Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Fiterman Hall - 30 West Broadway - by Pei, Cobb, Freed

There is so much going on with this building. Between the weird angles, spindly columns, the brick panels, odd insets, the flush windows it's kind of a mess ...

What an absolute waste. I think it's safe to say that this building won't be any better-looking when complete.

Great pics, Lofter1!!

Marnegator, would you rather have that old uglybug dinosaur white building that once stood there before it was dismantled for THIS one to be built? I think not.

Forum Veteran

I guess Dq13 told you Marnegator.

I'm afraid to say anything.

^^ Indeed
    Daquan13, shouldn't the architecture of new construction stand on its own merits, regardless of what it replaces? And to be perfectly honest, considering how this building is turning out, yes, I think I would prefer the older Fiterman Hall, despite its homeliness. At least the old didn't draw attention to itself and being old(er) and unattached to tragedy, would probably have been naturally replaced sometime during our lives; this new one, unfortunately, will be around for far too long.
    Did I make a mistake in this endeavor?

The old building didn't look too bad before 09-11-01.

But like the DBB after the South Tower fell, Fiterman Hall was in the same boat when the previous 7 WTC fell. It's damage was beyond repair. But it is what it is. We're all just going to have to live with it.
    Last edited by Daquan13; July 8th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

While I'm not blown away by this building, it's no better or worse than the old one. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think we had a shot at a better newer building had the previous one not been destroyed in 9/11. The fact of the matter is that buildings, when taken care of, last about forever. This building doesn't have a ton more square footage or anything, so the other building would have been the junk around forever instead of this one.

Can't dwell in the past, buddy. But I know how you feel.

It's nice to reflect back to the time before the terrorists struck, but there was nothing that could be done once it happened.

We must look forward to the future, and hope that all of the planned buildings there are completed by 2016 or so.
    Last edited by Daquan13; July 8th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Wow, I haven't been to this thread in a month or two. I'm pleased with how fast they managed to get those brick-looking panels up. It looks nice but there are a few spots where you can really tell that they're not really bricks and are just panels (like the top left of the front of the building... but really in almost all of lofter's pics). Maybe there's something that will be done to minimize/eliminate that, but right now I think it's really noticable.

Marnegator, why is this a waste of space? What do you think SHOULD have been built in its place? Some super tall 70 story, architectually extravagant building like Beekman Tower? It's just a classroom building for some small community college in the area (if I remember correctly). It's not supposed to be architectually extravagent like Beekman Tower or 2WTC or something like that. I just wanted something decent looking to replace the eyesore of the old Fiterman Hall looming on the sidelines everytime I walked through the 7WTC park or watched kids play in the water fountain. This building is fine. If it were part of the WTC complex, I would want something taller and more extravagent, but it's not.

BTW, it must have taken them less than 2 months to install the "brick" panels. If they can install the glass at the same rate, then they should have more than enough time to install the glass panels all the way to the roof before the 10th anniversary of 9/11 (which is still a little over 2.5 months away). THAT would be something! I was last at the site on 9/11/09 (two years before 10th anniversary), when the old one was still standing. I remember thinking it would be great if they could just dismantle the old building before the 10th anniversary, but to have the new one nearly completed (at least visually) is very unexpected.

I didn't intend for "absolute waste" to express disappointment at the lack of something of Tower Verre's scale and quality, just to express disappointment at what is and will be for generations. If the basic design of the thing was always to look like its renderings it would be, at best, a mediocre building, but at least it wouldn't feel, I don't know, deliberately offensive?
    Hyperbole aside, it's the details that bother me: two-floor high flush windows gracelessly bounded by brick, obscene blank walls, and a structurally unimaginative and hideously clad column supporting the northeastern projection. The building's shape itself may not suit my fancy, but I could certainly live with it if the facade itself wasn't so rubbish.
    It's greatest crime, the reason why I wrote of it as "an absolute waste", is not just because I find it unattractive but because it has the power to draw attention to itself. Like several posters before, I like the idea of a dash of color in a sea of white and blue, but one shouldn't stand out when there's nothing to offer (especially when near the treasures of the Financial District, Civic Area, and Tribeca). At least the old one had the dignity of subdued character.

Go ahead. You were just speaking your mind.

HC, why do you hate this building so much?