View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 53 of 341 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

I never called it a render and I damn well know the difference, thank you. As for the tower, I think whatever is released will end up as a refinement of the above model, as opposed to an entirely new design. I could be wrong, or right. I really don't care too much.

But whatever, here's it in context, though it doesn't seem that the tower will abut the building next door as shown. I'll fix it when I redo the block.

Last edited by STR; May 25th, 2006 at 10:13 PM.

McEngineer,

Is the rendering that's been posted accurate?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Haven't heard from him in ages. Probably doing detention in Ratner's office for talking.

Quote Originally Posted by STR
    I never called it a render and I damn well know the difference, thank you. As for the tower, I think whatever is released will end up as a refinement of the above model, as opposed to an entirely new design. I could be wrong, or right. I really don't care too much.
    I wasn't directing my comments at you. You just happened to be the previous poster. Sorry.

If I were directing them at you I would have quoted you.

"I've seen new renderings of the Beekman, and the scale seems right (the overall form of the building in the renderings on Curbed conforms to what I saw), but the images you posted don't compare to the renderings I've seen. What you're showing looks like a skeleton without its skin. It's difficult to explain. Think Gaudi in titanium. Sort of Baroque."

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...of_baroque.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    "I've seen new renderings of the Beekman, and the scale seems right (the overall form of the building in the renderings on Curbed conforms to what I saw), but the images you posted don't compare to the renderings I've seen. What you're showing looks like a skeleton without its skin. It's difficult to explain. Think Gaudi in titanium. Sort of Baroque."

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/...of_baroque.php
    To go along with this, if you see the film Sketches of Frank Gehry you will see a tall building that looks like the renderings posted with a silverish metal fascade.

Under Cover

"The project also includes a 75-story, Frank Gehry-designed apartment building. A spokesperson for developer Bruce Ratner said Gehry’s new drawings will be released next week."

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_159/undercover.html

Wow, for the first time, I can't wait till the Holiday is over!

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    I wasn't directing my comments at you. You just happened to be the previous poster. Sorry.

If I were directing them at you I would have quoted you.
    No worries. I figured you were drunk or something anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by STR
    No worries. I figured you were drunk or something anyway.
    Well, drunkeness does sort of go with the design don't you think?

This scraper better look as good as it has been hyped up to be because it may block one of the best views in NYC of the elegant Woolworth Building (from fulton landing, Brooklyn).

Fingers Crossed is right ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bkln Bridge_01a.JPG 
Views:	630 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	1947  

^ That's horrendous. Looks like an Asian building under construction with the scafolding still up.

Banned Member

Please let it taper and have a crown of some sort.

That view is so sad. Manhattan looked so much better before those highrise "projects" and architectural disasters rose. We actually took a huge step backwards.

Last edited by GVNY; May 31st, 2006 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GVNY
    That view is so sad. Manhattan looked so much better before those highrise "projects" and architectural disasters rose. We actually took a huge step backwards.

Absolutely!
    I couldn't agree with you more!! What happened in DT is an absolute tragedy. The beauty we had then compared to the mediocrity that we ended up really makes me both angry and sad.

If you ever walk around in the small intimate streets of DT you discover these architectural treasures that have been buried through the years with aesthetically barren layers of corporate boxes. These corporate box monstrosities were built under the veil of a different architectural style when in fact it was just a means of maximizing space and profit while ignoring the fact (mostly due to greed) that architecture is and art for which it should make people proud to look at and admire from the distances. Beacons of our achievements not just space filling money cows.

To all the developers of the corporate box era that were responsible for this huge step backwards I send you one resounding f--- you and thanks for nothing.

On a lighter note, it seems like this guy Ratner understands the validity of architecture as an art. Picking Gehry instead of a SOM type of architects shows that he appreciates the aesthetic value in building skyscrapers. Lets hope Beekman does not disappoint.