View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 242 of 341 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 5107

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

This thread has taken a turn for the interesting. Visual cohesion is, umm, unacceptable, I think. It's important to note that in Paris, the Eiffel Tower has nothing to do with the design "language" of much of the city. Additionally, the plazas, thoroughfares, and boulevards of Paris do a good job of setting off much of the sameness. Venice is in no way cohesive, made up of so very many townhouses set off by cathedrals, palaces, and bridges. Additionally, it is so very small compared to NY. Classical Dutch cities tend to be somewhat more homogeneous, but every last one of those is filled with a platoon of people trying to explore modern architecture so they don't die of boredom. It's all very interesting if you ask me.

Getting back to the topic at hand, we're on floor 71! And I finally managed to get a photo that sort of shows exactly how shiny this thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    As seen from Centre Street, near Grand & Broome ...

8 spruce
    That's a superb photo, Lofter.

Thanks, I was at max zoom on my SD850 and I find it can't really sustain a sharp (enough) image from that distance (particularly as the sun is setting or when the skies aren't crystal clear and blue).

There's a spot across the street where you can see this one and 70 Pine Street along with the others, but there's a streetlight that ruins the photo op.

My favorite view of downtown skyscrapers used to be from Lafayette and Jersey Streets (just below Houston). This one from Gehry has totally eclipsed 70 Pine at that spot. Hoping that 8 Spruce will prove to be a worthy replacement in that vista.

The old Police HQ is a masterpiece. I can't wait for the crappy parking lot next to it to be redeveloped (hopefully, with something good).

Hopefully the proposal for a Little Italy Historic District before something gets underway there, and then what ever goes up is a worthy neighbor to the old Police HQ.

It's a crime what was done to the old NYPD HQ Annex building to the north across Broome [400 Broome], now an NYU dorm). It was originally red brick with some dark green terracotta. Very utilitarian but quite handsome. A number of years back it was "renovated" -- they covered it with dry-vit andgrey stucco and put in garbage windows.

Broome Street Residence Hall was the annex to this police station. It housed the Bureau of Criminal Investigation and, for a short period, a branch of the police laboratories. It opened as a residence hall in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Because people are more important than places.
    And how is a person conflated with a building, dare I ask?

The Gehry building will not have "real people" in them, but the subsidized folks in Southrbridge are "real people"?

Not getting this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post

The Gehry building will not have "real people" in them, but the subsidized folks in Southrbridge are "real people"?

Not getting this at all.
    Oh, because once you build housing the people in the housing are more important than whatever form the housing previously took. NYC isn't going to spend the money to relocate all the people there (whether they want that or not) just to tear down the buildings and put something different up. This was Moses's trick in the first place (once you start building, no one will stop you.). We're pretty much stuck with almost all of the housing that was built during urban renewal in perpetuity unless some of the stuff becomes enough of a hazard that there's no option but to take it down, and even that won't happen until the buildings sit empty for years and years (the general public surely thinks if a building is there that it's being used, whether that's the case or not).

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post

Not getting this at all.
    You're not getting it because your comparison is flawed.

The "Gehry Building" replaced a parking lot, not viable housing. The comment you responded to was a reply to an "if only" - Southbridge taken down and a few Gehrys put up.

While it's an interesting thought experiment, I'd be uncomfortable standing before a crowd and explaining to them that their homes are being razed because they offend my aesthetic sensitivities.

do they have about 5 more floors to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyny View Post
    do they have about 5 more floors to go?
    4 as of today...

I count 21 complete at the top setback.

6 more to go?

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    4 as of today...
    What beautiful old buildings in the foreground, and they appear to be in perfect condition.

Reclad Verizon and that'll be one of the best contrast vistas in the City!

I was thinking the same thing, amigo.

Unfortunately, I don't think that Verizon will be reclad for a long time.