Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default One of my pet peeves

Excuse me for a moment. Although prompted by the last post, this is not a direct response to that post, neither an echo nor a disagreement in particular, just that it touches on one of my pet peeves bound to come out here, and probably later in a different form. So why not start with Burj Dubai - soon to be the next tallest in the world?

Unoccupied height, aka spire height or 'false' height, should be pointed out anywhere and everywhere: London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Chicago, NYC, Dubai, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg, Sydney, Tokyo, or in any other location outside the city, or on any continent, or any island, in or out of the water, sitting on a hill, whatever! If it takes two measures to satisfy all parties - and this statistic is usually available - the two measures should be cited together, with the occupied height given first (in both metres and feet, not just storey count). I am not alone on this but it is a pet peeve because of the way the figures are given for bragging rites, it encourages bad tendencies in design.

When that lattest transition was made from occupied space to any space other than antennae(s) for official height, by a group that does that as one of its functions and is now located in Chicago of all places (known to have few spires in its tallest buildings over the past several decades), I thought it was "fishey" then, and it is clear that it is now. The motivation was to "acknowledge," supposedly, but the effect was to unnecessarily encourage, in order to juice up the height. Get the height up and you become instantly world-class, or you are kept in the conversation. That is how simply it goes before great monies are plowed into creating these gigantic structures which I still love, but there is a nagging concern that I cannot rid.

If the spire is an artistic extention of a building - so be it! If the spire will make the building taller and does not add anything else of merit - why reward this. In fact, why reward the first one as well, isn't it rewarding in itself because it makes the building memorable and complete. Regardless of why a spire is placed on the structure, it should be secondary to measure it, otherwise, why not count those antennaes, it makes a building taller too. But if you don't want antennaes, the spires are in a middle ground - part of the structure, but also, potentially, apart from that building in that people are not in it.

Let's go back to that cute little story about the spire on the Chrysler Building, as we all know it was hidden and hoisted at the last moment for what turned out to be a short-term claim to be the tallest. At least they acknowledged it, we are lucky that it does not mar the look of one of the most artistically accomplished buildings of its era. Today you'll get a more polished interpolation - "... we will have the tallest (INSERT) but that wasn't our only or even main intent, just a byproduct" (an actual quote, city/structure/individual withheld).

As a person that hopes that height will encourage mankind to design more intriguing engineering solutions, the spire should be of no concern. But it has become a concern, nevertheless. I shall acknowledge it wherever it applies.

a nice shot looking up ..

Oh la la, such a big'un. There was a segment on 'Very Big Things' on Discovery or National Geo or History or Science or whatever channel in the last few days, and the dude went to the top of the Burj -- views were insane (obviously). Showed off some more detailed stuff than you usually see, so watch it if you enjoy the Burj.

As always, thanks BurjDubaiSkyscraper.com! Few notes from them, then pics...
    • 2007.aug.12
    Burj Dubai has set another record by overtaking the height of Sears Tower's antenna, which stands at 527.3m. The tallest skyscraper that erects in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is now 531.3m tall and has 145 storeys! The 7432 sq meter foundation slab and 50-metre deep piling...

Quote Originally Posted by ld876 View Post
    Wow. Only just now have I sat back in my chair and said 'holy crap'. It is massive!! Just.. massive!

Hard to judge size without context for these supertalls, but especially this one.

Most of the live photographs we are getting of late, while demonstrating progress, are where they can be made, out in isolation near the hoarding area. Would be nice if someone could use a telephoto from higher up in another building, but there may be no building that can offer great sitelines.
    Last edited by Zephyr; August 18th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.

more construction of/on the upper floors

surrounding construction near the BD

construction of BD from a nearby business

Dubai skyscraper is now taller than Toronto’s CN Tower at 555 metres
    By The Canadian Press
    Thursday, September 13, 2007

TORONTO (CP) - The world’s tallest building being constructed in Dubai has surpassed the height of the CN Tower, the world’s tallest free-standing structure, its developers said Thursday.

At 555 metres, Burj Dubai is now two metres taller than the 553-metre CN Tower, Emaar Properties said in a release.

It also has scaled 150 livable levels, the largest number of storeys for any building in the world.

Burj Dubai had already beaten Taipei 101, which at 508 metres has been holding the tallest-building title since it opened in 2004.

"Burj Dubai is setting new world records in construction of super tall buildings, and the accomplishment of being the world’s tallest free-standing structure is another defining moment," said Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar.

The project was launched in 2004 as part of a $20-billion, 200-hectare downtown development billed as the most prestigious square kilometre on earth.

The tower’s planned height is a closely guarded secret.

But the company says when completed in 2009, Burj Dubai will the tallest structure in the world in all four of the criteria listed by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

Designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Chicago, the tower is being built by Samsung Corp. of South Korea.

In addition to residential, commercial and retail components, Burj Dubai will also feature the world’s first Armani Hotel.

Dubai is the commercial capital of the United Arab Emirates.

The scale of the Burj finally hits home for me in this photo... BREATHTAKING!

All you need is some flying cars and you'll have the Jetsons. Absolutely massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik View Post

The scale of the Burj finally hits home for me in this photo... BREATHTAKING!
    And it's still growing taller!... kind of makes you jealous

Achilles rejoice, we have a new dictionary reference for "hubris".

Default Simply Amazing

Wow, what a stupid tall, I mean super tall building. I could only imagine what it must be like to be the construction worker that operates the crane towering above the top floor!

Architectural Padawan

Has anyone ever mentioned how long the elevator ride to the top of the building will be? 3 minutes? 4 minutes? Can you imagine the ear popping that will happen if it's 1 long continuous ride?