Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cloisters

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I can't help but think there's something very San Franciscan about it.
    Secluded and lonely, like Hitchcock's San Francisco in Vertigo.
    Old religious structure, like Mission San Francisco or Mission San Juan Bautisto (with cloister, also featured in Vertigo).
    Approached through beautiful but slightly out-of-the-way park, like Golden Gate Park.
    Dramatic scenery and lengthy vistas, as everywhere in San Francisco and the Coast.
    Reminds me of Hearst Castle: extravagantly accumulated treasures.
    New York's most romantic place. Air of spirituality. And a touch of doom?

Get professional help immediately. You're starting to think like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Get professional help immediately. You're starting to think like me.
    Either that or...you know what they say about great minds...

Am I right in thinking that Clint Eastwood starred in "Coogans Bluff" which had a lot of scenes shot in the Cloisters.

There are beautiful shots of the Cloisters on OTI today:

http://ontheinside.info/?p=70#features

click on the preview photo and go to images.

Quote Originally Posted by tonton View Post
    There are beautiful shots of the Cloisters on OTI today:

http://ontheinside.info/?p=70#features

click on the preview photo and go to images.
    You could make the case that this is the most beautiful single place in New York City.

New York Send-Off | The Unicorn Next Door

By JAN BENZEL

Medieval treasures are to be found around every corner at the Cloisters,
    thanks to the ingenuity and bank accounts of some enterprising Americans.

Go for the unicorn, but be sure to give yourself plenty of time to poke around and see the many marvels of the Cloisters, that medieval chapel on the hill built and stocked at the turn of the 20th century by some enterprising Americans with a passion for art and plenty of money. I won’t go into the history of the Cloisters here; you can read all about it on its Web site, or in a handsome book published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Cloisters is a branch of the Met) and Yale University Press. And I won’t describe the actual cloisters, the walkways that would have been in the center of a monastery, open to the sky, letting nature in, but private, protected from the hubbub of the world. Go. See them for yourself.

I’d been to the Cloisters to see the famous unicorn tapestries once, several years ago, when as a Mother’s Day offering, my family let me choose the plan for the day. We went, loved the unicorns and the cloister gardens, but our girls were small then, so I didn’t linger. And so many readers suggested the Cloisters as an unmissable New York experience that I decided I had to go back.

For me, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a quick walk across Central Park. To get to the Cloisters, I took the A Train. My companions on this adventure were the ones with the quick walks. Marcus Yam, a photographer who has been an intern at The Times this summer and who has been shooting photographs for Send-Off posts, and his wife, Jenny, popped over, and my friend Holland Cotter, an art critic for The Times who dwells in the Cloisters every chance he gets, strolled down from Inwood.

Marcus is from Malaysia, Jenny from a small village in China, Holland from Boston. The treasures in the Cloisters are from all over Europe: France, Spain, Germany, Austria. Large fragments of medieval cloisters were installed on the hilltop, and inspired the design of the current structure. (Charles Collens, who designed Riverside Church, another unmissable New York sight, was the architect.)

We wandered from one intricately sculptured marvel, or beautifully painted Madonna, or fabulously arched chapel, or illuminated manuscript, or reliquary, to the next. “Look at this!” we each kept enthusing as we came upon yet another surprise, tiny or giant. There was plenty of Islamic imagery side by side with Christian symbology. “Wow,” Holland said, upon examining a 10th-century pyx, with birds, lions and gazelles. “This is the real Islamic McCoy.” (Let’s pause here for a commercial: Read Holland’s own eloquent tour of the Cloisters.)

Holland and Marcus put their heads together over some 9th- and 10th-century treasures from Spain, deciphering the stew of religious symbols they bore.

“Spain! Now that was truly a melting pot,” Holland said. There were Muslims, Christians, Jews, all living side by side.”

Likewise, it’s the mix of artifacts that makes the Cloisters special, he said. “In French museums, you get French art. In Spain, Spanish art. Here, you get this thing that’s so American, really, putting all these things together.”

Jenny moved to New York when she was 7; Marcus, who is 22, has just moved here, to be with her. He, like my young French friend Diane, is seeing the city for the first time.

He’s seen quite a bit of it already on assignments and through the lens of his camera.
    What do you like best about New York so far? I asked him after Holland had peeled off to go home, and Marcus and Jenny and I were strolling in the growing dusk through gardens along the Hudson.

“I like everything,” he said. “ I like it that the whole world is here.”

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...r/#more-215679

Cloistered Upbringing

Corporate headquarters threatens Palisades views.

by Nicole Anderson

HOK's design for LG Electronics USA. Courtesy HOK and Neoscape

The Cloisters museum and gardens, the Metropolitan Museum’s outpost for Medieval architecture and art in northern Manhattan, faces the tree-lined cliffs of the Palisades across the Hudson River in New Jersey. The view is picturesque, uninterrupted by the built environment. But soon, a 143-foot-high office complex designed by HOK could rise above the treetops—a change that some say will spoil the idyllic natural view.

LG Electronics USA’s plan to build an eight-story headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, has sparked protests from environmental and local advocacy groups, the Met, and Larry Rockefeller—whose grandfather donated four acres of land for the museum and park in New York and also purchased 700 acres along the cliffs on the other side of the river to keep the view unmarred.

“We were troubled by a project that would disregard 100 years of historic preservation of the Palisades,” said Mark Izeman, Director of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
    LG vice president John Taylor said that the headquarters is set a quarter mile back from the Palisades and “isn’t a tower,” but rather a “horizontal 8-story office building, which has gone through a very open and transparent [approval] process.”

Proponent (left) and opponent (right) renderings of how the project would look.
    Courtesy HOK & Neoscape / Courtesy Protect the Palisades

More than a year ago, Englewood Cliffs Board of Adjustment granted LG a variance to exceed the 35-foot height limit in the area, a move later challenged in court. The property was subsequently rezoned to again allow for additional height, and then later approved for development by the New Jersey State Department of Transportation and Department of Environmental Protection last fall. Headquartered in Englewood for the last 25 years, LG is a major taxpayer in Bergen County. Taylor anticipates that this new headquarters will bring a significant investment to the region and allow LG to more than double it employees by 2016.

“We are listening to their concerns and looking at a variety of options,” said Taylor. “They make it sound easy to make the building shorter. It is not that easy. We’re not ruling anything out at this point. To make modifications to the design would mean extending the time table for a redesign and more importantly and more risky is restarting the approval process.”

Several groups and individuals are taking action to prevent the new development from blemishing their much-loved views. The Met wrote a letter to LG requesting that they “reconsider the design.” Rockefeller, a trustee of the NRDC, spoke with LG officials to explain the significance of the landscape. Two Englewood residents along with several environmental groups—including Scenic Hudson, the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference, and the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs—filed lawsuits against the variance and rezoning. The two opposing parties, however, have agreed to meet with a neutral mediator in the next month.

“If the case can be settled, then that is an ideal solution,” said Hayley Carlock, the environmental advocacy attorney for Scenic Hudson.

LG has publically stood behind its plans. The company published a full-page advertisement, entitled “Englewood Cliffs is our Home,” in the Sunday edition of The Record in early February stating that their 493,000-square-foot headquarters, costing $300 million, will yield hundreds of construction jobs and lead to an expanded workforce and tax dollars for Bergen County.

“Some have suggested a false choice between jobs and the environment when LG can build a new headquarters and expand its number of employees at this location through a low-rise design,” said Izeman. “No one is suggesting they relocate somewhere else.”

Still, LG hopes to begin construction on the new campus this year once the lawsuits are sorted out, with construction wrapping up in 2016.

http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6582

Doesn't seem like the best move for a high-tech company to locate itself in a car-oriented office park.

They should anchor a new tower in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Doesn't seem like the best move for a high-tech company to locate itself in a car-oriented office park.
    It's what high tech companies have historically done at the epicenter, Santa Clara County, CA, and the county seat in San Jose.

A just released report by the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR), Shaping Downtown San Jose.

I'm surprised they would be so stubborn to push forward with this. Unless they have a really strong + compelling reason (they own the land, the land is super space-constrained, so building 8 floors is necessary, etc.), you would normally expect a consumer-oriented company building its own regional HQ to be very sensitive to bad publicity. I would have assumed they'd have backed down given the hubbub - doesn't seem like a good PR move by LG here. And while I'm no NIMBY, with something as special as the Cloisters + Palisades view, this certainly turns me off to them - given the choice of similar LG or competitors' products, I'd definitely buy the competitor's products now.

Stroika said: "I'm surprised they would be so stubborn to push forward with this. Unless they have a really strong + compelling reason...."

Also, this issue is not at all about about 'good architectural design' - but what seems to me nothing more than a crafty/calculating end run around what was to be a 'preserved scenic' view of the palisades - one I often enjoy while walking the northwest cliff trails of upper Manhattan.

Talk about 'barbarians at the gate' - the imagery of that building rising at the edge of the 'preserved' forest cliffs of the Palisades is the perfect imagery of our current place/time.

Think of the 'enlightened' approach to 'development' that was taken when those cliffs were set aside simply for the beauty and 'quality of life' the provided : commerce, back then a least, showed some restraint.

The calculous of greed is the "strong + compelling" reason to "push forward" on this project, or any project: just make 'the numbers' , do the math, as the saying goes.

Today, the 'qualitative' concerns of humanity are no match for the 'quantitative' interests of todays high tech industries.

Actually, the 'barbarians' are not at-the-gate: they have torn it down.
    Last edited by infoshare; April 7th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

If LG has enough cash, they should not only push it, but do it right.

Regulations like what they have on Rt 1 in California should be applied here. Fusion with the surroundings, not redefinition of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12