View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 154 of 341 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 5107

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

Please move on already the debate is dead. And after you tell someone to contribute to the forum you continue your repetitive hyperbole.

Well the post you refer to you applies to you too as well.

And perhaps with a little bit extra reading compehesion you may realize that I moved the discussion past the wall towards how I look at Gerhy in a new light because he caved to the developers' request. Now are you gonna provide a somewhat insightful reply about my opinion or are you just going to label it with innane preconceptions?

Ok no-one can post any longer unless the posts meet your strict insight criteria? Get lost.

We will accept nothing less than one hundred percent wavy walls.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE
    I would have more respect for him if he had walked out of this project, like other archtiects have done in the past (ie-Foster), and not diminishing his architectural standards.
    Wasn't the Hearst Tower shortened from the original proposal?

Although I like the tower, I think it should have been one segment (8 floors) taller. Why didn't Foster walk away?

Probably because Hearst was a great project all around; even at its reduced height. From the restoration of the exterior base walls to its LEED standards and striking shape. Of course I am always for height increases but in this particular case the reduced height does not take away from its aesthetics.

My opinion is not based on height-for-height's sake.

Aesthetically, the building is a little stumpy.

I'm tired of opening this thread and reading endless bickering. Moving on, has the building starting rising again?

I don't think that Foster was as vociferous and vehement against limitations in building height as Gerhy was with regard to conventional, ho-hum cookie cutter design. That was one of the great allures about Gerhy, like Calatrava, like FLW he was an artist that became an architect. I even remeber him mentioning that most residentials are banal. And while looking at the tower from the north it wont look banal, looking at it from the south (if it is indeed going to be a whole flat wall) it is going to look no better than the cookie cutters he would critize. And foster was not regarded as an artist, he is more of an conventional architect than Gerhy is. Now I prob look at him [Gerhy] as more of a conventional achitect than an artist than I did before.

Again, how come we have not seen any partial renderings of the southern wall? Why Mr Gerhy, why? Are you that ashamed of it?

Maybe he is going to surprise us....

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's amazing how people can be so retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    it is going to look no better than the cookie cutters he would critize.
    I am personally anticipating the stainless steel skin as much as I am the wavy walls. The flat wall might be kind of cool after all. We'll just have to see.

Indeed ^

Particularly since no one involved with the project will show us the damned south wall.

Isn't there anyone who reads WNY who could send out an image of the wall for someone here to post?

[If you want to keep it on the down low then just PM me and I'll give you my email -- and then I'll post it .]

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    I'm tired of opening this thread and reading endless bickering. Moving on, has the building starting rising again?

Walked by there today. The flat south wall now rises 13 stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylStrawberry View Post
    I am personally anticipating the stainless steel skin as much as I am the wavy walls. The flat wall might be kind of cool after all. We'll just have to see.
    Perhaps the south wall will be a wild primary color ... like yellow, using diagonal {but flat} panelling?

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Please move on already the debate is dead. And after you tell someone to contribute to the forum you continue your repetitive hyperbole.
    Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    It's amazing how people can be so retarded.
    You folks look amazingly ignorant throwing me insults because you disagree with my topic.....

If you guys dont like the topic you dont have to discuss it you know, and just ignore it. I mean seriously, must you resort to name calling? If you disagree just say why you disagree and state a more intelligible reason that "this person is "this, that and the other". You dont have to reply...

Well that is unless there is something wrong in your brain that does not allow you to think this way....then I can understand and I'll send a sympathy card (just send me your padded room number).

Lets try a little mental excersise and see if you guys can ignore the following statement without getting your undergarments in a twist...
    (Dont let me down now)

Oh, and by the way Alonzo, Antinimby....I really hate this flat, blank, non-wavy wall because I expected better from the starchitect. He should have showed it in his renderings so that we know what to expect and get a fulll grasp of the building.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    The level of conformism that has been reached with the justification of this blank wall, err...I mean flat, non-wavy wall, would be something that would make George W Bush republicans proud. It is particularly fascinating to see how it has reached a point that people defend something that they wouldn’t normally defend.
    Wow. A political reference. And for the record, I don't think anyone's actually "defending" anything. You think of it as trying to justify a wrongdoing, as if I'm saying "see no evil, hear no evil." It's more along the lines of "no harm, no foul."

Ratner used star power and played the mob like a fliddle getting them all to conform to the fact that this tower is a still a great tower simply because it was designed by a star.
    What in the hell are you talking about? Playing the mob?

You're sorely mistaken if you think the design of the tower portion won over the community's approval. It was all about what Ratner was going to include in the base: the school and community-oriented retail/offices. Ratner got public support for providing public use, not for providing stunning architecture.

The buildig overall is still somewhat nice, not great or just what we wanted, but acceptable which it kinda is. But, dare not anybody point out its flaws or the fact that one of the great architects of our time bowed to a developers insistence that he implement cookie cutter designs elements-the very thing he designed against- into what was supposed to be his masterpiece.
    Again, you're just making stuff up as you go along. Since when was this supposed to be Gehry's masterpiece? This was his first skyscraper. He's not a skyscraper architect. His best designs are lowrise structures that don't have to bend to the stricter rules of highrise engineering.

Your posts on this have devolved into pure hyperbole. You clearly have a real problem with Modernism, and you actively look for new opportunities to hate on it - even if that means picking on one side of a multi-sided, very complex and clearly un-Modernist structure.

So there's a flat wall. Like I pointed out a few pages ago, that's nothing new; you see it even among some of our most iconic and historic buildings. Please, do us a favor and get over it.

Side point on Foster: his original proposal for Hearst was vastly more creative, daring, and ambitious. When he brought the first blueprints to the executives, they promptly shot it down and told him to go back to the drawing board.