View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 4 of 341 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

red farriaie...you can never trust renderings...so far tower 2 and 3 will both be over 1100 feet...tower 2 will be 1200+ and tower 4 will be aroun 980 and tower 5 is excactly 871ft

Just says Gehry is the likely designer of the tower.
    http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_46/gehryinschool.html

Forum Veteran

This, plus the Calatrava tower...things are looking up for the east side of the Financial District.

Seems Gehry is Ratner's favorite architect now. I put the tower between 500 and 600 ft....

Hopefully more than that since a substantial part of it is not going to be residential. Also, 50 stories is just an appproximation. I've heard 56 and 57 stories reported before.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/index.html

Hospital looks to build 50-story apartment tower

By Elizabeth O’Brien

Local residents packed a Community Board 1 committee meeting on Tuesday to hear a presentation on the future of the N.Y.U. Downtown Hospital parking lot site.

A lawyer for the hospital confirmed that the site, bordered by Spruce, Beekman, Nassau and Gold Sts., is under contract to developer Bruce Ratner, who has proposed a mixed-use tower of about 50 stories, with apartments, Pace University dorms and classrooms, and hospital outpatient facilities. Representatives for Ratner were invited to the meeting but declined to attend, said C.B. 1 district manager Paul Goldstein.

Residents who live near the site at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge expressed concern about the tower blocking their natural light and decreasing their property values. They questioned why their input hadn’t been sought in the planning process and called for public forums where they could voice their opinions.

“Overall, this hasn’t been a great first step,” said Philip Toy, a resident of 140 Nassau St., after the meeting.

An official for the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development said the only city control over the property involved a contract between the city and N.Y.U. Downtown Hospital, stipulating that the land could only be sold to a non-profit organization. The city would move quickly to grant permission for Ratner, a developer, to buy the site, said William Carbine, an assistant commissioner for the agency.

The hospital urgently needs revenue from the sale of its land to bolster its flagging finances, said Stephen Lefkowitz, an attorney for the hospital. In return for allowing a private developer to buy the site, the city has asked that the hospital remain in the same location for decades to come and not reduce its services, Lefkowitz said.

Up until now, representatives of the hospital and Ratner had declined to confirm that there would even be a tower on the site.

Ratner has filed a statement of intent with the city Housing Development Corporation for $210 million in Liberty Bonds financing for the project, according to Tracy Paurowski, a spokesperson for the agency. In expressing interest in this federal 9/11 aid, Ratner indicated there would be 370 apartments in the building, Paurowski told Downtown Express earlier this month. Lefkowitz said on Tuesday that there would be about 350 apartments built.

When asked whether renowned architect Frank Gehry would design the site, a story first reported by Downtown Express, Lefkowitz said he had heard talk of Gehry’s involvement but declined to confirm it.

Goldstein said that C.B. 1 would organize a public forum on the hospital site and would invite representatives from the city, the hospital, and the developer.

Elizabeth@DowntownExpress.com

Downtown Express is published by
    Community Media LLC.

Has construction for this started yet? Any pictures of what It may look like? Thanks!

When asked whether renowned architect Frank Gehry would design the site, a story first reported by Downtown Express, Lefkowitz said he had heard talk of Gehry’s involvement but declined to confirm it.
    Usually, a building is designed before they actually start construction.

NY Post...

GEHRY LUXURY TOWER

By WILLIAM NEUMAN

April 19, 2004 -- Developer Bruce Ratner plans to use high-wattage architect Frank Gehry to design a 55-story, $210 million luxury apartment tower in lower Manhattan, after signing a deal to buy the site from NYU Downtown Hospital.

Ratner recently tapped Gehry for a proposed Nets basketball stadium with an adjoining office and residential complex in Downtown Brooklyn - but while approval for that deal is still far off, the lower Manhattan project may be closer to becoming a reality.

Sources familiar with the deal said Ratner has signed a contract with the hospital to pay in excess of $85 million for a parking lot between Spruce and Beekman streets, across the street from Pace University.

The deal also includes some 40,000 square feet of rent-free office or clinic space for the hospital and 400,000 square feet of dorms and classrooms for Pace.

Last February, the developer's Forest City Ratner Cos. received a preliminary authorization from the city's Housing Development Corp. for $131.4 million in tax-free Liberty Bonds to cover the land purchase and part of the construction costs, according to agency spokeswoman Tracy Paurowski.

Gehry is listed as the architect in HDC documents, which estimate the total cost of the project at $210 million.

The sale is expected to be finalized by summer.

In a recent meeting with members of Community Board 1, Ratner said he will use Gehry as the architect, and he has also committed to use Gehry in talks with hospital and city officials.

A Ratner representative, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Gehry will design the building.

FRANK GEHRY
    To design $210M bldg.

Gehry ugly is better than ordinary ugly. :P

Forum Veteran

I just hope Ratner doesn't think that if an architect's a celebrity, then he must be great.

Frank Gehry is not a very pretty man.

He's certainly not a celebrity for his looks.

Forum Veteran

If you're implying I said what I said because I don't like Gehry's work, you're wrong; I like some of it and I don't like some of it.

No, what I said was in response to his picture...

Not one of the prettier mugs I've ever seen.

im a student at Pace and i saw the president of the school give a speech where he mentioned the school is in discussions with Ratner to get part of the building. The school really wants and needs this space to expand around downtown. Ill be graduating in 3 weeks so it doesnt really affect me but it would be great for Pace to expand more around downtown similar to how NYU is spread out in various buildings around Washington Sq Park.