Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Investing in Camden

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I think to some extent yes, just because it's so close to Philly.

Camden:

Dr Funky loves decay and decripitude (methinks)

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Dr Funky loves decay and decripitude (methinks)
    All I do is show what people try to keep hidden

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Camden:
    All I do is show what people try to keep hidden
    Yep. I see they tried to hide the burnt house with that traffic cone.

How devious!

Looks what the South Bronx used to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Yep. I see they tried to hide the burnt house with that traffic cone.

How devious!
    Oh ha ha,

OK then explain this to me, why is it that in this country the biggest thing that people worry about is shit like what Brad and Angelina are going to name their kid, and cities are crumbling left and right?

The Dude Abides

Brad and Angelina are considered sexy. Sex sells; ugliness doesn't.

Perhaps a better question to be asking is why they're spending all their time and resources helping out people in Namibia, while there are plenty of people here that could use some assistance.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Namibia is exotic. Exotic sells.
    Camden is domestic.
    Domestic, as in domestic chores or domestic housewife, does not sell.

Sad.That's all I have to say. It is sad that we all live in the richest nation on the face of this Earth, yet we have citizens who can't even afford to feed their family for a day. We can wage a war on Iraq, fighting a faceless enemy, while we can't even begin to crack down on poverty in our own country. I know Republicans and conservatives, and even liberal Democrats will say, people in cities need to be more "fiscally conservative". Yet, people who live in extreme poverty don't even have the monetary means to conserve their own funds. Now, this doesn't excuse Camden, or any other city for that matter, for it's explosive crime rate. That city needs to do something, and fast. That is just embarassing. Though I can understand what can bring a person to commit such acts. Geez, something need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Oh ha ha,

OK then explain this to me, why is it that in this country the biggest thing that people worry about is shit like what Brad and Angelina are going to name their kid, and cities are crumbling left and right?
    Because it is a country where people want something better than their own lives.

Why were more people in ENGLAND concerned about princess Di, her life and her death, than the starving in Africa, etc etc.

It is human, and yelling about it is not going to change the fact.

I know you might feel frustrated. AAMOF, I am a guy that goes through the newsstands while in line at the supermarket and turns all the tabloid crap around so I do not see Spears tummy or Brangelena's baby pics, but comparing that to pictures of burnt out buildings and calling that as a demarcation of societal camouflage of internal hardship is BS.

You are playing too hard with too weak an argument. Yes you will get people to agree with you, but you will get more people ignoring you outright than wanting to help with whatever you are screaming about.

BTW, odd question, have you been involved in the reconstruction of any of these neighborhoods or do you just like yelling about them on bulletin boards?

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC
    Sad.That's all I have to say. It is sad that we all live in the richest nation on the face of this Earth, yet we have citizens who can't even afford to feed their family for a day. We can wage a war on Iraq, fighting a faceless enemy, while we can't even begin to crack down on poverty in our own country. I know Republicans and conservatives, and even liberal Democrats will say, people in cities need to be more "fiscally conservative". Yet, people who live in extreme poverty don't even have the monetary means to conserve their own funds. Now, this doesn't excuse Camden, or any other city for that matter, for it's explosive crime rate. That city needs to do something, and fast. That is just embarassing. Though I can understand what can bring a person to commit such acts. Geez, something need to change.

The difficult thing is, how do you get these NEIGHBORHOODS to change? It has already been proven that just giving them money does not change their attitude. The human race is notorius for doing as little as possible for as much as it can get, and if it can get something for doing nothing, it will continue to do nothing.

How do we break the minimum wage barrier? How do we encourage education and job training? How do we get people to WANT to accept these things instead of doing nothing until their health/safety depend on a bailout from the surrounding areas?

Good point Ninja, only cities that are in major problems such as Camden, can only fix themselves. But where do Camden even begin? These problems are so complex, that it can be just impossible to even begin to start. I think it's all in the thought process. I think that when someone is rasied and brought up in such poverty, one will begin to think that there is nothing else in life. I have had plenty of friends who grew up a hard life, they always tell me, "What's the point of going to school or college? That won't change anything". I feel that some people just don't feel there is a point in life. I'm not saying that all people feel that way. Though, living in a city that is hard and down on it's luck, you'll find plenty of people like that. I feel that a change in attitude is needed. Just become you're from the bottom, doesn't mean you can't rise to the top. It's hard, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Because it is a country where people want something better than their own lives.

Why were more people in ENGLAND concerned about princess Di, her life and her death, than the starving in Africa, etc etc.

It is human, and yelling about it is not going to change the fact.

I know you might feel frustrated. AAMOF, I am a guy that goes through the newsstands while in line at the supermarket and turns all the tabloid crap around so I do not see Spears tummy or Brangelena's baby pics, but comparing that to pictures of burnt out buildings and calling that as a demarcation of societal camouflage of internal hardship is BS.

You are playing too hard with too weak an argument. Yes you will get people to agree with you, but you will get more people ignoring you outright than wanting to help with whatever you are screaming about.

BTW, odd question, have you been involved in the reconstruction of any of these neighborhoods or do you just like yelling about them on bulletin boards?
    I know that in my own city, I've tried to get to city hall meetings and listen in one how things are done, but they were closed and I kept getting meeting dates messed up....

PS, these pics are from www.urbandecay.ca

Default silly and preachy

I read this thread with a groan.

Altruism is dumb wrt to development, whether in Namibia or Camden. We're not talking about curing cancer or a breakthrough for mankind, we're talking about a real estate business proposal.

Landlors and developers want to make money - and thank God for that. Just look at every example in history where people have argued they should value something besides profits [I'd argue Newark's 1960s urban renewal blight is a good poster child - no need to look at even more disgusting international examples].

I think we should focus on how we can make business in these places a profitable venture that will pencil out without burdening other taxpayers unreasonably, rather than ponder on how we, alone, care for humanity while the rest of the world has the temerity to be entertained by something less morbid than urban decay.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast