View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 11 of 341 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

DONT LOWER THE HEIGHT DAMMIT! :evil:

Forum Veteran

Second tallest building downtown. Taller than AIG? That's pretty nice.

If built, the Frank Gehry-designed tower will be the second tallest building Downtown after the Freedom Tower.
    That is nice. I wonder if that would include Tower 2, though probably not. I also wonder what the overall standing would be in the Manhattan rankings. The fact that they haven't released or given an indication of height (other than rank) makes me believe the height approaches 1,000 ft (or higher).....

Im getting more and more excited about this! So, Ive decided to ask the people who would know best, YOU ALL! Do you think the height will be lowered in the end?

Forum Veteran

I don't. The community pushing for a plaza implies the height cannot be shortened as that would increase the building's footprint.

I posted this over at SSP but I might as well say it here, at 75 stories and using the same avg. floor height that we see at 7wtc (750/52=14.423) we are looking at a building around 1081.731 feet...

It's a mixed-use building. All floors may not have the typical office floor-to-floor height.

Forum Veteran

Ratner...altering both DT NY and DT BK. Nice.

i just visited skyscraperpage.com and clicked on this building. The architectural style read futuristic. That is a style i don't believe whe ever had in New York. If we did, not at this scale at all. I can't wait for renderings. Does anyone know when they will be release? Exelent. Another huge building to be added to the New York City skyline between now and 2015. I expect looking at the city in 2015 and seeing it 10 times better than now. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    The community pushing for a plaza implies the height cannot be shortened as that would increase the building's footprint.
    That's true.

It's interesting in both Ratner developments, that the community boards claim to "represent" the people - until those most affected have a difference of opinion (people who sold apartments and property to Ratner in Brooklyn and the people in Manhattan who don't want this tower up against their windows). When they take a position that is clearly different from that of the boards, everyone questions their motives, as if people are no longer allowed to think for themselves.

I think Ratner will get this done in the same fashion he has been working in Brooklyn - the people most affected will be pleased. Those who just want to agitate won't be....

It's like holding the site for ransom all these random demands. Investment in the area is a good thing -- a great signature building breaking through the 800 ft. ceiling that everything seems to stop at these days is wonderful... and for Gehry this would be his first real full scale highrise -- at least since his aborted NY Times tower, right?

Forum Veteran

Johnny: I put in the style for the building . It's simply from the description in the earlier article.

The local residents' absurd extortion is an example of what I was getting at in a prior post about how New York is an anti-development city. If this building were proposed for Chicago, Houston (or most any other US city), all of the local yahoos would be excited about it. They wouldn't flip out because it's too massive and demand amenities for their own properties. The saga with Lots 5B and 5C in Tribeca is another example of this.

Forum Veteran

Very astute observation, London.

does anyone know when the renderings will be released?