Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    That doesnt save Dubai, Abu Dhabi's oil doesnt equal money for Dubai. Dubai would have to borrow money from Abu Dhabi.
    erm, do you really think the Emiratis would let their only major city rot? Imagine if NY State discovered vast oil reserves. Would it let NYC go the way of Detroit should that scenario arise?

When does this end.

Thats not how the UAE works so your comparison isnt relevant.

... I love this building: it is high, high, high, ... very high. In Spain, people would say, "is bigger than the car of a bullfighter, but it's more dirty that dog of a gypsy."

... The question then is: we have already built, ... perfect and now, how much money we will pay for the maintenance? . Environmental conditions and weather in this desert area are very extreme of heat and sand storms.

... I think that architecture should be adapted to the needs of man and not the man to the needs of architecture ... unless we want it to show our economic power ... as if we were a bullfighter who wins a lot of money but he can not read or write. If we look at the last pictures carefully looks perfectly that the whole structure and glass curtain walls are filled with sand,... what system they will use to keep it clean?,... and if they do so manually by operators,.. how many people they need to do so ?. Sometimes the architecture is the worst kind of foolishness, ... but I love the building: it is high, high, high, ... very high...

... Vivan the crazy architects !!!,... and ... Vivan the bullfighters !!!

^Are you from the bullfighters union?

Currently at ~800M (~2625ft) and still rising.

So delightfully sinister

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    ^Are you from the bullfighters union?
    ... I'm not a member of Bullfighter Union. The bullfighters are artists and I'm an engineer, or a poor technical assistance to build useful things for people, you know ...

That tower will be a beacon to lightning strikes.

Can someone photoshop a giant burning eye on top of that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Thats not how the UAE works so your comparison isnt relevant.
    I don't know that much about their system of government, or the way their economy i structured, but it seems like their society is more like ancient Greece than New York State. Their municipalities seem to be more in competition with each other than part of a cohesive system. The other city states in the region would love to see Dubai topple over the next few years. Cities that haven't gone into the kind of monumental debt that Dubai has such as Abu Dhabi, Doha (Qatar), etc. seem to be better fit to weather the economic slowdown.

I don't know who can keep this going. Not even oil is a sure thing considering the winds are blowing towards Nuclear Power, electric cars and renewables. All those rich people are selling off their estates now too. Not looking good.

OK, lets get this clear, what are you guys saying the Emirati gov. will do with Dubai when its oil runs out or when it faces some kind of financial ruin?

I couldnt comment on that. All I know is that the UAE is not a US style government structure. There is no 'federal' government as far as my understanding is. The Emirates each are very seperate. They dont share any revenue in that sense. I would have to research more to find out exactly how their government is structured but that is how I understand it.

at the end of the day we can't say what will happen without it happening. But I do think it would be more than a little conceivable that the nation's vast oil and gas wealth will prop up the country's only city?

From Wiki:

Administratively, the UAE is a federation of seven emirates, each with its own ruler. The pace of local government reform in each emirate is set primarily by the ruler. Under the provisional constitution of 1971, each emirate reserves considerable powers, including control over mineral rights (notably oil) and revenues.

^yes, but the question is would that still stand in the country's worst economic crisis should it arise?