Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The new Fiterman Hall - 30 West Broadway - by Pei, Cobb, Freed

If this were simply a background building, tucked away somewhere I could live with it. But given its place of prominence it is a waste of a good opportunity.

The most interesting part could be the NW corner at Greenwich & Park Place, where there is a cutaway with an entry below and a large spiral staircase inside up high -- but the glass there isn't fully installed and so I'll reserve judgment until construction is further along.

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    It wasn't bad looking before 09-11, even though I thought that the facade looked a little bit distasteful & boring.
    How often had you seen it? Ever in person?

I saw it frequently since it was about 10 years old. It was a neglected office building in the 1990s when it was donated to BMCC.

I've seen it several times in person.
    Last edited by infoshare; September 29th, 2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: off topic

This building is absolutely terrible. I think this might be even worse than the main BMCC campus in Tribeca which I hope to some day see torn down. The Hudson Yards vicinity would be a fitting place for BMCC to consolidate their buildings and replace with a tower. In exchange, a developer can take over their Tribeca campus so they can demolish it and replace it with something more fitting.

Live with it. Everyone else has to.

Several posts were deleted from this thread. The one above was unnecessary, except to start another argument. You should "live with" the fact that some people don't like the building. If you have nothing to say about the building, don't respond.

I HAVE accepted that fact.

And you're right, the building is not very well liked by some. They DO have the right not to like it if they choose not to.
    Last edited by Daquan13; September 30th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

I think the general quality of the OTHER buildings built by schools in Manhattan is hurting our perceptions of this building.

For example, this building cannot compete with:

Cooper Union by smilerwithaknife, on Flickr

Or (I think):

Columbia University Interdisciplinary Science Study Tower, Morningside Heights, New York City by jag9889, on Flickr

Or the soon to be U/C:

makirender by curbed, on Flickr

Or slightly further afield (forgive me for leaving NYC):

New dorm construction in the distance. by ardekantur, on Flickr

Even so, I think this building compares perfectly favorably to OTHER university fare around the city like...
    The now U/C:

http://newyorkrealestate.citybizlist.com/item_upload/Pace Rendering.JPG

The recently built:

Diana Center by ChrPax, on Flickr

Diana Center- east side by ChrPax, on Flickr

and the now finished:

201004_JohnJaySOM_03 by curbed, on Flickr

So in closing, I think this building is of middling quality for universities in the city. While I would love great architecture, the money has to come from somewhere, and the purpose of the school isn't really to fill the city with incredible buildings.

I don't think too many people here expected this building to be at the level of a Cooper Union, especially as initial (indistinct) renderings came out.

Even when the first facade panels started going up, there was some optimism that it would be a respectable, ordinary building.

It went downhill from there.

I was familiar with the environment in which the original building existed. It was hidden behind the bulk of 7WTC, which extended to West Broadway. A desolate area. Now it's out in the open, fronted by a plaza that's become popular. It will, if not in fact, by association be part of the WTC site. I can see it from Greenwich and Liberty Sts.

The building was insured. With all the money that's been thrown around at the WTC site, it wouldn't have taken much to make this a decent building. No one was expecting an award winner.

I think it depends more than somewhat on whether the performing arts center is built on not, no? I would think that going up would isolate this building more than it is now. I think much of the "openness" around this building is a result of the temporary path site and significant plaza that goes with it while Vesey street is closed.

I would think that the color of the brick makes it stand out quite a bit, and its position along Greenwich certainly doesn't give me any hope that it'll be any less prominent that it already is, PAC or no.

You mean the brick colored brick? It's certainly different for the immediate area. It will dull over time though. Once this is done and everything has settled and there are some trees around it, this building will be every bit as innocuous as everything else around it. 100 church sucks across the street and we never talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    How often had you seen it? Ever in person?

I saw it frequently since it was about 10 years old. It was a neglected office building in the 1990s when it was donated to BMCC.
    Agreed. The original Fiterman Hall was dull and miserable. The new structure may look a bit cheap, especially when compared to the WTC across the street, but at least it addresses public space (like the plaza in front of 7WTC) in an interesting way and it provides nice contrast to the glass and steel of the WTC. IMO, overall it's still an improvement, though not by much. Having seen - and briefly worked - on preliminary studies that assessed the possibility of a 500 to 700 ft tower on top of the campus building, I'm a bit disappointed at the outcome, but then again, given all the nearby construction, I really don't have anything to complain about. Besides, the scale and look of the building makes it a nice transition from the Financial District into Tribeca.

Coming along. Some of the photos are a little to the yellow. Sunrise was tough on the camera this morning.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

It kills me that the workmanship on the panel installation was so awful. A little more care and skill would've made a huge difference, but now we all have to suffer the punishment of looking at this hatchet job on a daily basis.