Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Washington Square Area Development

Forum Veteran

Amen to that. Kimmel does have a nice dining hall, but they don't accept meal plans.

As for Bobst, one of the guys on my floor was roomates with the second jumper during orientation. So it definitely hit him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    As for Bobst, one of the guys on my floor was roomates with the second jumper during orientation. So it definitely hit him hard.
    Years ago, we were aware of the ostensible purpose of the Bobst atrium floor design, but recent events at NYU have greatly saddened me and other alums.

Forum Veteran

Unfortunately, now they are in the process of enclosing the atrium walkways in Plexiglas.

I like the base, its nice and glassy;

Forum Veteran

There's a grand staircase that leads up to the second floor, which has a lounge for commuters and computer terminals. You get into the rest of the building by swiping your ID card at the turnstiles, which are very similar to the ones on the London Underground. There's a dining hall on the third floor which is widely considered the best one on "campus," but it doesn't offer meal plans. There's an auditorium on the fourth floor, not to mention a much larger one for performing-arts venues in the basement, which is accessible through its own entrance on LaGuardia Place (West Broadway). Much of the rest of the building is occupied by meeting space for clubs, screening rooms, student affairs offices, etc.

It's much nicer-looking than Loeb, and was designed by Roche & Dinkeloo.

It's nicer looking than Loeb in terms of materials and fit-and-finish, but the design is an absolute atrocity. There isn't one angle to look at it that doesn't hurt. Someone -- either the architects, the contracters, or the patrons -- should be arrested for vandalism.

Oh man... stomach churning, I can't believe that NYU got permits to build that monstrosity. I grew up at 1 University Place, that 22 story building on the corner of University and Waverly and that park was my playground.

We moved in just as the Bobst Library was nearing completion circa 1971, the shell was up but the interior was still under construction. I thought it was a horrible bloody looking box then and still do.
    NYU has done more to destroy the character and charm of Greenwich Village and especially Washington Square Park than any other entity I can think of.

After seeing these photos it makes me glad I'm no longer there to see this in person, those buildings are totally out of place and I read that I think even udson church was possibly going to be demolished or altered but they tore down the parish hall to build there?

Nothing is sacred from NYU's land grabbing demolition machine. They even tore down the building Edgar A Poe lived in which my cousins and his family once owned and operated the well known long time Bertolotti's Italian Restaurant on the ground floor of.

Did the Loeb Student Center get demolished to build this new building?

I have a photo I took in 1977 from almost exactly that same spot looking towards the arch, I'll upload it.

For this post here is a view from 1940 from 1 Fifth Avenue;

And this is where the Bobst Library is now, 1925 view, only the building on the left remains.

You can find the building with the pointed gabled facade in both photos as a visual landmark, it appears in the extreme left on the 1940 view.

And in this 1936 view you can see Judson Church in the distance and also the vacant lot across the street (towards the camera) in this view as well as in the 1940 view. So it looks like that Coca Cola sign/restaurant in that corner building was replaced or altered by 1940

1974 view looking down from the roof of 1 University Place looking West towards South.

I did what Photoshop could do on the original but the day the photo was made it was hazy, the print was in a flood and it is after all 30 years old instamatic...

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5

Seoncd jumper? what all happpened with that??

Forum Veteran

The second jumper was a few weeks after the first. There's a lot of speculation as to why he jumped because he seemed happy (that's a bit of a cliché right there); some people say that he was high on something or other, which is something I don't want to believe. His former roomate, who is on my floor, is quoted in both the Daily News and the Post, though the Post misquoted him and spelled his name wrong.

In response to your other post, I definitely know One University Place. It's the beautiful old building across Waverly—I think—from the Silver Center, NYU's main building. I'm kinda familiar with your photo of the site of Bobst in 1925; I've seen it in a window on a building on University Place. The building on the far left that still exists is a dormitory (either Goddard or Hayden, I forget which), and there's a Starbuck's on the ground floor that used to be the Violet Café.

The tall loft building in the photograph also still exists. It is called Shimkin Hall, and is across Schwartz Plaza from Bobst. It houses NYU's Information Center, as well as classroom and office space for the Stern School of Business and the General Studies Program.

Where's my buddy NYatKnight!

I found a VERY old stereo view card of Washington Sq park, according to what I was able to find out about the publisher it dates to the 1860's or earlier and was made by P.F. Weil, New York.

I did a composite using a modern view of NYatKnight's of the park's NE corner in comparison with the stereoview.

Trying to figure out exactly where the view was made which is difficult since the field of view is small and mostly a lot of trees. I was however able to enlarge a scan of it and believe the view is in the NE portion of the park looking North towards the row of 3 story buildings which do show up better behind the trees in a greatly enlarged scan.
    Only thing is, a 1936 photo I posted here from the SE looking towards Judson Church shows similar 3 story buildings on the SE side of the park very similar to those on the North.

Here is a composite of a modern view (left) de-colorized shown with part of the stereoview on the right.
    Interesting gazebo's, there are two of them in the original view.

One can just make out shutters by the windows on the ground floor and a stoop or two.

Default Washington Square

I find this segment very interesting. In the late 1930s my father had a Northern Italian restaurant on the site of the present NYU Law School. My parents lived nearby on Sullivan Street. I agree that NYU builds building that are out of character and not sensitive to the area.

You're right lostnyc, it's a view of the row of houses lining the north side of the park, east of 5th Avenue. Neat photo, though none of those structures look familiar. Any more old photos?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast