Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Hope they didn't fill the tower with the Chinese drywall that causes electrical wiring to corrode

Electrical problems are at least partly to blame for the closure of the Burj Khalifa's viewing platform —
    This link is not specifically about anything in Dubai, but the situation could make one wonder:

Link found between Chinese drywall, corrosion

... a "strong association" between problematic imported Chinese drywall and corrosion of pipes and wires ...

Think they cut corners on both materials and labor?

There were some big, experienced construction firms involved... it's a big big building that probably had a rushed opening, its not hard to imagine that it'll take a few months to sort out teething problems.

No doubt each and every contractor on that job was completely honorable.

Besides, if one were able to get materials from a reputable broker at 1/10th the cost then why would one question the quality of the goods? Things are just naturally cheaper in emerging markets.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    No doubt each and every contractor on that job was completely honorable.

Besides, if one were able to get materials from a reputable broker at 1/10th the cost then why would one question the quality of the goods? Things are just naturally cheaper in emerging markets.
    I doubt the first part - after all, they made this modern day tower of babel with practically slave labor.

I just think that as a "luxury" tower, they may not have cut that many corners on the materials side (they value the stuff more than the people).

FYI - its now being reported that it was an elevator failure - one that caused a loud bang and a cloud of dust in the shaft - that caused the shut down.

Here is some info on the immensely scaled electrical system of the Burj (as of 2006).

^Regarding the elevator failure, my neighbor is an Otis guy who knows quite a bit about the Burj elevator system, having toured it during construction. I'll see what I can find out...

Dubai tower shut after visitors stuck in elevator

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Visitors on the observation deck of the world's tallest tower heard what sounded like a small explosion, then saw dust that looked like smoke seeping through a crack in an elevator door 124 floors above the ground. The 15 people inside were trapped for 45 frightening minutes until rescuers managed to pry open the doors.

Because the elevator was apparently stuck between floors, rescuers had to drop a ladder into the shaft so those inside could crawl out. On the observation deck, about 60 more people were stranded and some began to panic.

Shortly after the drama unfolded on Saturday evening, the half-mile-high tower that was supposed to be one of Dubai's proudest achievements shut down to the public one month after its grandiose opening. It was the latest embarrassment for the once-booming Gulf city-state that is now mired in a deep financial crisis.

Witnesses who were on the 124th floor observation deck at the time and a Dubai rescue official recounted on Tuesday the chain of events that led up to the shutdown in interviews with The Associated Press.

Emaar Properties, the state-linked company that owns Burj Khalifa, has said little about the incident and nothing at all about an elevator malfunction. It had no comment on Tuesday. It remains unclear what caused the elevator to the observation deck — the only part of the building that was open — to fail.

Michael Timms, 31, an American telecommunications engineer who lives in Dubai, was on the observation deck with his cousin Michele Moscato when the ordeal began.

"It almost sounded like a small explosion. It was a really loud bang," Timms said.

About 45 minutes later, rescue crews arrived and pried open the elevator door, he added. The faulty elevator was caught between floors, so rescuers hoisted a ladder into the shaft to help those trapped inside crawl out.

Abu Naseer, a spokesman for Dubai's civil defense department, confirmed the incident. He said the call for help came in around 6:20 p.m. Saturday evening.

Emergency crews used another elevator to reach the observation deck and were able to rescue all 15 people stuck in elevator unharmed, he said.

Emaar, which owns the 2,717-foot (828-meter) building, has not responded to specific questions about the incident or made anyone available to speak despite repeated requests by the AP.

Local newspapers reported the shutdown of Burj Khalifa on Monday but it is still not clear exactly when the building was closed.

The company issued a brief statement Monday saying the viewing platform was temporarily shut for "maintenance and upgrade" because of "unexpected high traffic." It also hinted at electrical problems, saying "technical issues with the power supply are being worked on by the main and subcontractors."

Emaar has made no mention of problems with the elevators, angering some of those involved in the incident.

"What just kind of shocks me is that they were going to brush this under the rug to save face. If it broke, at least tell people it broke," Timms said.

Witnesses say the company provided little information to visitors stuck on the 124th floor observation deck as rescue crews worked. That lack of information caused panic among some visitors.

"I was really starting to get upset, getting really nervous," said Moscato, 29, a nurse visiting from Columbia, South Carolina. "I started crying."

She said she and Timms — along with other visitors, some in raised voices — asked to use the stairs because they felt uncomfortable taking the elevator back down, but were told that was not allowed.

All of those trapped in the elevator and on the deck were eventually taken down in a freight elevator not normally used by the public, they said.

Moscato said one of those trapped in the elevator told her later that the lights went off and the car began to fall before the brakes kicked in. It was not possible to independently verify the account.

The $1.5 billion Burj Khalifa opened with a lavish fireworks display and other celebrations on Jan. 4 after being beset by a series of delays.

Only the observation deck was being used for now as work continues on the rest of the building's interior. The first tenants were supposed to move in this month.

The tower more than 160 stories, though the exact number is not known.

The tapering, silvery tower ranks not only as the highest building but also as the tallest freestanding structure in the world.

The observation deck, which is mostly enclosed but includes an outdoor terrace bordered by guard rails, is located about two-thirds of the way up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...#ixzz0f7scSUZu

As an engineering feat the Burj Dubai is amazing. And to the eye, looking up as it narrows toward it's spire is a bit fascinating. But I still prefer tall buildings in a dense urban core...Manhattan, Hong Kong, Chicago etc....with the history, the grit, the crowds and that unmistakable urban feel. Dubai may be there one day...maybe in 50-75 years. But it's got a long way to go. Great cities aren't built in a desert in 30 years.
    http://dubaithoughts.blogspot.com/20...ys-part-1.html

NYC, however COULD take some tips from Burj Dubai on building skyscrapers with a WOW factor.
    Last edited by Radiohead; February 23rd, 2010 at 12:00 AM.

I disagree with most of your post. I agree with this:

I still prefer tall buildings in a dense urban core...Manhattan, Hong Kong, Chicago etc....with the history, the grit, the crowds and that unmistakable urban feel.
    However, Dubai will never have that. It already has a complete anti-urban fabric. Nevermind the fact that you can't actually go outside and walk around. I also disagree that NYC should take lessons on skyscraper design from Dubai. It is, apart from one or two buildings, filled with cheap, nasty and ugly towers.

I can't imagine, regardless of his previously stated aversion to pills, that he wasn't on something looking all zenned out sitting on top of this thing. I start shaking on the 7th rung of a ladder. My first thought was holy s***! My next was, let's see you jump up & down on this chair!

Sitting on top of the world! Is that Tom Cruise performing a death-defying stunt on the planet's highest skyscraper?

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:50 PM on 20th November 2010

He's well-known for doing all his own stunts, no matter how dangerous they are.
    But action hero Tom Cruise may have gone to new heights both literally and figuratively yesterday during a scene for Mission Impossible IV in Dubai.
    A figure was clearly perched on top of the Burj Khalifa skyscraper in Dubai, which stands at 2,717 feet - and judging by his adrenaline junkie behaviour, it's very likely to be Cruise.

Mission insane: Tom Cruise sits on the top of the highest tower in the world in Dubai as he filmed Mission Impossible IV in Dubai yesterday

Cool as a cucumber: Cruise performs another hair-raising stunt perched barefoot at the very top of the Burj Khalifa

The last action hero: The Hollywood movie star is filming at the Burj Khalifa, which stands 2,717 feet tall

Reprising his Ethan Hunt superspy role, just a few days ago Cruise was running around the windows below the tower's Observation Deck, 124 floors above the ground during a chase scene.

More...

At a press conference last week, Cruise informed attendees that he would be 'spending many days [and] many hours on the side of this building. I can't give details, but I will be up there.'
    The actor's spokeswoman says: 'Tom has been preparing for the stunt for some time. He believes if he performs the stunts himself, the audience believes more in his character.'

Stuntman: Tom does his own stunts, no matter how dangerous they are

Cruise apparently relived his Days of Thunder glory recently on a night out.
    The actor took 75 of his Mission Impossible crew and castmates, including British actor Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner, out go-karting at the Dubai Kartdrome.
    And he even used his character's name from the 1990 race car film.
    A source says: 'Cruise used the name Cole Trickle, his character from Days as his moniker during the outing.'
    Generous Cruise also treated the whole group to burgers and fries.

High times: A view of the Burj Khalifa showing where Tom Cruise is performing his hair-raising stunt on in Dubai

Meanwhile wife Katie Holmes is home in the U.S. with daughter Suri, filming new movie Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler.

The film tells the story of Jack who is forced to deal with his twin sister, Jill, when she visits for Thanksgiving, but then won't leave.
    Katie plays Jack's wife in the movie, which also stars Al Pacino and Christie Brinkley.
    She has also been filming a television movie about former American president John F. Kennedy and his wife Jackie alongside Greg Kinnear.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz16474KBTd

Gizmodo
    January 2, 2012

World’s Tallest Building Shows Off World’s Awesomest Fireworks Display

BY ANDREW LISZEWSKI

Video

As if being the tallest building in the world isn't already impressive enough, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai put on one of the most amazing fireworks displays I've ever seen to ring in the new year.

Instead of just surrounding the building with giant colorful explosions, the Burj Khalifa itself was turned into a 2,723 foot tall launch pad. And it packed enough firepower for a five and a half minute display of pure eye candy that's worth watching all the way through.

Seriously, even if you had an amazing evening celebrating the arrival of 2012, I guarantee it was nothing like this.

Money to Burn!

This is spectacular. And way less uptight than in WTC, NYC, USA.

Default Skyscraping

First ever pic of actually scraping the sky??

Sick shot....
    (found it in EpicLOL.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	18028  

Still don't quite believe this. Wouldn't the wind produced by the chopper blades have blown him off his perch? Doesn't look like his hair is being blown around wildly. Not naturally windy all the way up there?

As Emirates 24/7 reported, Cruise vandalized the building by etching his then-wife’s name, Katie Holmes, into the spire.
    There's other graffiti up there, too.

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/07...aredevils.html

Tom Cruise Sitting On Top Of The Burj Khalifa – Real or Photoshop?

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132