Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Smile

These countries (The Gulf States) will never go broke as long as we buy SUV's

Unless their oil runs dry...which is why they are building these buildings and resorts, they see that oil will not sustain them throughout the 21st century. If I was Sheik I would be doing the same thing.

True they have realized that (or they are just trying to keep up with international competition; make a name for themselves...but i doubt that), but i still feel as if they are over developing. I think it would be more astute to develope a lot of parcels now, but leave just as many or more for late uses. Because think of all that is being constucted; the Arabian continent with all it's oil reserves has it's excrutiatingly rich class, but thats only so many. I don't know, the only think we can do as of now is to see how the economy will shape out. But you can bet, i think, that its going to fall short....Ahh i just thought of the best analigy. Think of it as you are trying to start a fire, you need oxygen, but not TOO much in order to start it. I think that they are puttin a little bit too much for this small fire. Given, in time it can amount of a blaze, but i think that it's being overdeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by ube
    These countries (The Gulf States) will never go broke as long as we buy SUV's
    Ube, harvestable Oil is supposed to run out inbetween the years 2016-2022 depending on the usage currently. ^^Those facts are from the discovery channel.

Forum Veteran

CNN

Dubai tower to be world's tallest building

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- For now, the world's tallest building-to-be is just a flower-shaped concrete tattoo on the desert sands, but its pilings are already in place, plunging 160 feet into the earth. When it's finished, visitors will swoon over this city from 123 stories high, if not more.

In fact the Burj Dubai will be much higher, the developers say dozens of stories taller than skyscrapers in Taiwan, Chicago or anywhere else. But they are keeping the exact height a secret to flummox competitors in the world's furious race for the title of tallest skyscraper.

"We're going to records never approached before. Not only will it be the tallest building, it will be the tallest manmade tower," said Robert Booth, a director at Emaar Properties, the Dubai construction firm developing the spire-shaped, stainless-steel-skinned tower.

Booth said jokingly that once completed in 2008, the $900 million Burj will sport a movable spire to keep observers from ever gauging the true height.

"Only the chairman will know how tall it is," he joked.

He refused to reveal the total number of stories, but a mock elevator at the site held a button for a 189th floor. The building's 10 foot sway in the wind means designers need to prevent whiplash in the ultra-long cables hauling up 50 elevators.

The craze for height has hit hardest in industrializing Asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong and China, which boast seven of the world's 10 tallest buildings. The current tallest, at 101 floors, is the Taipei 101 in Taiwan, though Toronto's CN Tower is 180 feet higher, largely because of its huge antenna.

The Persian Gulf city of Dubai has staked its fame on engineering audacity such as its vast archipelagoes of artificial holiday islands, and the Burj, Arabic for "tower," is one of its more extreme mega-projects.

New York built skyscrapers because land was scarce; Dubai is doing it to get on the international map.

"It's image, clearly," said Richard Rosan, president of the Washington-based Urban Land Institute. "There is no practical reason for having a building this tall."

On paper, the Burj looks something like a giant space shuttle about to be launched into the clouds.

Booth took reporters to the open-air 37th floor of a neighboring building, a vertigo-inducing experience in itself, and chatted breezily while standing perilously close to the abyss.

"Can you imagine what it's going to be like on the 137th floor?" he said. "You can't be scared of heights to do this job."

Developers say the silvery steel-and-glass building will restore to the Middle East the honor of hosting the earth's tallest structure -- a title lost in 1889 when the Eiffel Tower upset the 43-century reign of Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza.

Designers have planned for catastrophes, manmade and other, said Greg Sang, Emaar's project manager for the Burj. Sang believes the concrete-core building would withstand an airliner strike of the sort that brought down the steel-frame World Trade Center.

"Concrete is much more robust than steel when you hit it. It's also much better at resisting fire," he said.

The tower owes its shape to American architect Adrian Smith, of the Chicago firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Smith also designed Shanghai's 1,378-foot Jin Mao tower, the world's fourth tallest.

Workers from the chief contractor, South Korea's Samsung, are already swarming over the slab, shaped in three rounded lobes like a local desert flower.

A hotel will occupy the lower 37 floors. Floors 45 through 108 will have 700 private apartments -- already sold in just eight hours, the developer said.

Corporate offices and suites will fill most of the rest, except for a 123rd floor lobby and 124th floor observation deck -- with an outdoor terrace for the brave. The spire will also hold communication equipment.

As for the title of world's tallest, Sang expects the Burj to hold it for a few years. "But someone, somewhere will come along and build a taller building. It's just a matter of time and money."

[QUOTE=tonyo]CNN

Dubai tower to be world's tallest building

A hotel will occupy the lower 37 floors. Floors 45 through 108 will have 700 private apartments -- already sold in just eight hours, the developer said.

[QUOTE/]

Wow, i guess that if all 700 apartments were sold in JUST 8 HOURS my whole entire theory that Dubai would crash and burn under the strain of over developement totally wrong. They could be bluffing....but why would they do that? I think that it just shows that Dubai is becoming a competetive city

^^Whoops, sorry for that, the quote didn't quite qork out

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Holland
    how they can build such a tower in such a small country?
    i think as the tower is build that many offices are in use.

stupid to build a tower of 705 metres of offices in such a small country with 2.5 million people.....
    Dubai's population is mostly transient. There are, depending on the estimates, 600,000 to 1.2 million PERMANENT residents of Dubai, but they only comprise 10% of the city's total population at any given time. Most of the people in Dubai are there on temporary work visas and are not counted in census data.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Dubai's population is mostly transient. There are, depending on the estimates, 600,000 to 1.2 million PERMANENT residents of Dubai, but they only comprise 10% of the city's total population at any given time. Most of the people in Dubai are there on temporary work visas and are not counted in census data.
    wow, that;s pretty interesting, never knew that

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbster
    wow, that;s pretty interesting, never knew that

Hello everyone. I accidentally came across this site whilst doing research on globalisation and Dubai for my MSc. dissertation.

I am a memeber on a number of other forums and am familiar with the way this sort of thing works.

I have lived in Dubai all my life and am currently studying in London, in the UK.

From what I have read, some of you are curious to know what Dubai is all about. I know of a link which will give u a better insight into what Dubai is like.

I hope it proves to be useful in showing you that Dubai is a little more than a sleepy village in the ME. LOL.

hope u enjoy the vid:
    http://www.cico.tv/video.php?p=1&bw=high&f_id=178

you can adjust the settings if you have a dial up connection.

oh and if u have any q's on Dubai, I will be happy to field them and be as informative as I can.

Cheers,
    F.

Nice PROMO video. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    Nice PROMO video. Thank you!
    I am glad you enjoyed the vid. I have found a few photographs that will show you what Dubai's 2 downtowns are like.

The Old Downtown:

The New Downtown, aka, SZR (Sheikh Zayed Road) - The Burj Dubai Development will be just after the last skyscraper on the far left in the pic below:

Oh and here is a shot of the extraordinary pace at which construction is taking place at Dubai's, Dubai Marina.

Hope u enjoy the pics.

Architectural Padawan

I love this picture... it doesn't look real with that amazing reflection
    Quote Originally Posted by Face81

Deimos: I had to remove your post, since it was in response to the intended deletion.

Kiansville: Post another message like the one I deleted, and you will not be here for long.

Forum Veteran

Hmmm...not very many people on the streets.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast