Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Fiterman Hall - 30 West Broadway - by Pei, Cobb, Freed

Forum Veteran

Treated the same, will take about 8 months to bring down, it will be replaced by a new 360,000 sf school

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    I talked to a project manager on this job, demolition starts in Feb
    Seems like they missed that date ...

Sad.

Banned Member

Fiterman Hall is really coming along nicely. At the current rate of progress, this should be coming down at about the time the Memorial opens or, with further delay, about the time that hell freezes over.

Perhaps we should start a campaign to landmark / memorialize Fiterman --

"the wound that never heals"

And yet somehow Mayor Mike and Deputy Dan repeatedly get quoted in the papers at face value as wanting to "accelerate" the process at WTC site. How come nobody ever asks them how they can claim their intervention into the PA-Silverstein lease negotiations will accelerate anything, when they can't even accomplish the simple tasks already under their control?

I think construction and other financial matters for Fiterman Hall are under the control of the Dormitory Authority of New York State.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    I think construction and other financial matters for Fiterman Hall are under the control of the Dormitory Authority of New York State.
    OK, thanks. I thought the Mayor exercised some measure of control over CUNY. Back in the Giuliani years, I recall all these stories about Giuliani appointing Herman Badillo to run it, and Badillo's decision to end CUNY's "open admissions" policy. Maybe that was CCNY.

If nothing else, I hold the Mayor responsible for the forever-board up Pier A. I am SURE that is controlled by the City.

Mr. Bloomberg-TEAR DOWN THIS CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    If nothing else, I hold the Mayor responsible for the forever-board up Pier A. I am SURE that is controlled by the City.
    I hate to tell ya ...

Looks like it's the state (from May 2003: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...38&postcount=1
    The takeover of Pier A by the Battery Park City Authority moved one step closer to reality this week after Community Board 1 gave the idea unanimous support.

The partially-renovated Pier A has been mired for years in a legal battle between the developer of a $30 million renovation and the city over funding. While the decade-long battle waged on, the landmark 1880s building, located in a prime spot in Battery Park, sat empty.

A sale to the authority, a state-controlled agency, will help the city close its budget deficit.
    Or maybe the Feds (from May 2005: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...66&postcount=3 ) :
    Pier A in Battery Park may finally get a long awaited multi-million dollar restoration now that the city and the pier’s leaseholders are close to hammering out an agreement, bringing nearly two decades of wrangling to a close ...

Wings Point, which signed a lease for the property in 1989, plans to donate the space to the Park Service, according to James Pepper, superintendent of national parks in Manhattan. Without a signed and sealed agreement, however, Pepper, is wary of premature celebrations.

“We think it’s an exciting opportunity, and we’re looking at it very closely,” Pepper said. “But we haven’t actually signed any agreements at this stage.”

The BPCA deal fell through last year, and the National Park Service was being considered as a tenant for the space, but backed out of a verbal commitment to lease the Pier. The Pier is City-owned.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    I hate to tell ya ...

Looks like it's the state
    Nope. The state had nothing to do with it.

The developer lost investment backing. The city wanted to unload the property on BPCA who wanted to complete the connection to Battery Park. The city saw the potential in the property and backed out. They sued the developer, who counter-sued.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Geez, the Pier A saga is worse than "Bleak House"!

It's been boarded up for the '12 years I've lived in the 'hood (and. I'm told. for decades before that), even though it seems to sit on some of the most valuable real estate in the world.

Not just that, but it's a pretty nice building.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast