View Poll Results: Do you like the final design of Beekman Place?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 85.71%
  • No

25 14.29%
Page 61 of 341 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Spruce Street - Beekman Tower - by Frank Gehry

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Where did I say they should stop construction?

I use earplugs, too. I live on one of the busiest thoroughfares in Manhattan and am used to "normal" city sounds (sirens, horns, etc.).

I'm not anti-building so please don't try to portray me that way.

It seems you're arguing that developers / builders should be given carte blanche to use whatever means they choose and that no one should say anything -- just shut up as part of the "price" of living in NYC.

I don't buy it.

I notice you say "when I lived in the city" ... where do you live now (what's "B-lo" ??) ?
    I moved to Buffalo to finish school. B-Lo is a nickname that some younger people give the city. I have to admit that living at $500 a month in spacious and quiet quarters is a big change from city living, my goal is to save enough money so that I can buy a studio in an up and coming part of New York City when I graduate. My point is that if a developer made concessions and atleast makes an effort to keep noise down, using an acoustical shroud over the pile drivers and working between set hours, I wouldn't make an issue of construction. Its the price you pay for living in the big city.
    Last edited by NoyokA; September 3rd, 2006 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post

... my goal is to save enough money so that I can buy a studio in an up and coming part of New York City when I graduate.
    Just make sure that the area is not too developed -- so you can enjoy and pay the "price" of construction noise when you return

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Just make sure that the area is not too developed -- so you can enjoy and pay the "price" of construction noise when you return
    Like I said I used to go to sleep with earplugs, you wont hear me complain...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I think they cut off a few floors. This article from the Sun reports...

"A partial building permit was issued last week for a 68-story building with 650 units, designed by architect Frank Gehry and developed by Forest City Ratner, planned to the east of ground zero at 200 Beekman St. At more than 800 feet, it will be one of the city's tallest residential buildings."

Here's the permit. It's the same link that provided the 74 story, 876 feet figures.
    http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...hous=&allstrt=

Do you think that the school is not included in that figure? It refers to 68 stories at the top, but further down, it states that the ultimate number of stories is 74 and is therefore, consistent with prior reports.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 3rd, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

I have no idea but I hope so.
    An article from last week said it was 78 stories, so I guess we'll know for sure on the 14th.

What's expected on the 14th?

"A partial building permit was issued last week for a 68-story building with 650 units, designed by architect Frank Gehry and developed by Forest City Ratner, planned to the east of ground zero at 200 Beekman St. At more than 800 feet, it will be one of the city's tallest residential buildings."
    umm...wouldn't it be THE tallest? I thought Cityspire was the tallest residential building in the city and I think that's just a little over 800'. Might be just a simple inaccuracy although when something is the tallest people ususally mention it in every other sentence.

"The developer will describe the project and answer questions at a public meeting sponsored by CB1 on Sept. 14 at Pace University."

Here's the article,
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=503

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    umm...wouldn't it be THE tallest? I thought Cityspire was the tallest residential building in the city and I think that's just a little over 800'. Might be just a simple inaccuracy although when something is the tallest people ususally mention it in every other sentence.
    The Trump World Tower is the tallest residential in NYC.

Wouldn't this tower be considered mixed-use anyway. It has a school and an ambulatory facility at its base.

Also, even if the number of floors have been reduced that DOB height probably isn't to the top of the building.

I was snapping silhouette pics of downtown and this one really made me think of how I am going to miss the views of the Woolworth Building from the Brooklyn Bridge once Beekman gets built. Great contextualism of a Gothic tower next to a Gothic bridge.

Hey I tried to put my picture up on this post from photoshop and I was unable to. Can someone please tell me how to transfer the picture.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Click "manage attachments". Make sure the image is small enough to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    The Trump World Tower is the tallest residential in NYC.
    Indeed, CitySpire is 814 Feet, Trump World Tower is 861 Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    I was snapping silhouette pics of downtown and this one really made me think of how I am going to miss the views of the Woolworth Building from the Brooklyn Bridge once Beekman gets built. Great contextualism of a Gothic tower next to a Gothic bridge.

Hey I tried to put my picture up on this post from photoshop and I was unable to. Can someone please tell me how to transfer the picture.
    Here it is.....

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/at...1&d=1158125604
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9110349.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	2388  

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Smile

Good job, TREPYE!