Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 126

Thread: New Jersey Investing in Camden

  1. #91

    Default

    Deep layoffs take effect in struggling NJ city


    CAMDEN — Some police officers are turning in their badges in one of the nation's most impoverished and crime-ridden cities.

    Deep layoffs began Tuesday in Camden.







    Up to one-fourth of the city government's workforce is expected to lose their jobs.

    About half the police force and one-third the firefighters were expected to lose their positions.

    Police officers began turning in their badges Monday as it became clear that no last-minute deal was going to save many jobs.

    Firefighters are planning to march to City Hall.

    Mayor Dana Redd is planning a noon news conference to talk about the layoffs in a city facing a huge budget deficit and declining
    state aid.


    http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...uggling+Camden

  2. #92
    Jersey Patriot JCMAN320's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    4,444

    Exclamation Camden PO Union Rejects Deal

    Camden police union rejects concession deal that could bring back 100 laid-off officers

    Published: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 8:20 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 8:21 PM
    By The Associated Press


    Star-Ledger Staff
    A Camden Police Department officer patrols along Broadway in Camden on Thursday, 2 December 2010. The state has approved a plan to lay off over 300 public workers in Camden, including about half of the police department. (Noah Addis/For The Star-Ledger)

    CAMDEN — Two efforts to reverse some of the stunning police layoffs in one of America's most dangerous cities failed today.

    A judge ruled that he won't force Camden to bring back 167 police officers who were laid off earlier in the week. Later, a union for most of the officers rejected a deal containing concessions, which would have put the majority of them back to work.

    The layoffs reduced the size of the police force by nearly half in one of the nation's most impoverished and crime-ridden cities. Some civilian employees such as dispatchers also were laid off, along with about one-third of the city's firefighters.

    Altogether, more than 15 percent of Camden's municipal workers, including 68 firefighters and about 100 civilians, were laid off as the city tries to fill a huge budget gap brought on by rising costs, decreased tax revenues and diminished aid from the state.

    In an evening vote, the city chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police rejected a deal that would have reinstated officers in exchange for giving them unpaid furlough days.

    F.O.P. Local 1 President John Williamson said the vote was 300-1 against the measure.

    Mayor Dana Redd and Williamson both said about 100 officers could have been brought back under the deal. Williamson said the agreement called for three days a month of unpaid furloughs for patrol officers for six months, then one furlough day in each of the following 12 months.

    Williamson said the mayor's words during a news conference Tuesday were a factor in the vote. She said the average rank-and-file officer has a salary and benefits worth $140,000 a year — a number the union disputes. Williamson said the salary of an officer is about $77,000 and the benefits are not as generous as the mayor said.

    Police union officials say Camden officers don't make as much as those in most nearby suburban towns, even though the work is more dangerous.

    "People were angry. People were upset. Some of the comments that the mayor has made about the police department, about officers, about the union itself, the people don't like it," Williamson said. "They watch the news, too."

    Redd said in a statement today that she was disappointed with the union. "This offer not only would have saved approximately 100 police jobs, it would have demonstrated their commitment to the residents of Camden," she said.

    Earlier in the day, unions for both rank-and-file officers and their superiors argued in court that the state Civil Service Commission did not take the right steps when it approved the layoffs. They also claimed the city laid off more officers than it originally planned.

    The city disputes those claims. It does not dispute, however, that some officers didn't get notice of their layoffs 45 days in advance.

    Superior Court Judge Francis Orlando ruled that the proper place for the complaints is with the Civil Service Commission or an appeals court — not his court.

    Cheryl Cooper, a lawyer for the unions, said she would likely go to a higher court with the case.

    Redd has said she has a total of $5.5 million from a rent payment from the South Jersey Port Authority and in extra aid from the state that could be used to bring back some laid-off workers. But she said she wanted four police and fire unions to agree to $2 million each in concessions first.

    Meanwhile, Al Ashley, president of the Camden Fire Officers union, said it didn't take long to begin to feel the strain of the depleted force.

    He said that Tuesday morning, as laid-off firefighters were preparing to return their gear, there was a minor fire in a high-rise apartment building.

    All 26 firefighters on duty in the city responded, he said. According to guidelines, two additional companies — or eight troops — should have been there, too.

    Before the layoffs, Ashley said, about 44 firefighters would have been on duty.

    At about the same time, there were two more calls from fire alarms. Neither amounted to much, he said, but it was up to volunteer companies from neighboring towns to respond. He said that's likely to become the norm now.

    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ejects_co.html

  3. #93

    Default

    I will never say that union members should take one up the rear for their host municipality, but in this recession, and what's at stake...come on now.

  4. #94
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Especially since it was not an hourly wage or benefit reduction.

  5. #95
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Camden police union rejects concession deal that could bring back 100 laid-off officers

    Published: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 8:20 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 8:21 PM
    By The Associated Press


    Star-Ledger Staff
    A Camden Police Department officer patrols along Broadway in Camden on Thursday, 2 December 2010. The state has approved a plan to lay off over 300 public workers in Camden, including about half of the police department. (Noah Addis/For The Star-Ledger)

    CAMDEN — Two efforts to reverse some of the stunning police layoffs in one of America's most dangerous cities failed today.

    A judge ruled that he won't force Camden to bring back 167 police officers who were laid off earlier in the week. Later, a union for most of the officers rejected a deal containing concessions, which would have put the majority of them back to work.

    The layoffs reduced the size of the police force by nearly half in one of the nation's most impoverished and crime-ridden cities. Some civilian employees such as dispatchers also were laid off, along with about one-third of the city's firefighters.

    Altogether, more than 15 percent of Camden's municipal workers, including 68 firefighters and about 100 civilians, were laid off as the city tries to fill a huge budget gap brought on by rising costs, decreased tax revenues and diminished aid from the state.

    In an evening vote, the city chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police rejected a deal that would have reinstated officers in exchange for giving them unpaid furlough days.

    F.O.P. Local 1 President John Williamson said the vote was 300-1 against the measure.

    Mayor Dana Redd and Williamson both said about 100 officers could have been brought back under the deal. Williamson said the agreement called for three days a month of unpaid furloughs for patrol officers for six months, then one furlough day in each of the following 12 months.

    Williamson said the mayor's words during a news conference Tuesday were a factor in the vote. She said the average rank-and-file officer has a salary and benefits worth $140,000 a year — a number the union disputes. Williamson said the salary of an officer is about $77,000 and the benefits are not as generous as the mayor said.

    Police union officials say Camden officers don't make as much as those in most nearby suburban towns, even though the work is more dangerous.

    "People were angry. People were upset. Some of the comments that the mayor has made about the police department, about officers, about the union itself, the people don't like it," Williamson said. "They watch the news, too."

    Redd said in a statement today that she was disappointed with the union. "This offer not only would have saved approximately 100 police jobs, it would have demonstrated their commitment to the residents of Camden," she said.

    Earlier in the day, unions for both rank-and-file officers and their superiors argued in court that the state Civil Service Commission did not take the right steps when it approved the layoffs. They also claimed the city laid off more officers than it originally planned.

    The city disputes those claims. It does not dispute, however, that some officers didn't get notice of their layoffs 45 days in advance.

    Superior Court Judge Francis Orlando ruled that the proper place for the complaints is with the Civil Service Commission or an appeals court — not his court.

    Cheryl Cooper, a lawyer for the unions, said she would likely go to a higher court with the case.

    Redd has said she has a total of $5.5 million from a rent payment from the South Jersey Port Authority and in extra aid from the state that could be used to bring back some laid-off workers. But she said she wanted four police and fire unions to agree to $2 million each in concessions first.

    Meanwhile, Al Ashley, president of the Camden Fire Officers union, said it didn't take long to begin to feel the strain of the depleted force.

    He said that Tuesday morning, as laid-off firefighters were preparing to return their gear, there was a minor fire in a high-rise apartment building.

    All 26 firefighters on duty in the city responded, he said. According to guidelines, two additional companies — or eight troops — should have been there, too.

    Before the layoffs, Ashley said, about 44 firefighters would have been on duty.

    At about the same time, there wfere two more calls from fire alarms. Neither amounted to much, he said, but it was up to volunteer companies from neighboring towns to respond. He said that's likely to become the norm now.

    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ejects_co.html
    No surprise there. Unions only care about their power and moneyraising!Any deals are seen as weakneses and losing of camdem cops as members means nothing to them when these unions are all affiliated among millions of members. The sad part is that this legal mafia has paid politicians to rule that union membership MUST be a condition for employment. If I were a cop I would file a lawsuit to recoup ALL dues I paid! A lot of good the union did for these ex cops!!!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:38 PM.

  6. #96

    Default

    Well they'll definitely be working for those dollars now.

  7. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Especially since it was not an hourly wage or benefit reduction.
    That's why I can appreciate the concept of a union, but I am no fan of its application. Not of all of them, but many unions become too self-oriented, and while it may be important to protect the union body, it seems they forget about the importance of the service they provide.

  8. #98
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    I had a very dear friend (recently departed) that was strike breaker. He told me that the pendulum swings back and forth, and when things get really bad, people go back to supporting unions. We're not there yet.

  9. #99

    Default

    Wow the abyss:

    Into the abyss: With high crime, fewer cops and little money, Camden is sinking even deeper into trouble

    Published: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 5:55 AM

    By Kevin Manahan/The Star-Ledger
    Follow





    Share45
    30



    Share close

    Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark



    Share Email Print





    Jerry McCrea/The Star-LedgerEvidence is gathered and documented by a crime scene investigator as Camden police work the scene of a shooting and homicide Jan.20 in the neighborhood of Sacred Heart Church.
    It’s 2 p.m. on a Thursday in Camden, and the McDonald’s at the corner of Haddon Avenue and Federal Street, in the heart of downtown, is packed. Customers consult an overhead menu and make selections, and when orders are filled, the manager holds aloft the sacks of burgers and fries, barks out the contents and waits for them to be claimed.
    Suddenly, the rhythm is broken.
    An angry man charges to the counter and claims that an employee peeked in on him while he was in a restroom stall.
    “That’s invasion of privacy, man!” he screams.
    Employees check restrooms because the facilities often serve as offices for drug dealers and prostitutes, he is told. But he dismisses the explanation with a string of profanities and a tug on his crotch.
    He is ordered to leave the restaurant, but refuses. The manager motions to the police headquarters across the street and threatens to summon the cops. The man laughs as he heads for the door.
    “Go ahead, call the cops,” he says. “Haven’t you heard? There ain’t no police left in this freakin’ city.”
    Camden, the state’s poorest and most violent city, earlier this month laid off nearly half its police force. And even so, the city council voted this past week to raise taxes by 23 percent to cover the bills.
    No one knows what will happen next because this kind of civic collapse is new and historic. But the city’s 78,788 residents wonder if their lives are teetering, as resident William Sylvester says, on the edge of “all-out hellfire.”
    MORE CAMDEN IN PERSPECTIVE:
    Life in Camden amid the blight and the bullets
    Tough times in Camden
    He's doing God's work

    Just as the angry customer bolted the McDonald’s, a 911 call came: Two miles away, at Ferry Street and Broadway, in the shadow of Sacred Heart Church, Anjanea Williams, 20, had been felled by a bullet meant for a drug dealer.
    Police say three men, their faces covered, approached a group of men standing outside a sandwich shop. One opened fire. Williams, walking to the deli with a friend, was the only person hit. As the innocent victim, known as “Nay Nay” to friends, crumpled onto the sidewalk with a slug in her abdomen, her blood mixed with the snow and ice left behind by the last storm.
    The shooting was the fourth in the area in two weeks, one cop said.
    About a hour later, as an investigator bagged 11 shell casings, a resident pointed to four more shells near her stoop. Those were from a previous shooting, she was told.
    “Somebody bleeding on the sidewalk with a bullet in them? Just an average day in Camden,” resident Ron Woods said. “It’s crazy out here with all these wannabe gangsters firing on everyone. Will it get worse? How can it? People are already being killed.”
    Williams, rushed to nearby Cooper Hospital, died eight hours later.
    Taurean Houston, 28, of Camden now faces a murder charge. Houston had been out of jail on $175,000 bail since June after exchanging gunfire with Vernon Page, also 28 and a resident of Camden, in another drug-territory dispute, according to court records.
    Trouble around the state
    Camden is sinking faster and further than any place else, but New Jersey’s impoverished cities are facing a perfect storm that creates frightening possibilities.
    Newark recently shrank its police force by 167 officers, a move that was promptly followed by a rash of car jackings. Trenton postponed the layoffs of 111 cops, but it might be only temporary. And cities such as Irvington, East Orange and Elizabeth are facing shortfalls that are forcing tax hikes and spending cuts, which are bound to reinforce the downward spiral.
    Why is this happening now? Take your pick:
    • Gov. Chris Christie cut state aid to all towns, but he hit poor cities particularly hard with an outright elimination of special streams of state aid earmarked during the Corzine years for cities.
    • Police unions, in Camden and elsewhere, are refusing to make concessions on salaries and benefits that could limit the damage.
    • The Democratic-led Legislature has delayed enacting key pieces of the governor’s “tool kit” to help contain costs, especially pension and health care expenses.
    • The recession caused a spike in foreclosures and a drop in housing values, reducing revenue from local property taxes. And rising poverty has increased demands on the city.
    The backdrop of this is that New Jersey is heavily reliant on the property tax, and because poor cities have so little property to tax, they are constantly falling short. That’s a structural problem, and no one has even proposed a realistic way to address it.
    “There is no urban strategy to deal with this,” says William Dressel, director of the state’s League of Municipalities. “Camden is basically the worst-case scenario of what is happening to communities across the state.”
    Troubles begin with drugs
    Camden’s streets are controlled by drug dealers, who operate in broad daylight. On a Friday, after a string of midmorning transactions, one drug dealer sat on the steps of a North Camden convenience store, counting his stack of bills. On a nearby corner, a crossing guard and a two-man drug operation jockeyed for space.
    The blocks between the dealers are patrolled by pimps and prostitutes. Here, in the gutter, used condoms outnumber discarded coffee cups.
    Even in the safest homes, residents are imprisoned by their own iron bars, which stretch across windows and doors, and from porch railing to roof. Terrified parents — such as Rose Delgado — hustle their kids to school, praying the rosary as they trot.
    “You couldn’t stop the crime here with the Marines,” said Monsignor Michael Doyle, pastor of Sacred Heart Church since 1974. “Because you can’t stop the drugs.”
    Into this cauldron stepped Mayor Dana Redd, a Camden native and former legislator who commanded enough respect in Trenton to regain local control of the city last year after seven years of state oversight by a chief operating officer appointed by the governor.
    The rookie mayor tried hard to force cops to make concessions on salaries and benefits, saying the give-backs would allow the city to retain 100 cops. So far, no luck.
    The median salary for a Camden cop is $79,656, well below the state median of $90,672.
    Redd, however, has chosen a more startling number in making her case: a cop’s cost to the city. Rank-and-file salary, bonuses and benefits cost the city $140,000 per man, she says, and the total tab for higher-ranking officers is closer to $200,000.
    John Williamson, the union president, insists the mayor exaggerates. She also couldn’t guarantee no layoffs in 2012, and that’s why Camden police voted 300-1 against a proposal of $2 million worth of furloughs and health care contributions.
    Behind the scenes, the governor and mayors of New Jersey’s major cities will huddle soon to discuss the possible disbanding of city police forces and the creation of countywide agencies — with cheaper cops receiving more realistic benefits. It’s a way to ditch suffocating contracts. Such a plan for Camden has received support from state Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) and others.
    Unbending, Camden unions warn of relentless gunfire and residents trapped in raging fires: “It’s already the wild, wild West here,” Williamson said. “We’re not trying to scare anyone. We’re just telling the truth.”
    Sixty-seven firefighters and approximately 115 city workers also lost their jobs in this month’s layoffs. Eighty-year-old Agnes Howell didn’t care about the details of the contract disputes, only that there are fewer cops. “I’m scared to death,” she says.
    Christie: No more money
    So far, desperate urban mayors are getting a shrug from Christie, who pulls out his empty pockets and portrays public unions as robber barons. It makes for great YouTube moments, but it leaves terrified city dwellers caught in the crossfire — literally.
    As he sat on the shiny basketball court at the Prudential Center on Tuesday to welcome the NCAA Tournament to Newark in March, Christie was asked about Camden’s plight.
    He called the police contract “completely outrageous,” and made it clear he wouldn’t find more money for the police and fire unions, despite the death toll.
    “If people feel they’re caught in the middle here — I understand why they feel that way — but tough decisions have to be made,” he said. “The decision that’s been made over and over again is, ‘Listen, just pay whatever their demands are ... because for goodness’ sakes, we can’t anger the police unions or fire unions or teachers unions.’
    “I’m sorry. I take a different approach, and I think the people of the state are tired of being the highest-taxed people in America.”
    Short-handed investigations
    On Friday, as the Williams family made funeral arrangements, Williamson, the union president, was giving a tour of the city’s roughest neighborhoods. Before heading into North Camden, he removed his gun from the center console of his SUV and placed it in his lap. Dealers recognized the vehicle and flashed gang hand symbols in defiance.
    “If I didn’t have you in the car ... ” Williamson said, but he didn’t finish the thought.
    Even if he could round up every criminal, there is less of a chance they would be convicted now. Camden’s detectives, who did the legwork for the county prosecutor’s office, are being shoved into patrol cars. That means fewer officers to collect evidence and interview witnesses, and that will mean a drop in conviction rates. Dangerous criminals will remain on the streets. Crime could bleed into other communities.
    “Camden’s problems put more on our plate,” said Camden County Prosecutor Warren Faulk, whose agency already faces a $3.2 million deficit.
    Faulk recalled a former New York City crime-scene investigator hired by Camden. On one of his first calls, he had to collect evidence while a dead body was still on the scene. Under New York’s protocol, the body had always been removed before he was called.
    “I can’t work around dead bodies,” he said.
    “Then you can’t work here,” he was told.
    He quit.
    Doyle, the monsignor, hopes Redd has a plan to keep the dead bodies from piling up on the streets. He believes she receives divine help.
    When Redd was a child, her parents died in an apparent murder-suicide. Not long after, Mother Theresa visited Sacred Heart Church, and Doyle selected Redd, then a third-grader, to present her with a lei. In return, Mother Theresa bestowed a blessing. The framed lei of dried flowers, remarkably preserved, still hangs in the church’s sacristy.
    “We hope the blessing has lasted as long,” Doyle says. “I guess we’re going to find out.”
    Kevin Manahan is a member of The Star-Ledger Editorial Board. Share your thoughts at njvoices.com.
    CITIES ON THE BRINK
    Camden might be the national poster child for the destructive situation cash-strapped cities find themselves in, but other New Jersey cities could be headed toward calamity.

    East Orange
    Officials worry about backsliding. In 2003, East Orange was second to Camden in New Jersey crime, and now, after a 75 percent reduction in crime since then, the city plans to lay off up to 38 police officers. The city hopes for a federal grant that could save some cops. Eighty-two city workers are scheduled for layoffs this week.

    Irvington
    Violent crime has dipped, but for how long? The city, with 180 cops, is in the midst of negotiations and has submitted a plan with the state that calls for 31 cops to be laid off. Last year, 20 cops were let go, then rehired with overtime savings. Mired in debt, Irvington is likely to require some state supervision, Mayor Wayne Smith said.

    Trenton
    The city lost $42 million in state aid last year. Mayor Tony Mack says he has whittled the budget deficit to $18.5 million and will close it through union concessions, a tax hike and property sales — without laying off police. But if that doesn’t work, the city could run out of money. Mack recently predicted layoffs coming in July and next January.

    -- Kevin Manahan
    MOST VIOLENT U.S. CITIES*
    *Population 75,000 or more

    1. St. Louis
    2. Camden
    3. Detroit
    4. Flint, Mich.
    5. Oakland, Calif.

    CAMDEN'S CRIME STATS
    Violent crime: 1,880 incidents
    Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter: 34
    Forcible rape: 60
    Robbery: 766
    Aggravated assault: 1,020
    Property crime: 3,935
    Burglary: 1,035
    Larceny-theft: 2,251
    Motor vehicle theft: 649
    Arson: 137

    Sources: CQ Press, FBI report on 2009 crime known to law enforcement'

    http://blog.nj.com/perspective/2011/...igh_crime.html

  10. #100
    Jersey Patriot JCMAN320's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    4,444

    Default

    Move the Battleship NJ to either JC or Bayonne where it should of gone originally and leave the place for dead. The city is lost!!!

  11. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UrbanToronto.ca
    Posts
    371

    Default

    ^ This from the richest country in the world. Pathetic.

  12. #102
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    ^ This from the richest country in the world. Pathetic.
    How is it America's fault? Its simple. The people who built these cities have moved /chased out. Replaced by mentally deficient criminal ghetto animals who prey on the few who remain and hope things turn around.Their ghetto pimp Democrat politicians cater to the lowest residents for votes,ignoring the remnant middle and business class that have no representation(no Replublicans forever)and tax them to death.In the past,delinquent citizens were shamed into turning their lives and contributing to society. Todays Camden residents by far have NO shame and stick their finger at the world. Ceede it to PA. and annex Camden to Philly!!!
    Last edited by Newarkguy; February 1st, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

  13. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Move the Battleship NJ to either JC or Bayonne where it should of gone originally and leave the place for dead. The city is lost!!!
    Agreed. Some said it couldn't compete w/ NY's ship, but that's a carrier, I think JC/Bayonne would've definitely worked (Or even AC/Cape May if it was to stay in South Jersey.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    ^ This from the richest country in the world. Pathetic.
    Care to elaborate?

  14. #104

    Default

    Nation's most dangerous small city rehires police



    – Fri Apr 1, 7:33 pm ET


    NEW YORK (Reuters) – Camden, New Jersey, the nation's most crime-ridden small city, on Friday welcomed back 55 police officers and 31 firefighters laid off in January because of lack of funding.
    Mayor Dana Redd was able to rehire the 86 public safety workers after receiving $2.5 million in state and federal funds.
    "I fully expect that all boots will hit the ground and that their presence will be known and felt throughout our neighborhoods and business districts," Mayor Redd said in the statement.
    In the months since the officers received their pink slips, Camden has experienced a slight increase in crime but it could not be directly tied to the layoffs, mayoral spokesman Robert Corrales told Reuters. There was no change in reported damages caused by fires, he said.
    The state and federal funds came in the wake of the city's failed effort to win concessions from union leaders and the defeat of the mayor's budget, which would have restored even more public safety personnel, officials said.
    "Our commitment to Camden and the public safety of our residents should send a clear message to the criminals looking to deteriorate our quality of life. we will not give up and we will fight for our great city," Redd said in the statement.
    Redd thanked New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and the Federal Emergency Management Agency for securing the funds.
    "With these additional state and federal funds, the city will now have 20 percent more police officers patrolling the streets and nearly the same number of firefighters responding to emergencies since the layoffs," Redd said in the statement.
    Camden was ranked as the most dangerous small city in the United States in 2010, according to CQ. The ranking took into account murder, rape, robbery, burglary and motor vehicle theft data.
    (Reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Greg McCune)


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110401/..._camden_police

  15. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Nation's most dangerous small city rehires police



    – Fri Apr 1, 7:33 pm ET


    NEW YORK (Reuters) – Camden, New Jersey, the nation's most crime-ridden small city, on Friday welcomed back 55 police officers and 31 firefighters laid off in January because of lack of funding.
    Mayor Dana Redd was able to rehire the 86 public safety workers after receiving $2.5 million in state and federal funds.
    "I fully expect that all boots will hit the ground and that their presence will be known and felt throughout our neighborhoods and business districts," Mayor Redd said in the statement.
    In the months since the officers received their pink slips, Camden has experienced a slight increase in crime but it could not be directly tied to the layoffs, mayoral spokesman Robert Corrales told Reuters. There was no change in reported damages caused by fires, he said.
    The state and federal funds came in the wake of the city's failed effort to win concessions from union leaders and the defeat of the mayor's budget, which would have restored even more public safety personnel, officials said.
    "Our commitment to Camden and the public safety of our residents should send a clear message to the criminals looking to deteriorate our quality of life. we will not give up and we will fight for our great city," Redd said in the statement.
    Redd thanked New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and the Federal Emergency Management Agency for securing the funds.
    "With these additional state and federal funds, the city will now have 20 percent more police officers patrolling the streets and nearly the same number of firefighters responding to emergencies since the layoffs," Redd said in the statement.
    Camden was ranked as the most dangerous small city in the United States in 2010, according to CQ. The ranking took into account murder, rape, robbery, burglary and motor vehicle theft data.
    (Reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Greg McCune)


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110401/..._camden_police
    Well this is some good news for a change.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Jersey running out of Open Space
    By Kris in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2015, 10:06 AM
  2. 3 New Towers in Jersey City
    By Zoe in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2012, 06:55 AM
  3. Jersey City's Other Waterfront
    By JCMAN320 in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM
  4. Brooklyn to Jersey City
    By JCMAN320 in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Bear Stearns cancels Jersey City move
    By NYguy in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 27th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software