Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top of the Rock - Observation Deck atop GE Building in Rockefeller Center

Banned Member

500 Fifth looks great from that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    There have been a lot of pictures taken from the top. Is it open to the public or what? Just reporters? I was watching David Letterman for a second last night and they had a shot from the top.
    web site http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ says it is to open Nov 1st 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    I asked a security guard in 30 Rockefeller when it will open and he said the middle of September. Maybe thats when you can buy tickets. He was at the 50th Street Entrance too.
    Press release :

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/docum...peningDate.pdf

Maybe the guard said so because tickets go on sale Sept. 1 ?
    If it's really mid September, the webmaster needs a slap on the wrist for putting "Opens Nov 1st" in a 20pt. font at the top of the page

In any case I hope that, since capacity is limited, getting tickets won't be too hard, I'll be in NYC again around October/November, and would *very much* like to visit this observatory
    Last edited by RedNucleus; August 15th, 2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: adding press release url

Site shows $14.00 / person to go to the top. You reserve a time and are given a 15 minute window (15 people are allowed up in every window period).

Sounds like they've added some very cool high-tech stuff (crazy sounding elevators) before you get to the real show -- NYC !! -- from the top of the 70th Floor.

NewYorkology
    October 12, 2005

New Rockefeller Center roof decks offer a 360 of NYC

When Rockefeller Center next month reopens its observation decks for the first time in two decades, visitors will get access to a nearly 360-degree panorama of New York, timed entry passes to eliminate lines, a look at the world's largest crystal chandelier, and possibly the city's best view of the Empire State Building.

Designed in the 1930s to evoke the look and feel of an ocean liner in the sky, the original art deco ornamentation has been preserved, including massive cast aluminum fleur-de-lis atop the skyscraper.

The 69th- and 70th-floor roof decks were originally open to the public when the building opened in 1933, but were closed after operators of The Rainbow Room decided in 1985 to expand the restaurant.

Beginning Nov. 1, the public will be allowed back on the observation decks of the building's top three floors. Visitors can purchase timed-entry tickets online, which will all but eliminate the need to wait in a line at Rockefeller Center. Walk-up tickets will also be available everyday at the 50th Street entrance.

Once ticketed, visitors can walk up three flights of a new spiral staircase built around the new Swarovski chandelier. The history of Rockefeller Center is detailed on the mezzanine level through multimedia exhibits. A large scale model of Rockefeller Center, previously housed at the Museum of the City of New York, will be on display. Kids can walk across a steel beam (safely surrounded by Plexiglas,) and look down at a streaming video of a construction site.

Once guests head to the express elevators, they'll leave all the history lessons behind. "When you get to the top, it’s all about the view," said Peter Dillon, director of marketing for Tishman Speyer, the building's co-owner.

The view is indeed spectacular, with Central Park to the north and the Empire State Building prominent to the south. On the east side there's the Chrysler building and Times Square in the west side. On clear days, the view extends 80 miles.

The observation decks are 20 feet wide, compared with the 8-foot-width of the observation deck at the Empire State Building, Dillon said. New telescopes have been installed on the 69th floor, and a small gift shop will open, but the original deck chairs have been removed. There is no seating on the top floors, but visitors are allowed to linger as long as they like. (But the building closes at midnight with the last elevator heading up at 11:30 p.m.)

The introductory price of $14 for adults is good through March 31; after that it rises to $17.50. Tickets can be purchased online. The entrance to Top of the Rock is located on W. 50th Street, between 5th and 6th avenues.

Posted by Amy at October 12, 2005 10:38 AM

®Copyright 2005, All Rights Reserved

Forum Veteran

Yay!

I'll give it a couple of days and then I'm up there ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Once ticketed, visitors can walk up three flights of a new spiral staircase built around the new Swarovski chandelier.
    I happened to be walking down 51st St. today and they had just removed the covering over the windows at the new lobby...

The spiral staircase is pretty dramatic

This should be a blast !!

Athough I did just notice that the deck chairs have been removed

If I'm not busy, I might consider it.

Banned Member

I like that it is an open patio to the sky. At the WTC, we had those walkways around the edges. At ESB, we have the building in the middle. This will be a totally unique experience.

^Yes, thrillingly exposed. I'm definitely going up as soon as I can.

From marmos.de:

Last edited by BigMac; October 18th, 2005 at 07:56 PM.

are they going to leave that low fence or are they going to put a fence up like the esb observation deck?

Forum Veteran

Looks like whoever took that picture went up in the late '90s. The Madison Belvedere, to the right of the Metropolitan Life Tower, is finished.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast