Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai) - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

The beast is rising, this photo was taken around the 21st of March.

Some recent photos by asb63 of SSC.

Dubai is just crazy! I wonder how many millions of square feet of space are under construction there right now. Mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Dubai is just crazy! I wonder how many millions of square feet of space are under construction there right now. Mind boggling.
    And it's not just that, it like, whoa a freakin city is actually popping up out in the middle of the desert. All those cranes can be an eye sore, but you love to see all this stuff.

Does anyone know if all those "green" areas are grass or astro-turf? If it is grass then they must have a huge desalinization plant, and massive amounts of electricity. All the renderings show the Burj surrounded by water and grass. I assume salt water and astro-turf?

Banned Member

It is becoming a big vacation destination for Europeans.

Yes, the buzz in Europe about vacationing in Dubai is really growing! I want to plan a trip there, but I'm waiting until some of this stuff is completed.

Dubai's desalinization plant is humungous and processes over 250 millions gallons of water a day just for the landscaping!

Exclamation Wow!!!!

THAT PIC IS CRAZY?? IS THAT ON THIS PLANT?? Thethinkingman is right, a whole city is just growing at once. I have never seen so many cranes rising at once. Talk about urban development!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPandaesq
    Does anyone know if all those "green" areas are grass or astro-turf? If it is grass then they must have a huge desalinization plant, and massive amounts of electricity. All the renderings show the Burj surrounded by water and grass. I assume salt water and astro-turf?
    I've seen those rendrings my- self and I don't know how they're going to put all that stuff around it. Right now it looks like it might be to crowded to do anything like that.

How's this: (!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Dubai's desalinization plant is humungous and processes over 250 millions gallons of water a day just for the landscaping!
    Crazy!! Do you know what type of Power generation they are using? I have heard that Dubai is not Oil rich so are they using coal, LNG, (I assume not nuke, but that would make sense)?

Insane In The Membrane!!

I think it's natural gas presently, but they are looking into solar powered plants for the future.

but they are looking into solar powered plants for the future.
    That makes sense. They must be getting killed on energy costs. All those Apartments with A/C during the day and Heat at night their wattage must be huge. Are they building new power-plants? Do you have any info on Dubai infrastructure? Seams that if they are not careful, they could quickly outstrip supply.

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320
    THAT PIC IS CRAZY?? IS THAT ON THIS PLANT?? Thethinkingman is right, a whole city is just growing at once. I have never seen so many cranes rising at once. Talk about urban development!!!!!
    20% of the world`s cranes to be precise. i first started going to dubai 6 years ago and only 3 years ago that photo at the beach would have had the 4 hotels at the front and bugger all else!

has anyone checked out the G-tower? it`s incredible!

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast