Pelli Clarke Pelli

11 26.19%
  • Kohn Pedersen Fox

4 9.52%
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Port Authority Tower (20 Times Square) - West 42nd Street at Eighth Avenue

The Dude Abides

I wouldn't mind this, especially if the street-level retail was done well enough to hide any signs of the ugly green steel:

The original and powerful repeated "X"s of the steel under-structure has already been minimized / trashed by the addition of the flimsy looking grid (added a few years back to hold advertizing).

Any new design should go a step further and completely rethink the facade for the existing portiond of both the north and south wings.

Residential?! The residential market is strong, but who the **** would want to live above the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

Well, I suppose no one could have imagined anyone wanting to live above Times Sq either... Still, residential seems a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    An exerpt from Real Estate Weekly
    12/14/05

"Left mostly vacant for years because of potential air right developments, the North Wing, whose development is an integral part of the bus station's renovation, will see changes occur within the next two to three years. The air rights will be developed to create a hotel, residential or office tower complex above the North Wing.

Dimola said that the terminal is moving forward with plans for a request for proposals for the North Wing, possible as early as the first half of 2006."

The only thing that will be good in this area will be a new hotel or a mix hotel/office thing. Although, are there any examples of this mix anywhere? Of course there are residential/hotel mix around but I am not that aware of any hotel/office except the Time Warner complex which has a mix of everything.

Too bad it would block the remaining side view of McGraw Hill. Oh well, for some reason I never liked that building that much anyway.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    The only thing that will be good in this area will be a new hotel or a mix hotel/office thing. Although, are there any examples of this mix anywhere? Of course there are residential/hotel mix around but I am not that aware of any hotel/office except the Time Warner complex which has a mix of everything.
    I know the New Yorker Hotel and the Hotel Pennsylvania have offices and hotel rooms, though I don't think they're residential. Can't think of anything recent, though.

Forum Veteran

This site is perfect for commercial or ahotel/commercial mix. Hotel Penn has about 400,000 sf of office space and the rest hotel. However, Vornado would like to replace this with a 2 million sf tower, as discussed in other threads. With the fumes and other enviornmental issues, i think it would be hard to put a structure there were people would live 24/7/ Office is the most relevant for that site. Plus that original design is quite nice and it would look great in that area

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I know the New Yorker Hotel and the Hotel Pennsylvania have offices and hotel rooms, though I don't think they're residential. Can't think of anything recent, though.
    Marriott Courtyard / Sloan Kettering Offices on Third Ave.

Forum Veteran

Thats a good call Brooklyn, nice project for sure

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    An exerpt from Real Estate Weekly
    12/14/05

"Left mostly vacant for years because of potential air right developments, the North Wing, whose development is an integral part of the bus station's renovation, will see changes occur within the next two to three years. The air rights will be developed to create a hotel, residential or office tower complex above the North Wing.

Dimola said that the terminal is moving forward with plans for a request for proposals for the North Wing, possible as early as the first half of 2006."
    Down at the WTC site, the Port Authority argues that it can't do residential development. But that's exactly one of the options being considered here. What gives?

Forum Veteran

PA is planning to hire a developer to build over the terminal, they just want to sell the air rights

An official heads up for yall: the project is dead.

Forum Veteran

Yeah, pa KILLED IT AFTER 9/11

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom
    An official heads up for yall: the project is dead.
    Good. Didn't want that dumb box anyway. Hopefully this will increase the likelihood of the NW corner (Duane Reed) getting an office development because that corner needs it more.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast