View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 307 of 341 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 5107

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

There's now a word for that: Ratnered

Any of you guys read "Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler?

It was good, and I've followed his site for a while. It turns out last month he selected Beekman as his "Eyesore of the Month"

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

"Presenting the new Frank Gehry-designed extravaganza, No. 8 Spruce Street (a.k.a. The Beekman) in lower Manhattan, 76 stories and more than a million square feet of luxury apartments – with a school and a hospital on the lower floors. "It's stupid how good it is!" the architect crowed to The New York Observer. Well, I agree with the first part of that sentence. He probably thinks it's a "green" building, too. What it actually is is a declension of floor plates that produce a whopping fee through sheer repetition, and yet another instantly obsolete tall building that will never be renovated, to clutter up the already skyscraper-plagued island at the center of New York City. The dents running up the building's exterior are a cute touch accomplished with Mr. Gehry's proprietary computer-aided-design (CAD) program. Gosh, does that make the building look special! What the building actually conveys most vividly is the despotic narcissism of celebtriy architecture.
    My guess is that the developer, Bruce Ratner, will fall short of selling enough units in this monstrosity to avoid foreclosure. It's the economy, stupid!"

Usually his pick for "Eyesore" is some blight of suburban sprawl or a too-cute feature of modern houses. When he goes into cities, it's usually to criticize a building with poor street presence. I don't get how he can consider NYC "skyscraper-plagued" but I haven't read his more recent books.

1.) It's a rental. It'll fill (just look at 2 gold a few blocks away).
    2.) How many buildings over 300 ft or so don't rely on repetition? Even the ESB, as amazing as it is, has a just a few floors that are the same.
    3.) I agree Manhattan is skyscraper plagued. We should tear it down for a few highways, all buy cars, and all move to Long Island. (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by nyck View Post
    Any of you guys read "Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler?

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

Usually his pick for "Eyesore" is some blight of suburban sprawl or a too-cute feature of modern houses. When he goes into cities, it's usually to criticize a building with poor street presence. I don't get how he can consider NYC "skyscraper-plagued" but I haven't read his more recent books.
    Sometimes an author needs to reinforce prior writings:

Kunstler Predicts The End Of Tall Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by ttk View Post
    Compared with Washington, my admiration for NYC is second to none. But all that is beside the point: the planed-off southern facade of the pretentiously named "New York by Gehry" ruins whatever masterpiece potential this building may once have promised. Irrespective of my hearty dislike for this architectural style currently in vogue, it is very sad to see the developer's miserly handiwork destroying the artistic integrity of this very large, very dramatic (if not histrionic) addition to the downtown skyline. To those who admire Mr. Gehry's work, it belongs with Orson Welles' "Magnificent Ambersons" or Rembrandt's "Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis" in the gallery of mutilated masterpieces.
    Excellent Post.

I find all of Gerhy's talk of the sothern facade to be hogwash to explain archtiectural hogwash. I am almost certain that Ratner put some sort of clause in his contract to say that that portion of the tower was deliberate. He cannot be that stupid.

But this is no unfinished masterpiece. Even if it was rippled all the way it still does not take away from this tower's major flaw and that is its gawd-awful massing. As mush as I enjoy Gerhy's architecture this tower has left me wishing that he does not attempt another highrise of this magnitude again. In fact, after seeing the renderings a part of me was wishing that this tower got stopped at halfway because in its form, (obviously not its facade) its an inadequate skyline tower.

"Skyscraper Plagued"

The guy must be a hater.

I'm about ready to pass final judgment on this building, its fine and all, but.....

Like all NY's buildings, the tower was designed by zoning, building codes, and economics.
    It was only packaged by Gehry, and he did a great job. Many of you act as if architects work in a vacuum and developers have infinite funds to produce whatever.

^
    As life in general, especially in a big dense city, it's a compromise. Some compromises made this building taller and narrower. Others reduced its overall design.

Quote Originally Posted by ttk View Post
    Sorry, everyone, but I just cannot reconcile myself to this enormous thing. The way it looms over City Hall Park is particularly off-putting, as if it were a gargantuan silverfish rearing up on its hind legs.
    I've complained about the south facade. I think the view down Barclay St is especially off-putting. However, the wide arc from the Brooklyn Bridge including City Hall Park - unless you don't like the design at all - offers a spectacular view. The south facade doesn't come into play; neither does it from Brooklyn.

I think it's more at home in Manhattan than any of the towers going up to the west.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Manhattan without skyscrapers = Staten Island.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Also subtract ten IQ points.

I hope everyone has seen the video. Our skyscrapers never looked so good.

http://www.newyorkbygehry.com/

^That short is just fantastic! Thank you!

The guys from Top Gear were in New York for their Christmas special and there were some fantastic shots of this on the skyline. It looks fantastic.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's also one of a handful of towers in the city (the others being the ESB and Chrysler) that ordinary people (that usually don't look at buildings) will stop and gawk at, take photos of, pointing their fingers at and talking with their friends about.

You see this a lot around City Hall Park and on the walkway on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Other cities create artwork/monuments for people to admire, New York does the same thing except it also houses people/workers in them, too.