View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 41 of 341 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Sorry i was away this weekend for the holiday. A nice lecture for sure, had some good info about both projects. As for Beekman, its a nice building, it will be the tallest in Lower Manhattan besides Freedon, they want it to go up to possibly 1100 with the antenna.

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about an antenna, but I haven't seen the design of the tower itself yet, so its hard to form an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Yes. They have big plans, they may add office space as well to the project to secure the 1000.
    But that would be excellent.

Conde naste is only 840ft i believe

it goes all the way up to something like 1127ft to tip af antenna, taller than crysler!

Forum Veteran

You guys are so blase sometimes that it's kinda funny. "Only" 800+ feet? Boston doesn't have anything that tall; nor does Baltimore, to make no mention of Detroit, London, San Diego, Paris, Istanbul, Phoenix or Miami. (Edited since San Francisco does have an 800-foot+ building)

IMHO, if it's one of the ten or fifteen tallest buildings in the city, then it counts as a supertall.
    Last edited by TLOZ Link5; November 30th, 2005 at 02:13 PM.

we're New Yorkers, we have to be negative

I have high expectations, below 1000 feet won't cut it anymore!

haha
    Bigger cities expect bigger buildings

Hey guys,
    I've been looking at this site for a long time, but just signed up as a member. I have been especially keeping my eye on this project and it really seems to be an amazing project. Does anyone have any idea as to how long it will be until they can confirm that they're definitely building this tower so that Gehry will FINALLY release some renderings of this tower?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmac9wr
    Does anyone have any idea as to how long it will be until they can confirm that they're definitely building this tower so that Gehry will FINALLY release some renderings of this tower?
    No one really knows for sure. The community WANTS Gehry to tinker with the school space so you're looking at next year at the earliest.

Wasn't there a tiny leak rendering of the tower on his website? But the pic was too small to see?

Forum Veteran

2007 at earliest, mayny issues with this project, space allocation, funding, and ratner as always wanting to buildi without putting a dollar of his own up front

Default Beekman Project

I'm proud to say that I have seen the design of the new Gehry tower... and it is amazing. If it does go up (and i hope it does), it'll be the most magnificent piece of art/architecture man has ever seen. I was pretty blown away.

Just picture an image... a moment caught on film... a 900+ ft slab soaring into the sky, draped in a metallic silk cover fluttering mildly in the breeze in every direction... thats the new Gehry tower. Oh, and the penthouse on the 71st floor is to DIE for.

... and to answer the previous question... it won't break 1000 feet.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Do you know when the drawing will be released? Don't even have to be exact. Is it later this year, next year?

To be honest, I have no idea. I'm involved with the MEP design for this project, not the arch/structural. I can tell you that the tower is in its DD (Design Development) phase in an engineering standpoint.

I didn't see the rendering of the tower, but a scale model of it. It has no symmetry whatsover is any axis. I have no clue as to how they're gonna construct this thing. Each curtain wall segment (if they construct it in segments) are individualized and distinct... its gotta be built like a giant statue, like the statue of liberty. Even the windows are curved and warped to distinction. I can't wait.

I can answer more questions to the best of my abilities.