Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Top of the Rock - Observation Deck atop GE Building in Rockefeller Center

Quote Originally Posted by Edward

As to the deck, although it is claimed to be on the 70th floor, the elevator guy presses button for 67, where there are two small observation areas. Most people take an escalator to the main deck on floor 68, but I imagine there might be elevators too.
    Thanks. We'll give it a test-drive. The second photo posted by SBJ above (of the top-most deck?) clearly shows an elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by sbj
    There appears to be no restriction on how long you stay up for.
    I asked one of the attendants on the deck directly about that and indeed, you can stay as long as you like, the timed tickets are only for shuffling people to the elevators in organized manner.

The ticket system seems to be well designed - after you buy the ticket, you don 't have to stay in line, you can leave or sit in the waiting area until your time slot shows up on the display.

Default Tickets

Can tickets be purchased on site?

Quote Originally Posted by urban75
    I visited the Empire State a few years back and got some great sunset/dusk pictures - could someone suggest the best 15 mins for that please?
    The last picture that I posted was taken at 5:50 pm - and that's before we changed the clock 1 hour this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist
    Can tickets be purchased on site?
    Yes, you can purchase on site, however, potentially they could be sold out for the next several hours or even days. Since they have not even officially opened it is hard to predict how popular the place would be. The advantage of buying online is that you get exact time on your ticket, arrive at that time and do not have to wait.

Yes, the 2nd photo is the top floor. One of the reasons I put it there was to show the elevator as well as the layout. That is not the elevator that comes from the ground. That stops at 67, the indoor observation area. There is a further elevator around the corner that services 66 (the restrooms),69 and 70 (seen in the photo). There is no floor 68 as 67 is double height.

Default thanks Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    Yes, you can purchase on site, however, potentially they could be sold out for the next several hours or even days. Since they have not even officially opened it is hard to predict how popular the place would be. The advantage of buying online is that you get exact time on your ticket, arrive at that time and do not have to wait.
    Thanks...I am hoping to get back soon, but plans are sketchy. I am sure to be back for the holidays, but others that wish to go with me, are not. If I end up going solo, I'll drop by in the morning and take what's available.

I'm VERY happy that this has opened. I'm coming to New York on Wednesday, great timing.

The way they have the ticketing set up is pretty smart. I didn't really want to do the ESB since it seems like the crowds are pretty crazy....

looks cool.

This morning the Today Show did segment after segment ( 7AM - 9 AM ) from on Top of the Rock.

Fantastic shots. Tomorrow the msnbc.msn.com website should have video (they post the next day).

Default lofty perch

I am going to visit ASAP; but first I will check in with Webcam3 to see what the current NYC visability conditions are. As I"ve said; this website is the best.

This is a must see. By your ticket(s) ahead of time to save time. And
    take a camera....

More pics from today

NOVEMBER 1, 2005

thank you for your photographs, superb, highly May that I visit the Top Of The Rock

More NY at NIGHT:
    Last edited by NYatKNIGHT; June 17th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Clap-Clap-Clap!

I have to make a test run. Visitors coming in over the holidays. I used to bring first-timers up to the WTC, and the ESB is a PITA.

I wonder if you can bring a small, unobtrusive tripod.