Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

edit.
    Last edited by Jim Koeleman; December 12th, 2008 at 06:02 AM.

Amazed this thread has been inactive for so long, the Burj has grown a great deal since the last post. Here are some of the latest updates, only about another 150 storey's to go!

January 31st.

January 21st

Dubai looks drier than Vegas ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Holland
    WOW!!! I cant believe how small the Chrystler Building looks compared with Dubai.

Castles in the Sand (audio slide show on Dubai)
    Last edited by Kris; February 8th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Astounding ^^ ... money quote from the audio slide show:

"One gets the sense that no one wants to be the first to say that Dubai cannot expand forever."

Don't mean to bring down this achievement but I count 3 buildings going up in that one pic alone. Either somebody has some serious guarantees about the economic surival of these projects or they're wasting a lot of money.

Check out the slide show ... you'll see that a lot more than 3 buildings (all big ones) are going up.

As the narrator explains, this is all going up fast, based on oil money, and to fulfill the grandiose -- but not wholely unrealistic -- vision of the local leader.

Apparently the area has proven to be a very popular destination, particularly among citizens from northern European countries.

One of the new projects: An indoor ski mountain -- not just some bunny slope but a full scale downhill-type run with lifts, trees & rocks -- and of course snow and cold weather.

Money to burn it seems ...

Wow! I like the above design very much.
    What is happening in Dubai is simply amazing. Every time I read more about the projects there it makes me feel a bit silly in comparison as we kvetch over getting WTC site rebuilt in a satisfying way, or any other of NYC projects that get downsized or killed.
    I adore New York's countless architectural treasures, but now we build mediocre mid-height boxes and we feel lucky if we at least get an interesting skin on a few of them.
    Compared to the designs being built in other world cities, we are in danger of getting a rep that goes something like," oh yeah, New York is nice to visit if you want 20th century- but if you want cutting edge go to ____ instead."
    They certainly won't be coming to NYC anymore for it's nightlife or sense of liberty, now other places do that better as well.

New York needs a shot in the ass.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Wow! I like the above design very much.
    You do? I think it's a Salvador Dali-esque take on Orthanc from The Lord of the Rings. The only thing that would complete that image is if Saruman could appear from a high window rallying the Uruk-hai to march on Helm's Deep.

BTW, that appears to be Boston in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    BTW, that appears to be Boston in the background.
    you're so right ... (photo from Gutter http://www.gutter.curbed.com/ ):

Orthanc! Well, I'll try to put in words why I like it. First, it's different from many of the Dubai designs. Although the shape is unique, it is not fussy, with kooky details, or what I think of as "desert kitsch". Rather, it is organic and simple. Like it grew from the waterside. The wave motif in the facade continue the nautical reference in a way that seem natural, not forced to me. Although I do think the "fin" sticking up at the base rises a bit too high- that looks forced. The warm yellow interior, peeking through the sliced wave pattern is somehow both dramatic and subtle. I don't think the exterior will be as dark as the shading in the first rendering suggests...in it's midtones I see a greenish blue color on my display. I like the tapering of the form- expanding again from midpoint to the top and then into a curved wedge. No spire, which is a wise choice here. An overall balance of form. I'm picky with my affections but this one gets a thumbs up. Do you really hate it, or have I persuaded you at all? It's really kind of cool!

They certainly won't be coming to NYC anymore for it's nightlife or sense of liberty, now other places do that better as well.
    QUOTE]

what?

what, what? Are you a club goer? I am for years. Dancing and the club scene have been an important part of my life since I was old enough to get in. I have seen the NY nightlife in its ups and downs as clubs have come and gone. The scene right now is at it's lowest in decades. There are a few good clubs that are trying to keep the torch lit, but nothing like there used to be. The scene has been repeatedly attacked and shut down by authoritarian figures who do not realize the importance of NY's nightlife to its tourism revenues or reputation.
    Yes, there are other world cities whose nightlife is more dynamic at the moment and convey a truer sense of liberty. I have partied from Rio to Amsterdam, Ibiza, Berlin, Barcelona and Madrid, and more. New York is losing it's edge and reputation in this area. Sure, there are still the uptight poser spots for celebrities and models, but if you are a real new yorker or an average tourist looking for a good time, you'll have trouble finding the scene that used to be here.
    If you are someone who goes out dancing only once in a while, or hardly ever, and just form your opinions on NY nightlife from hearsay, then it doesn't surprise me that you found my statement curious.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast