View Poll Results: Which Design do you Like Best for the PABT Tower?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Rogers

    27 64.29%
  • Pelli Clarke Pelli

    11 26.19%
  • Kohn Pedersen Fox

    4 9.52%
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 485

Thread: Proposed - Port Authority Tower (20 Times Square) - West 42nd Street at Eighth Avenue

  1. #61
    The Dude Abides
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC - Financial District
    Posts
    4,418

    Default

    I wouldn't mind this, especially if the street-level retail was done well enough to hide any signs of the ugly green steel:


  2. #62
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    The original and powerful repeated "X"s of the steel under-structure has already been minimized / trashed by the addition of the flimsy looking grid (added a few years back to hold advertizing).

    Any new design should go a step further and completely rethink the facade for the existing portiond of both the north and south wings.

  3. #63

    Default

    Residential?! The residential market is strong, but who the **** would want to live above the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

    Well, I suppose no one could have imagined anyone wanting to live above Times Sq either... Still, residential seems a bit of a stretch.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    An exerpt from Real Estate Weekly
    12/14/05

    "Left mostly vacant for years because of potential air right developments, the North Wing, whose development is an integral part of the bus station's renovation, will see changes occur within the next two to three years. The air rights will be developed to create a hotel, residential or office tower complex above the North Wing.

    Dimola said that the terminal is moving forward with plans for a request for proposals for the North Wing, possible as early as the first half of 2006."

  4. #64
    Forum Veteran krulltime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Manhattan - UWS
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    The only thing that will be good in this area will be a new hotel or a mix hotel/office thing. Although, are there any examples of this mix anywhere? Of course there are residential/hotel mix around but I am not that aware of any hotel/office except the Time Warner complex which has a mix of everything.

  5. #65

    Default

    Too bad it would block the remaining side view of McGraw Hill. Oh well, for some reason I never liked that building that much anyway.

  6. #66
    The Dude Abides
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC - Financial District
    Posts
    4,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    The only thing that will be good in this area will be a new hotel or a mix hotel/office thing. Although, are there any examples of this mix anywhere? Of course there are residential/hotel mix around but I am not that aware of any hotel/office except the Time Warner complex which has a mix of everything.
    I know the New Yorker Hotel and the Hotel Pennsylvania have offices and hotel rooms, though I don't think they're residential. Can't think of anything recent, though.

  7. #67
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    This site is perfect for commercial or ahotel/commercial mix. Hotel Penn has about 400,000 sf of office space and the rest hotel. However, Vornado would like to replace this with a 2 million sf tower, as discussed in other threads. With the fumes and other enviornmental issues, i think it would be hard to put a structure there were people would live 24/7/ Office is the most relevant for that site. Plus that original design is quite nice and it would look great in that area

  8. #68
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I know the New Yorker Hotel and the Hotel Pennsylvania have offices and hotel rooms, though I don't think they're residential. Can't think of anything recent, though.
    Marriott Courtyard / Sloan Kettering Offices on Third Ave.

  9. #69
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Thats a good call Brooklyn, nice project for sure

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO
    An exerpt from Real Estate Weekly
    12/14/05

    "Left mostly vacant for years because of potential air right developments, the North Wing, whose development is an integral part of the bus station's renovation, will see changes occur within the next two to three years. The air rights will be developed to create a hotel, residential or office tower complex above the North Wing.

    Dimola said that the terminal is moving forward with plans for a request for proposals for the North Wing, possible as early as the first half of 2006."
    Down at the WTC site, the Port Authority argues that it can't do residential development. But that's exactly one of the options being considered here. What gives?

  11. #71
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    PA is planning to hire a developer to build over the terminal, they just want to sell the air rights

  12. #72

    Default

    An official heads up for yall: the project is dead.

  13. #73
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Yeah, pa KILLED IT AFTER 9/11

  14. #74
    Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in Limbo
    Posts
    8,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeCom
    An official heads up for yall: the project is dead.
    Good. Didn't want that dumb box anyway. Hopefully this will increase the likelihood of the NW corner (Duane Reed) getting an office development because that corner needs it more.

  15. #75
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Year in Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: November 16th, 2013, 05:29 AM
  2. Toys R Us Times Square
    By noharmony in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
  3. W New York - Times Square Hotel
    By hyperfine in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
  4. Times Square 2002 Celebrations Part I
    By Edward in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 31st, 2001, 11:39 PM
  5. Pictures of luxurious W Hotel - Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 29th, 2001, 12:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software