View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 331 of 341 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 5107

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

2/21/2012

The public school entrance on the William St side...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beekman_school.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	14919

Aura Condos in Toronto at 895 ft will be taller.

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/proj...a-college-park

What has that got to do with this project? I doubt anybody cares ^^

From an earlier post

Designed by Frank Gehry, 8 Spruce Street, at 870 feet, is the tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere.
    Aura will be taller.

Someone's been reading Wiki.
    Once completed Aura will be the fourth tallest building in Canada. Aura will also hold the title of the tallest exclusively residential building in North America surpassing the recently built 8 Spruce Street in New York City by 3 feet.
    A lot of penis envy for a few feet.

You know, I guess I never got around to uploading the photos, but they have really neat Gehry designed planters sitting on the sidewalk waiting to be installed in the plaza, which is coming along nicely on the other side from this photo.

Doesn't 157 West 57th make either's tallest height claims irrelevent anyway, or is that not purely residential. Pardon my ignorance.

Forum Veteran

I don't particularly care about height records with an asterisk next to them (ie *residential or *including spire, etc..). I'm more interested in tallest floor in the world. Unfortunately I think that has slipped away from New York permanently. We should at least *try* to aim for tallest in the United States or North America

NY has very little space for a monster 600+ m building a la Shanghai, Shenzhen or Dubai. The large plots of land that are available are not zoned unlimited - hudson yards.

I think the days of 'tallest floor' are finished for NYC.

I agree, I would like to see a building with a roof/floor of SWFC/HK ICC height in NYC... around 500 meters to roof. I think that could be a possibility. but tallest floor, God no! NYC needs to focus on better transit and urban design which are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post
    Doesn't 157 West 57th make either's tallest height claims irrelevent anyway, or is that not purely residential. Pardon my ignorance.
    Hotel in that one.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    God no! NYC needs to focus on better transit and urban design which are more important.
    Except that private industry would develop such a tower, the government can concentrate on transit and urban design all they want. They just need to clear the red tape and relax zoning requirements in specific areas

It has nothing to do with zoning or private industry.

Futurecity is right. There's very little available land to assemble a site large enough to put up a record holding building. Look at all the current tallest buildings. How many are surrounded by open low-rise space?

If you relax zoning, you have to relax it for all the property, and you get owners maximizing their sites by putting up even more gigantic buildings shoulder to shoulder. You'll wind up with a dystopian Blade Runner landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It has nothing to do with zoning or private industry.

Futurecity is right. There's very little available land to assemble a site large enough to put up a record holding building. Look at all the current tallest buildings. How many are surrounded by open low-rise space?

If you relax zoning, you have to relax it for all the property, and you get owners maximizing their sites by putting up even more gigantic buildings shoulder to shoulder. You'll wind up with a dystopian Blade Runner landscape.

Why couldn't they have just relaxed zoning for the certain areas, like the yards? I.e, the zoning for the commercial towers could have been mixed-use unlimited. Most of these massive towers today in China and ME are mixed use.

Because in a large area like Hudson Yards, a developer doesn't want to put up one or two huge buildings. He wants to maximize the floor area that's available. It's more efficient to spread it out.

We seem to think that zoning is only about building heights, but it's more about neighborhood density.

Look at the WTC site. Millions of square feet to play with. Nothing was stopping Silverstein from building a 2000 ft building (well, maybe the FAA). Ironicaly, it's the govenment that's building the tallest building in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    From an earlier post

Aura will be taller.
    Actually, Beekman Tower appears to be 3 ft. taller than Aura.

Per DOB records, Beekman Tower is 876 ft. to highest point of roof, and Aura is 873 ft. to highest point of roof.

But who cares? Relative height, while not exactly meaningless, is pretty far down the list of importance, even for skyline and skyscraper fans.

What if I put a 4 ft. toothpick on Aura, to make it taller? Would that make a difference?

Do you want a 500-ft landmark, or a 1000-ft eyesore? I think most folks care about architectural/design quality first, then maybe relationship to the overall urban environment. Height is interesting to a tiny fraction of the population.