View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 15 of 341 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

ah, okay. Cool.

Forum Veteran

I'm so ready for a rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottebaum
    Yeah, but the k-8 only needs around 100,000 sq.ft. I think that we'll see a slight decrease in height.
    No, Ratner will not waste the unused buildable rights. He can replace the space with more apartments.
    That's right. And much of the Pace space was in the form of dorms. Ratner can just convert that space into more apartments, maybe the 20% "affordable" he would need...

A Ratner spokesperson said there was now "no expectation" of Liberty Bonds and that the developer instead would seek low-interest financing from the city and state available for residential projects that reserve 20 percent of their units for affordable rentals.

I'm so ready for a rendering.
    According to Ratner one will be released before the new year. I will say this much, if ratner keeps to that timetable and we see a rendering in the next couple of months, Im confident, if not the entire program has changed.

At this point in time I would settle for a sketch. Rendering of unconventional buildings, IN NEW YORK, get me so damn gitty. Im sure many of you feel the same way...

Forum Veteran

any news since Pace pulled out, is this project dead?

Downtown Express photo by Elisabeth Robert
    Architect Frank Gehry spoke at Parsons School of Design Nov. 29.

By Ronda Kaysen

New York is intense, even for famed architect Frank Gehry. During a Nov. 29 discussion with Parsons School of Design Dean Paul Goldberger, Gehry confirmed, among other things, that New York City is a very different town than his current place of residence — sprawling Los Angeles.

“It’s an intense kind of urbanity that’s different from L.A. It’s different from any city,” he told a packed audience at the New School University’s Tishman Auditorium. Dressed in a faded blue sports jacket and crumpled khakis, Gehry chatted with Goldberger, architecture critic for The New Yorker, about all things architectural. The interview marked the first of a new series on design and architecture dubbed ‘At the Parsons Table.’ “I just kind of go with the flow,” Gehry said about working in New York.

For Gehry, the flow is substantial. The 75-year-old architect du jour is currently immersed in three New York City projects — the theater performance space in the new World Trade Center and two Bruce Ratner projects: the New Jersey Nets’ new Brooklyn Stadium and a 75-story residential tower on Beekman St. in Lower Manhattan.

“We put in our name and lo and behold we got it,” he said of his bid for the W.T.C. performance space. The first round of designs is due by February, Gehry said. “It’s complicated, we’re just studying the program,” he said. The performance space will house the Joyce dance theater and the Signature Theater.

Gehry bowed out of the 2002 design competition for the W.T.C. site master plan. At the time, he said the nominal compensation offered to the applicants was insufficient. His explanation at Monday night’s discussion took a more sentimental approach. “I tried to stay out of that. It’s just too emotional. I didn’t know how to relate to it,” he told Goldberger, author of a book about the rebuilding of the W.T.C., “Up from Zero: Politics, Architecture, and the Rebuilding of New York” (Random House, 2004).

Gehry made no mention of developer Bruce Ratner’s 75-story Beekman St. tower on a site owned by NYU Downtown Hospital. When Downtown Express later requested details, a spokesperson for the architect declined to comment on the project. Ratner said in October that Gehry’s renderings of the Beekman building are spectacular.

Ronda@DowntownExpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    any news since Pace pulled out, is this project dead?
    They're trying to get an elementary school in the building which would make it more palatable to the community and thus, more likely to get built.

More from the DOWNTOWN EXPRESS

C.B. 1 discusses school sites

While talks continue about the future site of a new K-8 school for Lower Manhattan, some members of Community Board 1’s Youth and Education committee wondered at last week’s meeting whether or not the school should be one K-8, or two separate elementary and middle schools.

Committee chairperson Paul Hovitz said the committee had already supported the K-8 model and that he hadn’t heard anything from the Department of Education to indicate that they were considering anything other than the K-8 model.

“That is the direction that the pendulum is swinging to make up for the middle schools’ failure across the country,” Hovitz said. The details and logistics of the type of school it will eventually be will be decided after a site is chosen, he added.

The committee is hoping the school will be included in the tower to be designed by Frank Gehry at Beekman St. Although a meeting this week at Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s office and developer Forest City Ratner was postponed, elected officials are working to get the school included in the NYU Downtown Hospital site at Beekman St., Hovitz said. The hospital, which owns the land that Ratner wants to build the 75-story Gehry tower, plans to have a facility in the new building.

If that site falls through, the committee is open to the 250 Water St. site that has also been under consideration.

—- Ted Phillips

In the words of Austin Powers, "Yeaaaaah, baby! Grooooovy!" This project will be great!

I am officially excited!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer

By Ronda Kaysen

For Gehry, the flow is substantial. The 75-year-old architect du jour is currently immersed in three New York City projects — the theater performance space in the new World Trade Center and two Bruce Ratner projects: the New Jersey Nets’ new Brooklyn Stadium and a 75-story residential tower on Beekman St. in Lower Manhattan.
    Isn't he also doing a theater for the BAM Cultural District?

Forum Veteran

I thought that was Enrique Norten.

londonlawyer wrote:

By Ronda Kaysen

Isn't he also doing a theater for the BAM Cultural District?
    I thought that was Enrique Norten.
    No. Billy is correct. The article is wrong. In addition to the mentioned projects Gehry has his hand in a new Guggenheim on the westside, Iteract Corp's HQ, and a new theater for BAM.

Enrique Norten is designing a new central library on the same block.

Forum Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, Stern.