View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 52 of 341 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

build it.

without hesitation.....

I'm relieved it's not a total mess. For a Gehry building, this one is one of the best I've seen - those undulating walls are fantastic. However, I hope the roof doesn't look like it's falling apart in the final design. We'll see.

It also looks like a bottle of Michelob in a brown paper bag.
    You can project anything onto shape. A cloud could be a teddy bear or a turd.

Abomination and a mess?

We were already told it had undulating walls.

What else did you guys expect? This is Frank Gehry?
    Last edited by Teno; May 24th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

Some of his buildings look like the aftermath of an earthquake (total mess), some look like an opened birthday present, some remind me of a cartoon, and some are a little more traditional. You never know exactly what you're going to get, except that it won't be a typical.

But I know what you're saying, this is pretty much what I expected.

That's part of the problem for me. This is pretty much exactly what I expected. Before seeing these renderings, if someone asked me what I thought the design would look like, I would have described something very much like the design in the renderings. A Gehry building shouldn't be so predictable - or so conservative.

This building was described by Graydon Carter and others as "the perfect synthesis of a classic New York skyscraper and Gehry's undulating forms," or something along those lines. Close...but no cigar! At least not yet. A couple of quick photoshop squeezes seem to help.

More taper:

This squeeze gives those anthropomorphic curves a couple of heads at the top (suggesting two figures dancing). Personification helps minimize post 9/11 collapsing-building connotations.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments

Gehry's 74-story new downtown tower will have 666 apartments 23-MAY-06

The city’s Department of Buildings has received plans from Forest City Rattner for a 74-story, 876-foot-high, mixed-use tower just south of the Brooklyn Bridge and close to City Hall.
    The tower, which has the address of 8 Spruce Street, will include 666 rental and condominium apartments, a school and some facilities for the NYU Downtown Hospital, which is adjacent to the large vacant site.

The project, which also has frontage of Beekman Street, has been designed by Frank O. Gehry, shown above, the celebrated architect of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, and of a large mixed-use project known as the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn for Forest City Rattner, the developer of the Metro Tech center in downtown Brooklyn.

Mr. Gehry’s first major building to rise in Manhattan is now under construction for ITC, a concern headed by Barry Diller, on West Street south of the Chelsea Piers. It is a white-glass-clad building whose facades resemble sails and it is very, very impressive and beautiful although only a medium-size building. Gehry’s design for the Bilbao museum has been the most acclaimed and influential design in recent years. He designed a somewhat similar design for the same museum for a site south of the South Street Seaport along the East River a few years ago, but the museum abandoned the project recently because of funding concerns.

Apart from the planned Freedom Tower at the former World Trade Center site not far away, this tower is one of the most anticipated designs in the city in recent years along with Santiago Calatrava’s planned “townhouses-in-the-sky” tower at 80 South Street for Frank Sciame.

No renderings have yet been publicly released for the Spruce Street project, but documents on file with the Department of Buildings indicate that the building will contain about 1,147,043 square feet of space. The project has led to considerable speculation on the Internet about its design with many observers suggesting that Mr. Gehry has continued to tweak his design.

The building will have a garage, a bicycle room, resident’s cellar storage and the first floor will contain two residential lobbies, a school lobby, a medical offices lobby, a cafeteria and retail space. The second through the fourth floors will contain classrooms, a library and a gymnasium for the school. The fifth floor will have medical offices as an accessory to the hospital. The sixth floor will be mechanical and the seventh floor will have an accessory gym, an exterior pool, and two community rooms.

Floors 8 through 14 will have 19 apartments each. Floors 15 through 22 will have 18 apartments each. Floors 23 through 35 will have 14 apartments each. The 36th floor will be mechanical.

Floors 37 through 43 will have 8 apartments each. The 44th floor will have a few apartments, an accessory gym and a community room.

Floors 45 through 48 will have 7 apartments each. Floors 49 through 70 will have five apartments each. Floors 71 and 72 will have two apartments and the lower third of a triplex the rest of which are on the 73rd and 74th floors.

If floors 23 through 43 are rental there would be a total of 505 rental units and if floors 45 through 74 are condominiums there would be 161 condominium apartments.

Earlier this year, some plans for the project were “disapproved” by the Buildings Department, but the application process was completed May 2, 2006.

The building’s “block” number is 100. Its “lot” number is “1.”

The tower is expected to contain a new public school as well as expansion facilities for the hospital.

Originally, it was also intended to contain expansion facilities for Pace University, but that institution withdrew from the plan.

Forum Veteran

^ Yes, interesting choice of apartment #'s. They'll probably have a 13th floor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Sign of the Beast.
    ...in a hideous beast of a building.

Quote Originally Posted by STR
    ...in a hideous beast of a building.
    Well according to Gutter, the renderings released are not current and will not be built.

Unbreaking! Gehry Tower Totally Different!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

We are not going to take too much pleasure in doing this. But it ain't gonna sting bad neither. Yesterday, our estranged half-steps at Curbed (Happy Birthday!) scored a major coup, echoed below, in unleashing on the world the first public images of yet another turgid Gehry planned for Our Fair Metropolis. The tower at 200 Beekman (or is it 8 Spruce?) has long fascinated those easily fascinated by such things, but the question of what it would look like—it's a ****ing Gehry building!—was not at the fore. Still, we found their enthusiasms infectious, charming, even, in their own way. But they were misplaced—it looks like a ****ing Gehry building!—and now, we find, through the magic of opening our morning mail (no, Foster, not now; set it up in the solarium) that the renderings are out of date. A trusted source of the highest breeding and moral fibre advises us that an equally trusted and well-respected birdie tweets that, in the former's words:

"Those pics are really old, apparently. Like two years old. And the design has, apparently, 'changed.' Don't you guys fact check over there anymore? Mind the store!"

Um. Source? We know you're having a bad month year. So we won't pile on.

^
    Good

Forum Veteran

if those renderings are whats to be built its a huge disapointment. 80 South street is something i truly want to see built, this not really at all

I'm not entirely convinced. The developers of Chicago's Aqua said the same thing about leaked images of their building. Not 3 weeks later they released renderings showing...drumroll...the same damn building inch for inch. Not exactly the same situation, there's a greater time-gap here, but I don't neccissarilly believe they've changed the design much.

First of all, its a model not a rendering. Secondly, because its a model the materials and colors are not shown as they will be built. A different color would totally give a different impression. Thirdly, It was pretty well stated right when the picture was shown that it was from 2004 so I don't know how anyone could think it hasn't changed and that this was a final design.