Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Fiterman Hall - 30 West Broadway - by Pei, Cobb, Freed

It's a whole corner in white

February 23, 2011

3 Questions for Stefan Thiersch, Fiterman Hall

Stefan Thiersch is the lead architect at Fiterman Hall

It stands like a keystone above the World Trade Center site, and now Fiterman Hall is on the verge of topping out -- marking the end phase of a decade-long recovery that began on 9/11. The new Fiterman replaces the 15-story Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) building that was damaged beyond repair by falling debris from 7 WTC. And though it took several years to complete plans and execute the buildings decontamination, the deconstruction took just six months.

Today, as is plain to see from all sides of its 30 West Broadway location, the buildings steel superstructure has filled out the block bordered by Barclay, Park Place, West Broadway, and Greenwich Street. Once completed, it will restore a vital component of the Lower Manhattan community. Its 54 classrooms, 160 offices, and 44 laboratories also will serve as much-needed space for the college and its approximately 22,500 degree-program students.

Stefan Thiersch, senior project manager for the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY), oversees Fiterman Hall construction. Working with building architecture firm Pei, Cobb, Freed & Partners, construction manager Hunter Roberts, and other project consultants, Thiersch is part of the team that will ensure the buildings function as a welcoming extension of the BMCC campus.

On a recent tour, he explained that the new 16-story structure improves upon its predecessor in several ways, such as open atriums that promote flow-through in the building, two bicycle storage rooms, public spaces at street level, and several green design features.

With about 18 months left to complete the faade and interiors, we asked Mr. Thiersch three questions about the work ahead, and the highlights of the new BMCC addition.

What are some upcoming milestones for Fiterman Hall construction?

Mr. Thiersch: They include steel topping off in March 2011, the start of exterior panels in March 2011, and the start of the curtain wall in spring 2011.

What special features will be part of the new Fiterman Hall?

The building features multi-story glass atriums with circular staircases, which open up the building to the community, and also provide space for student lounges. The top two floors of the building house a conference facility with a glass atrium facing south.

How will the new Fiterman Hall benefit BMCC overall?

The new facility will house more than 250 classrooms and computer labs, and faculty offices throughout the building, as well as a conference center,and an art gallery and caf on the ground floor. A portion of the lower level and floors two through four will be occupied primarily by general classroom space to alleviate the scarcity of such space at BMCCs main campus.The third floor will also include double-height ensemble and choral rooms with BMCCs music department. Floors five through 12 will be occupied by the classrooms and offices of various BMCC departments, including music and art, business management, accounting, computer information systems, and the Center for Ethnic Studies.

DB Beat me by a few weeks. Of all the nerve.

© 2011 tectonic
    on twitter @tectonicphoto

Eh, give or take the same to construct this as it did to deconstruct Deutsche Bank. Either way, we got the better end of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    DB Beat me by a few weeks. Of all the nerve.
    Try this one:

1 WTC vs 4 WTC.

They seem to be close right now.

Quite the challenge. Up until a few months ago, I would have said 1WTC. I don't think the spire will be on 1WTC before 4WTC is topped, and 4WTC COULD top first, although I'd like to take a little more time thinking through the math before I am 99% on that one.

Topped out?

Not the best, but an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Topped out?
    It looks like they're constructing the frame for some sort of penthouse on the roof, but officially, yeah.

To those of you who live in NYC and are regular photo updaters here (like lofter and zippy) could one of you possibly do something that I think would be kind of cool/interesting on your next photo shoot at the building? It's known that they "pushed" Greenwich Street about two or three lanes eastward when they rebuilt 7WTC. For years I've wondered how they were going to account for this shift when it comes to the stretch of Greenwich just to the north, and what I'm thinking is that Fiterman Hall also had to be rebuilt, that the footprint of the new building on the western side would have to be inwards (IE, to the east) so that the lanes could make the necessary angle shift along the block to the north.

So, could somebody get a shot where you're standing in the middle of Greenwich Street in the front of 7WTC looking north, up Greenwich, so we can see how the western side of Fiterman Hall aligns with the already existing new stretch of Greenwich outside 7WTC? Lofter's last pic in his most recent update comes close to what I'm talking about, but there's a lot of vehicles in the way so it's hard to tell exactly how the road is.

I checked my files but don't have anything that really shows that angle well. At the site there's still a sidewalk shed and lots of stuff that would obscure a clear view of the Fiterman property line. But Greenwich always had a bow in it, starting on that block at Park Place, where it angled towards the SE before it dead ended at the old 7WTC. Two or three traffic lanes would be ~ 12-20 feet. If that was done then it must be that width at the southernmost end of the block near Barclay, so it would line up with the new one block stretch of Greenwich to the east of the new 7 WTC.

Also, the old Fiterman had a cut-away at the NW corner at Greenwich / Park Place (if you have Google Earth you can still see photos of that corner), so the building pulled back from the sidewalk there for a good length along both Greenwich & Park Place. At about midblock along Greenwich the old building took a dog leg to the SE, lining up with the property line along Greenwich. The new Fiterman is built right to the sidewalk at that corner and looks to meet up with the edge of the building that sits along Greenwich on the block to the north.

But I will check it out when I get down that way again.

Quote Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
    It's known that they "pushed" Greenwich Street about two or three lanes eastward when they rebuilt 7WTC. For years I've wondered how they were going to account for this shift when it comes to the stretch of Greenwich just to the north, and what I'm thinking is that Fiterman Hall also had to be rebuilt, that the footprint of the new building on the western side would have to be inwards (IE, to the east) so that the lanes could make the necessary angle shift along the block to the north.
    Greenwich St really hasn't been shifted at all.

The eastern streetwall and curbline of Greenwich St has always been about the same as it is now. The Fiterman site is also the same; the difference is that the old building was squared up to West Broadway.

The western side of Greenwich St has been changed a few times. It was widened from Hubert to Chambers Sts to accommodate trucks backed into loading docks, when the area was still a produce center. The Independence Plaza North apartments and Citicorp building were built along this widened street. In the 1990s, the sidewalk was expanded by about 30 feet, narrowing Greenwich St.

The segment from Murray to Barclay was also widened, but there was no reason for this except to line up with the blocks north of Chambers St. Eventually, it will probably be narrowed. The two block stretch from Chambers to Murray was never widened.

The segment of Greenwich St in front of 7WTC is not a mapped city street. That, along with the plaza (original 7WTC trapezoid site), is Silverstein property. The plaza side of the street lines up with Greenwich St to the north, but 7WTC sticks out even beyond the narrow dimensions of 'old' Greenwich St, making the street little more than a driveway. My guess is that the only traffic there will be specific to 7WTC, and Greenwich St traffic will be forced to turn west on Barclay St.

Assuming normal traffic will be allowed on Greenwich St through the WTC site, it will feed from West Broadway. 7th Ave South- Varick St-West Broadway is really the main southbound route, not Greenwich St.

It appears that there are 2 holes, one in an upper floor and one in a lower floor. Does anyone know why?