View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 55 of 341 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

^Based on the description in the article and the size of the image, I'd say the big one on the right is the final design.

The designs on the top row of that image are definately the best - Livelier than the final design. The out-dated design Curbed "leaked" is, I believe, the last one in that set of images. It and the rest of the bottom row are all ugly, strangely porportioned towers. I'm happy with the final design. A crown would make it great, but it works fine without it.

The base is a big question mark. What a pity.

I wonder what the other sides of the building look like. Is the tower L-shaped or T-shaped?

This is my favorite. Very elegant. Kind of Like the IAC building but stretched vertically, it's a superior design. It's cleaner, it has much better rhythm. And, there's no boring base interrupting things either.

I agree with you. It looks like Gehry's interpretation of a classic, early 1900's Manhattan skyscraper.

Banned Member

The undulating walls kind of reminded me of the old 11 Madison design.

Default Agree, that's the best version, with no base

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    This is my favorite. Very elegant. Kind of Like the IAC building but stretched vertically, it's a superior design. It's cleaner, it has much better rhythm. And, there's no boring base interrupting things either.

I can't believe he can't better integrate the school program into the building form without literally sticking it on a dumb block. He could flare the lowest segment out to incorporate a larger footprint. Unfortunately, that's how Gehrey designs. he starts with dumb blocks and drapes mesh, paper, cardboard, whatever over to create skin.

I would have preferred a glass version of this to another metal skin facade. Similar to IAC but NO ZEBRA STRIPES!

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    ^Based on the description in the article and the size of the image, I'd say the big one on the right is the final design.

The designs on the top row of that image are definately the best - Livelier than the final design. The out-dated design Curbed "leaked" is, I believe, the last one in that set of images. It and the rest of the bottom row are all ugly, strangely porportioned towers. I'm happy with the final design. A crown would make it great, but it works fine without it.

The base is a big question mark. What a pity.

I wonder what the other sides of the building look like. Is the tower L-shaped or T-shaped?
    THe big one on the right is that earlier design. I don't think that that's the one.

^Hmm... I could be wrong, but I don't think we've seen that design previously. It matches the description.

The design is very nice. The way the facade is shaped makes it much more than just anotehr box. Good job.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

Gehry's titanium downtown tower will shimmer 05-JUN-06

The proposed, 74-story skyscraper planned by Forest City Rattner at 8 Spruce Street in Lower Manhattan will have a shimmering titanium façade and hundreds of setbacks.

The tower, which is located one block south of the Manhattan entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge and half a block east of City Hall Park, will have five major “wedding cake” setbacks and the others are stepped within each section in an asymmetrical fashion. The “minor” setbacks are quite shallow, but will give the tower a very complex appearance.

Furthermore, the “major” setbacks will flare outwards lightly and the tower’s verticality is not sheer, but subtly curved with minimal asymmetrical undulations.

The tower, which will be taller than the Woolworth Building on the other side of City Hall Park, will contain 666 rental and condominium apartments. It promises to be the city’s most glistening tower, a serious rival to the Chrysler Building spire.

The design by Frank O. Gehry, who designed the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain that was the most celebrated building on the last quarter century, was revealed in an article by Nicholas Ourossoff in yesterday’s edition of the Arts & Leisure section of the New York Times.

Mr. Ouroussoff’s article, “Skyline for Sale,” notes that Mr. Gehry created more than 70 designs over a two-year-period for the tower, concluding that “The result is an unusually tough design.” “The massing is a response to the bulky McKim, Mead & White municipal building to the north and the 1913 Woolworth Building, its nearest competitor,” Mr. Ouroussoff remarked, added that “the titanium cladding will be rippled, as though etched by rivulets of water. As the light moves across the surface, the waves will seem to change form, giving the impression that the tower is quivering. Inside the apartments, those curves will be repeated.”

Mr. Gehry has also recently unveiled his design for the huge Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn for Forest City Rattner.

Mr. Ouroussoff’s article included 12 photographs of models or renderings designed by Mr. Gehry for the Lower Manhattan project and although the article and caption did not specifically state that the model shown at the right is the “finalized” version it was only one of two large photographs and from the arrangement of the pictures it seemed to be the last chronologically.

One poster at WiredNewYork.com, Ablarc, commented about the designs shown in Mr. Ourossoff’s article that “they’re pretty much all good. Build them all; sprinkle them about the city.”

The overall plan of the building is not asymmetrical, but despite its nuanced irregularities it generally “reads” as a rectilinear tower “wrapped” in grids of punched windows with no indication of mechanical forms.

Mr. Gehry is the architect also of the ITC Corporation’s new headquarters, now under construction, on West Street in Chelsea and his white-glass-clad design there conjures a fleet of sailboats in a very close race and is one of the most beautiful in the city.

His design has for 8 Spruce Street has been eagerly anticipated ever since Santiago Calatrava unveiled his “townhouses-in-the-sky” design for Frank Sciame’s 80 South Street project only a few blocks away to the east and south. The prospect of two major skyscrapers on the east side of Lower Manhattan by two of the world’s most acclaimed architects has tended to somewhat soften widespread concerns over the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site on the west side of Lower Manhattan. Construction has not yet begun at 80 South Street.

The intricacy of Gehry’s design for 8 Spruce Street suggests that it will be a very fitting and stunning architectural descendant of Cass Gilbert’s masterpiece, the Gothic Cathedral-inspired Woolworth Building.

Thumbs down

It looks like we are back to getting the silent treatment as far as this project goes .

I didn't want to comment on this design until it was official but if that large diagram on the right is what we are going to be left with then overall it is unimpressive.

It has some good aspects to it such as the ripples and the titanium clad but the base suxs, its a crownless, spireless flat top and the overall design is out of a pastry shop seen in the Food Network that specializes in wedding cakes not an architects studio (specially one like Gehry).

So as of now it seems like Gehry started with some pretty great and innovative designs and here came Ratner shredding it down to cost efficiency. Now I don't want to rip Ratner too much because at least he did not follow convention and chose someone like Gehry. But considering all the hype generated from himself and others about how great this tower is going be (which I fell for BTW) that design on the right leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe the official announcement will bring some more to the table (perhaps a crown or spire). But as of now after all the wait, hype and anticipation it has been a disappointment.

I'll know better next time.....
    Last edited by TREPYE; June 19th, 2006 at 12:37 AM.

From that series of images it seems Gehry wanted the tower to have a twist to it. I wonder why he finally abandoned that idea. Perhaps it was too costly to engineer? (purely speculation)

The assymetrical massing of the wooden model on the left is more appealing than the somewhat awkward symmetry of the model on the right -- IMHO

^I too like that massing better. But the best thing about that model is that portions of the tower extend to ground level, incorporating the base more seamlessly. Apply the rippling titanium facade treatment seen in the model at right to the massing study on the left; that would have been a great building.

the design looks lke it was made to fit in with the atlantic yards project

Gehry Beekman / Gehry Atlantic Yards = Book Ends